Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Munnar : Recommendations for Hotel/Resorts/Homestay

Not sure if you have already travelled to munnar but i stayed at Elysium Garden resorts.Its nearby town and next to KTDC tea county. Great prices. i booked through Kerala.com and got a great deal :-)
Elysium:Clean rooms, Nice view, Ok Food, In all it was nice. We took a cottage though.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hope the dent(s) on your Spark has(have) been wiped clean!
Have a safe drive.
Yup, its all fixed. Didn't claim the insurance though. Glad you remember that

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
2) Get a good discount - A good one I should say. A fellow bhpian experienced this few months ago.
Could you let me know who that was ? Would like to know more about this place. It seems good with attractive prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I had stayed at Clouds Valley in May end this year. It was really good and very close to the town near the KSRTC Bus stand Munnar Sports council gound. Off season tariff may be in the range you are looking for. Food was good at their restaurant.
You can also try Abad Castle, Chancellor Resorts/Ayur County (both in same campus, tariffs are different) - these were other places that were recommended to me by other members here but they were fully booked at that time. Off season tariffs in these places should also be in your budget. KTDC Tea County is also good but i'm not sure if their tariffs will fall in your budget, nothing wrong in checking with them though. A simple search on the net should get you websites/contact information for these resorts/hotels and you can get the tariffs (most should have off season discounts now).
Also, earlier you start from Bangalore the better (between 5-6am is ideal), especially on weekends/holidays.
Hope this helps.
KTDC Tea county seems expensive. Cloud valley is little bit of a stretch, but its ok. I can afford it. Have any idea about ayur ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Not sure if you have already travelled to munnar but i stayed at Elysium Garden resorts.Its nearby town and next to KTDC tea county. Great prices. i booked through Kerala.com and got a great deal :-)
Elysium:Clean rooms, Nice view, Ok Food, In all it was nice. We took a cottage though.
Looks good in their website with great prices. The only downer in that case is food being ok.

Probably must settle for one among Ayur county, Elysium Garden and Cloud valley.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:07   #33
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
KTDC Tea county seems expensive. Cloud valley is little bit of a stretch, but its ok. I can afford it. Have any idea about ayur ?

Probably must settle for one among Ayur county, Elysium Garden and Cloud valley.
I remember seeing few posts in other threads on TBHP mentioning good review of Ayur. If I remember correctly, Ayur County/Chancellor resorts is closer to Chinnakanal which is almost 20+km on the other side of Munnar town so if you take the udumalaipet-chinnar-marayoor route you will first reach munnar town and then you will have to drive over to the other side which can take about an hour. Also, most of the sightseeing places like echo point, matupetty dam are closer to the town side compared to chinnakanal side. If you are taking the Theni-Poopara route then you reach chinnakanal first so consider your routing also when deciding.
You may also want to look up some of the munnar travelogue threads where you can find more recommendations for stay options and places to see.

Last edited by NPV : 4th August 2011 at 07:09.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:40   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Could you let me know who that was ? Would like to know more about this place. It seems good with attractive prices.
His name is Rajesh and "Antonian" is his handle here.
Old 6th August 2011, 11:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I remember seeing few posts in other threads on TBHP mentioning good review of Ayur. If I remember correctly, Ayur County/Chancellor resorts is closer to Chinnakanal which is almost 20+km on the other side of Munnar town so if you take the udumalaipet-chinnar-marayoor route you will first reach munnar town and then you will have to drive over to the other side which can take about an hour. Also, most of the sightseeing places like echo point, matupetty dam are closer to the town side compared to chinnakanal side. If you are taking the Theni-Poopara route then you reach chinnakanal first so consider your routing also when deciding.
You may also want to look up some of the munnar travelogue threads where you can find more recommendations for stay options and places to see.
That is correct. Ayur County is almost near the Club Mahindra and Sterling resorts. (They are on either sides of the valley)..and yes they are a good distance from the center... like 20 kms..All the other places to see on the top station side is exactly the other side. So if your plan is to see these places.you could take some places closeby to the town.
Old 20th August 2011, 11:09   #36
Team-BHP Support

I was looking for a tea estate homestay/bungalow for a trip to Munnar sometime in October with my parents (dussehra or diwali). I narrowed down on Tallayar valley bungalow but they seem to be overpriced. Anyone here who visited this place and could give me pointers on whether they are worth that money? Also, how are Aranyaka homestay and Windermere estate? Tripadvisor reviews seem to give them a good rating

I am open to other ideas also but it has to be a plantation/estate homestay with some good amount of land around it. I don't need any indoor/outdoor games/swimming pool or any such facilties. It will just be the 3 of us (parents+me) in this trip and when away from the estate, we would be visiting places/hiking/trekking. The usual run-of-the-mill hotels are strictly prohibited

P.S - I will be driving to Munnar, so please suggest something which a T-jet/swift can get to, estates with 4x4 OTR approach routes would be a bit of a problem. I had some bad experiences with my accent earlier in the western ghats

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th August 2011 at 11:20.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Check this one (ref: TL by vindywheels)
The place looks good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ays-bliss.html

So the T-Jet is going to rip?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

I am open to other ideas also but it has to be a plantation/estate homestay with some good amount of land around it. I don't need any indoor/outdoor games/swimming pool or any such facilties. It will just be the 3 of us (parents+me) in this trip and when away from the estate, we would be visiting places/hiking/trekking. The usual run-of-the-mill hotels are strictly prohibited
:: Abad Copper Castle, Munnar, Kerala, India ::

this is the place i stayed 4 years back when in went to munnar, it was very quite place and liked it too since it is out of main area chaos and a good place,
I cannot say best since this was the only place stayed at
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 16:18   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check this one (ref: TL by vindywheels)
The place looks good.

So the T-Jet is going to rip?
Thanks a lot ampere, that thread is exactly what I wanted I echo VindyWheels' thoughts there on seeking out estate bungalows. I will find out about that Chundavurrai Top Bunglow in Munnar, the place looks simply out of this world!

I have around 4-5 days with me. After going through that picturesque thread, I think I should split my itinerary and make it 3 days at Munnar and 1 day at Kodaikanal

Yeah, the T-jet needs a good highway run. Hopefully the running-in and the first service will be complete by september

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post

this is the place i stayed 4 years back when in went to munnar, it was very quite place and liked it too since it is out of main area chaos and a good place,
I cannot say best since this was the only place stayed at
Is it a proper, multi-storey hotel with plenty of rooms? I would be specifically inclined towards estate bungalows this time to get away from the hustle and bustle of the town, and from other tourists. I'll keep this place also in mind since you mention it was in a quiet area.
Old 20th August 2011, 18:44   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I have around 4-5 days with me. After going through that picturesque thread, I think I should split my itinerary and make it 3 days at Munnar and 1 day at Kodaikanal
Karthik,

Somehow I feel, you should just go to Munnar alone.
Maybe instead of Kodai, go to Thekkadi for a day.

I quote Ranjitp1 on this. You can go to Thekkady early in the morning,
enjoy the wild life sanctuary (WLS) and boat ride be back by evening.

After experiencing Munnar, I am sure you will have different impressions
about Kodai. If you want to go to a different place, you can stay at Club Mahindra in Thekkady also.
Old 20th August 2011, 20:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Avoid the Jeep Safari in Thekkadi as the forrest is full of leaches right now. Do the last boat trip which is at 3.30 and you will see many more animals than on the Jeep safari...and you will not be bitten by leaches !!!
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 06:37   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Karthik,

Somehow I feel, you should just go to Munnar alone.
Maybe instead of Kodai, go to Thekkadi for a day.

I quote Ranjitp1 on this. You can go to Thekkady early in the morning,
enjoy the wild life sanctuary (WLS) and boat ride be back by evening.

After experiencing Munnar, I am sure you will have different impressions
about Kodai. If you want to go to a different place, you can stay at Club Mahindra in Thekkady also.
That sounds like a better plan than going to Kodaikanal. I'd completely forgotten about Thekkady. If it is possible to do Thekkady in a day and get back to the estate homestay by evening, even better for me. I'll keep Kodai for another separate trip as you suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Avoid the Jeep Safari in Thekkadi as the forrest is full of leaches right now. Do the last boat trip which is at 3.30 and you will see many more animals than on the Jeep safari...and you will not be bitten by leaches !!!
thanks for that advice. I'll keep it in mind when i go to Thekkady. By the way, how do leeches get into a jeep if we don't set foot in the forest at all? I've had leeches falling from tree leaves while trekking in the rainforests of Agumbe but that route was on foot and had really dense vegetation. Is Thekkady forest that dense?

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st August 2011 at 06:43.
Old 21st August 2011, 19:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

The forest is pretty thick in Thekkadi, and its surprising how the leaches get to you even when you are wearing those leach socks they provide.

My son had one bit behind his ear and I had one on my leg.

Funny part is that you don't feel a thing when they bite but when its pulled out the blood won't stop flowing for quiet a while
Old 1st September 2011, 20:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Accomodation at Munnar

Hi Guys,

Out team planning an offsite at Munnar for a couple of days. The team size is around 18-20.

Note: This is not a company sponsored and hence this budget oriented.

Would the guys familiar with Munnar to suggest a good place with a VFM tariff.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 2nd September 2011, 05:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accomodation at Munnar

I am not sure how much is the Budget Oriented for this trip, but i remember when we went with our group few years back we stayed here.

Bella Vista - Cottages

Each room was able to accommodate two adults and a bed was put for a third one. The stay at time was comfortable and food was nice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks