Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 05:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accomodation at Munnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
C
Chancellor/Ayur County is located on the Chinnakanal side so when you drive from the Theni-Bodi side you can reach this resort quicker than from the Munnar town side (via Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Marayoor).
Looked at Google Map for the route, wouldnt the extra time that i take to cross Munnar town be similar to taking a detour to Dindigul-Theni-Bodi? Look at map below.

Munnar : Recommendations for Hotel/Resorts/Homestay-screen-shot-20120524-5.26.22-am.png
Old 24th May 2012, 06:05   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Looked at Google Map for the route, wouldnt the extra time that i take to cross Munnar town be similar to taking a detour to Dindigul-Theni-Bodi? Look at map below.
The distances may be same, but the route via Udumalpet to Munnar is about 90km through the ghats and add another 22 to reach Chinnakanal (Again through the ghats).
So effective you drive for almost 3.5 hours in the ghats. Thats the reason it increases the time. On the other side its not that long a distance in the ghats.

Theni has a decent bypass.

Theni bypass link

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2012 at 06:06.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 07:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The distances may be same, but the route via Udumalpet to Munnar is about 90km through the ghats and add another 22 to reach Chinnakanal (Again through the ghats).
Thanks @Amp, Just so i got that right, what you are recommending is to take the Salem->Karur->Dindigul->Theni->Bodi route instead. I have tried this route when we went to Kodai so i am aware how it is.

Another question, is the other route more scenic as its all the way through ghats?
Old 24th May 2012, 08:14   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another question, is the other route more scenic as its all the way through ghats?
Yes thats the route I am recommending while going to Munnar.

Yes, its very scenic. But on the return don't miss the Udumalpet route too! In fact its more scenic than Theni one.
Since while going you would be in a rush to reach before fading light, you may not get time to stop at many places on
the way. Hence I suggest to take the Udumalpet route via returning.

Since you would be just going back home and would be fine to drive back in the evenings/fading lights/dark in the plains,
you can afford to stop at many places and admire the route from Munnar to Udumalpet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 23:15   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How would this compare with Chinnakanal, or any other resort?

We are planning a longish drive before the school starts
Mayank - If you're considering Chancellor/Ayur Resorts do look up KTDC's Tea County also - this is very close to the Munnar town. Also search the travelogues section since you can find some good reviews and pictures of Tea County from TBHPians.
Others that I've heard about (positive reviews) are Tall Trees, Sienna Village, etc but I think these are located away from town (and also expensive). Hope this helps.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 23:26   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Mayank - If you're considering Chancellor/Ayur Resorts do look up KTDC's Tea County also - this is very close to the Munnar town. Also search the travelogues section since you can find some good reviews and pictures of Tea County from TBHPians.
Others that I've heard about (positive reviews) are Tall Trees, Sienna Village, etc but I think these are located away from town (and also expensive). Hope this helps.
I second that. Tea County must be the best hotel within or near the town. Being a govt property it is expansive and occupies prime real estate. The rates are high but are probably worth it.
Old 24th May 2012, 23:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I second that. Tea County must be the best hotel within or near the town. Being a govt property it is expansive and occupies prime real estate. The rates are high but are probably worth it.
How about the service? Cleanliness?
I am always skeptical about Government properties. Recently, I stayed at Hotel Chaitram (KTDC Property) at Trivandrum and not impressed at all.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 24th May 2012 at 23:45.
Old 24th May 2012, 23:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
How about the service? Cleanliness?
I am always skeptical about Government properties. Recently, I stayed at Hotel Chaitram at Trivandrum and not impressed at all.
It's on long term lease to a private party, so have no reservations.

Service is good. The restaurant is expensive, but many other dining choices are available within a walking distance.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:33   #69

Re: Munnar : Recommendations for Hotel/Resorts/Homestay

I stayed at SN Tourist Home recently.

Plus: closer to Munnar Town and easier to reach Eravikulam National Park and Mattupetty Dam; sufficient parking in and around the hotel

Minus: basic accommodation – a decent lodge basically; no fans in room so have to keep windows open; very very noisy from traffic below; smelly room; Attached restaurant serves limited options especially for vegetarians; Running hot water only for a couple of hours in the morning and evening

My view: Good for adults looking for budget accommodation. Kids who are used to resorts will not like this.
Old 29th May 2012, 01:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsivakumar
no fans in room
Seriously I'm yet to come across at least a single hotel in hilly areas (read Munnar, Kodaikanal and likes) that have a fan. Anyone?
Old 29th May 2012, 06:24   #71
mo1
BHPian

I stayed in T&U Hotel in the month of April-2012 for 2 nights. It is located ~1km from Munnar town. T and U
Here is my experience about it:
- Some of the rooms have a view of tea plantations
- Rooms are big,neat and clean
- Staff is courteous and helpful
- Restaurant has a great view and food is great too! bit expensive though
- They provide you with lot of small but useful things in the room(a comb,sewing kit,a diary,pen and other standard stuff such as soap,hair oil etc)
- There is a Tea/coffee maker in the room
- There is a nice garden with play things for kids
- A tea plantation is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel

It's a nice hotel overall especially if you are with your family.
Old 12th August 2012, 21:38   #72
BHPian

Hi, I am planning for Munnar from Aug 16 to Aug 19. Since we are 3 adults (self, wife and MIL), I wanted to book something like a 2 bedroom cottage or a cottage that has a living room where an extra bec can be accomodated. Looking for a room at 5K / night.

On tripadvisor, I found some B&B's which look very inviting and have great reviews. But am not able to place the location w.r.t distance & time taken from Munnar town - e.g. Chithirapuram, Moolakada, Karadippara, etc. Since I am with family, I do not want a location that is too isolated or unsafe. Any suggestions friends??

Pasting the link that had these B&Bs.

Hotels in Munnar - TripAdvisor
Old 12th August 2012, 21:44   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Pasting the link that had these B&Bs.
Check out Sienna Village. They have a two room system. The place is in Chinnakanal
about a km down from Club Mahindra.

Siena Village
Old 12th August 2012, 22:13   #74
BHPian

No availability in Sienna on the dates I am looking. Also out of my budget too :-(
Old 12th August 2012, 22:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend I was in Munnar with my colleagues, a team of 15 members! We stayed in Pulimootil Guest House on Mankulam Road. We paid 750/- per head per day.

A very secluded place away from the busy life, there is no cellphone network too. Good spot for a perfect vacation

Pulimoottil Estate : Home

1. We had booked a 4 Bedroom Bungalow, but then the bungalow was given to another family on trip due to some confusion. We were offered an amazing deal of getting a 3 Bedroom Bungalow & 3 Deluxe rooms for the same price as that of the initial booking.
2. Hospitality is very good. Very courteous staff!
3. Food is very good too, the choice on the menu was very limited! But if you could tell them in advance about what you want, they will make the dishes for you.

Last edited by anachronix : 12th August 2012 at 22:27.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed