Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 22:21   #1

Sun & Sand V 2009 Road Trip

Hi,

The enthu cutlet bug of a new member has bit me too and I'm back with another query. I plan to do a roadtrip this summer from Hyderabad to (some point on Maharashtra coast) and then drive all along NH-17 (visiting the main coastal points along Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, and North Kerala) and then return back to Hyderabad crossing Coorg. I'm calling it the "Sun & Sand V 2009 Road Trip" trip. Sun & Sand because summers and NH-17 all along the coast. "V" because the route map will be like the alphabet "V." If you rotate the alphabet V by 90 degrees anticlockwise and place it with its vertex on Hyderabad in a map, then the route that gets chalked out is V.

I needed help regarding:
- Which is the best route for this highly ambitious trip? From Hyderabad where in Maharashtra should I go to? Again preference is for good roads.
- Once I'm on NH-17 which are the scenic or THE PLACES to visit in coastal Maharashtra, Karnataka and North Kerala?
- Any tips on where should one stay while visiting these places is welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance to all contributors. Since this trip will a biggie I'm planning in advance.

~sumitj
Old 1st March 2009, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
Hi,

I plan to do a roadtrip this summer from Hyderabad to (some point on Maharashtra coast) and then drive all along NH-17 (visiting the main coastal points along Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, and North Kerala) and then return back to Hyderabad crossing Coorg. From Hyderabad where in Maharashtra should I go to? Again preference is for good roads.
- Once I'm on NH-17 which are the scenic or THE PLACES to visit in coastal Maharashtra, Karnataka and North Kerala?
@sumit,
You are thinking about very ambitious plan that too in summer.
Summer is very hot in coastal area. Mostly, people avoid coastal area during summer.
You can start with hydrabad to panvel via solapur and pune.
Once you are at panvel, you have nh17 to travel. You have to hip hop between nh7 and beach. Major beaches in Maharashtra are Alibag, Kihim, Kashid, Diveagar, Harihareshwar, Murud Harnai, Guhagar, HEdvi, Ganapatipule, Kunkeshwar, Malwan[tarkarli], Vengurla, Shiroda.
Out of those beaches, i will suggest to visit Kashid, Ganapatipule and Malwan[tarkarli].
After visiting tarkarli, you can enter in Goa.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:07   #3
rippergeo

Beaches in north kerala

Bekal fort and the beach it stands on- Kasargod
Kauwai Beach- Kannur
Kappad beach-near calicut
Muzhupillangad beach-Calicut
Thalassery/Mahe stretch has a nice coastal road.

There's plenty of beaches, but these are the really famous ones.
will you be coming down as far south as Calicut?

Beaches in Mangalore
Ullal- Nothing special
Someshwar- really nice rocks from which to look out over the sea.
lots of really good unnamed beaches that are off the beaten track.
I walked 18kms on the beach one summer, started from Ullal in the morning, walked southwards till I was exhausted and sunburnt, then turned back towards the east, found the highway somewher past thalapady, took a bus back to my car. Interesting walk. You could do it if you're mad!

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st March 2009 at 12:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks