Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 13:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Delhi/Chandigarh to Dehradun : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I had done this route around 9 months ago and the road conditions were pretty good, throughout the journey, only near paonta sahib there was only a small patch of the rough road but nothing too bad.
Not sure how the roads are now but I'd assume same as before if not better.

I am visiting Dehradun myself next month and will take this route only.
Thanks for reverting. Sounds good to me; I’ll update the forum regarding road conditions after completing the trip. Cheers
Old 23rd February 2019, 16:17   #47
BHPian

Hello!

I just returned from a trip to Dehradun from Gurgaon so thought I'll provide an update on road conditions.

I took the following route:

Gurgaon > Delhi > Karnal > Kurukshetra > Ladwa > Yamunanagar > Paonta Sahib > Dehradun

The road conditions are mostly good throughout the way. The stretch between Yamunanagar and Kalesar National Park was slightly battered with potholes but it wasn't too bad. The traffic is mostly sparse in this route so the drive is relaxed and also quite scenic, especially after you exit Haryana.

By the way, while in Dehradun, I had to make a day trip to Saharanpur. It was then that I saw how absolutely messed up the road is between Dehradun and Chhutmalpur/Saharanpur. Road widening work is going on in this stretch and the diversions that have been created to enable traffic flow are more like dirt tracks than anything. Even the road between Dehradun and Mohand - the once-charming hilly drive - is full of potholes.

Therefore, if you plan on driving down to Dehradun/Mussourie from Delhi anytime in the near future then I highly recommend the route that I took, i.e. through Paonta Sahib.
c_trivedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:52   #48
BHPian

Well, it seems I am the most active member on this thread

Anyway, I recently drove from Dehradun to Chandigarh (and back) and thought a quick review of the route might be useful for people.

I took the route through Paonta Sahib, using Google Maps. The roads are okay mostly - and quite scenic - except for a few kilometres around Naraingarh, where they are battered with potholes. Luckily this not-so-good stretch doesn't last for long. Be aware that there aren't many good stopover points along the way. (There are dhabas and restaurants dotted around but most don't look very, shall we say, inviting.) We had lunch at Maharaja Dhaba, which is between Paonta Sahib and Aduwala on Shimla Bypass Road, where the food was good and washrooms were clean, though the place could've done with a few air-coolers. If you're travelling with a toddler then I'd suggest you carry ample food for a 4-hour drive.

Happy and safe travels.
Old 29th June 2022, 15:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
Anyway, I recently drove from Dehradun to Chandigarh (and back) and thought a quick review of the route might be useful for people.
You totally missed out on the new highway that takes you to Dehradun from Nada Sahib, not as scenic as the Paonta route;
the smooth highway makes the drive a breeze and is a lot more stress-free than the Paonta sahib route.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th June 2022 at 23:19. Reason: Trimmed quote.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 23:19   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You totally missed out on the new highway that takes you to Dehradun from Nada Sahib
Correct, I hope you are referring to this new road-

https://goo.gl/maps/5T2i1RimUSz1kuiv9
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You totally missed out on the new highway that takes you to Dehradun from Nada Sahib, not as scenic as the Paonta route;
the smooth highway makes the drive a breeze and is a lot more stress-free than the Paonta sahib route.
Thanks for pointing that out. Could you elaborate on this route please? Is this the one that bypasses Yamunanagar and Saharanpur before connecting to Dehradun via Mohand?
Old 1st July 2022, 15:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Correct, I hope you are referring to this new road-

https://goo.gl/maps/5T2i1RimUSz1kuiv9
Thanks. Your link takes me to the original route through Paonta Sahib, which I took. I presume you wanted to share a different one?
Old 1st July 2022, 16:13   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
Thanks. Your link takes me to the original route through Paonta Sahib, which I took. I presume you wanted to share a different one?
Yes, here is the correct link

https://goo.gl/maps/rUM4iAcHaUD9Gey76
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 11:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, here is the correct link

https://goo.gl/maps/rUM4iAcHaUD9Gey76
Thanks for this - I recently drove to Chandigarh from Doon again and took the route you suggested instead of the one via Paonta Sahib. It was a pretty decent drive with no issues whatsoever - nice wide highway all the way, by-passing Saharanpur and Yamunanagar, straight on to Panchkula and finally Chandigarh. There was a bit of toll to be paid but I think that was totally worth it.
c_trivedi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks