Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 10:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Scuba Diving thread!

By restarting a thread which is idle for more than 2 yrs. Anyone in the forum done / keen on doing PADI open water scuba course. Iam located in bangalore and been planning of doing one since long time. Checked with planet scuba over weekend and they quoted 12k for the theory/ swimming pool sessions and 9 K for 4 certification dives at sea. Total 21K.
End of which you get PADI certified. Once that is done you can go to any location on the world.

However, I dont live on a beach. And apart from Andaman and Lakshwadeep I may not go to any place which has great scuba diving spots too. Hence thinking twice if its really needed to go for the certification.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:02   #17
BANNED

I did this some months back at netrani island. it was organized by BMC( Bangalore Mountaineering Club - South India's most active adventure club ) and had instructors from divegoa.

you can contact bmc for more details, or send me a pm as i might not check this tread often.
sfilinto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 11:16   #18
Team-BHP Support

I have done Scuba diving at Lacadives dive centre, Kadmat island, Lakshadweep. Costs are pretty economical here and the facility is quite good. At Lakshadweep, waters are also unspoilt and pristine since very few tourists actually come here. I would in fact rate the dive quality (ability to see underwater life and scenery) better than maldives/mauritius for this reason. You have to go through SPORTS, lakshadweep for any packages. They operate between october and May and are closed for the monsoon. Only Agatti and Bangaram are open to foreign tourists as far as I know. The other islands are all kind of restricted so they are not polluted in any way.

Society for Promotion of Nature Tourism and Sports - Lakshadweep Tourism

If you want to stick to diving in India (to avoid costs of a foreign trip), Lakshadweep is the best place I can think of. Andamans are also good. Goa/Karwar, other places of western coast, etc do not even come close to the beauty and the unspoilt ambience of Lakshadweep/andamans.

You can do scuba diving even if you don't know swimming. We were 3 friends and one of my friends didn't know swimming. Managed quite well. In this case the instructor will tow and/or guide the non-swimmer around underwater. Breathing is anyway done with the help of the artificial appratus, so is sinking / coming to the surface with the help of a buoyancy control device.

PM me if you want any details on costs/packages/details I took for scuba diving or the Lakshadweep trip itself

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th July 2011 at 11:20.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Guys,
Recently did the first two stages of Scuba diving at Lacadives centre in Mumbai.
Planning to get the certification by doing the next two stages coming weekend on 16th Dec,at Tarkarli, around 400 kms from Pune.
Need info on where to buy the dry suites in Pune. Pls help.

Experience at Lacadives was really good in Mumbai. They make you feel very comfortable in water and induce confidence.
Their way of teaching is also superb. Very Interactive.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 14:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

In India the best places for scuba diving is lakshadweep (Kadmat island by SPORTS) and Andamans (Havelock ) by Barefoot. My frined had an amazing experience with Barefoot few weeks back and loved it. Welcome to the Andaman Islands! Resorts in Havelock Island, PADI scuba diving, dive resort, flights from Bangkok to Port Blair, eco-tours and more in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, India. Scuba dive andamans, Andaman Nicobar, andamans resort,holidays

Closer home, Check with Jungle Lodges in Devbagh if they arrange in Netrani island off Karwar coast. Here are some details i got from Outlook Traveller on Netrani. Not sure about prices though.

Goa-based Barracuda Diving (0832-6656294, 9822182402, www.barracudadiving.com) organises diving and snorkelling trips off Netrani island in north Karnataka. The outfit operate their diving and snorkelling trips from and to Goa.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fauji : 7th December 2011 at 14:55.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Go through the following thread for more information on Scuba and problems associated with it. We (me and wife) went to Vietnam for a certification, did it for a day and gave up, unfortunately did not work out for us!! But the experience of 25 feet underwater was worth a life time, the world underneath is something out of a dream.

We have not given up, would try it again.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ambodia-3.html

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th December 2011 at 15:12.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:08   #22
Team-BHP Support

My wife and I did scuba diving at Nethrani Island this summer. We went via Turtle Bay in Kundapur. My wife is an expert swimmer, I am so so. But it made no difference. But it is the waiting above water that tires you out.

It is an amazing experience, especially the first time. It was nice to have diving center just 100kms from home. Might do it again.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd April 2012 at 11:59.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:47   #23
BHPian

@Samurai> How was the underwater visibility?

Having dived a lot in my years in the Indian Navy, my preferred choices:

1. Maldives. The # 1 destination for SCUBA Divers.
2. Lakshadweep but not in the shallow waters.
3. A&N> The Baros and Bandos Islands were good.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
@Samurai> How was the underwater visibility?
Well, I have no reference point. But good enough for our purpose. I did take some videos and photos under water using the camera provided by them. Sorry about the quality, unfamiliar camera and under water.

These were shot 30ft below surface.

The Scuba Diving thread!-ihh33jnwxl.jpg

The Scuba Diving thread!-ir78qmkpxl.jpg

The Scuba Diving thread!-ihw9sv5lxl.jpg

The Scuba Diving thread!-iwccjxjqxl.jpg

The Scuba Diving thread!-imx25b4sxl.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

The other option is also DIVEIndia - PADI, SSI & NAUI Scuba Diving Centre in the Andamans, India in the Andamans which have been around in this business for a while.

@Samurai - Jealous of u again - Diving spots just 100km from home? Damn!!
Old 7th December 2011, 18:44   #26
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, yeah... Scuba diving 100kms away & white water rafting 33kms away.

BTW, the Nethrani Island dive is conducted by PADI.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

conducted by PADI or PADI certified?

but still .. WTH! grrrrr...

and you forgot. world class offroad trail in yer backyard!!
Old 7th December 2011, 19:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
conducted by PADI or PADI certified?
Here is their web site. Hmm, just realized our instructor (Rawat) was the owner/founder of the center. They even conduct divemaster course.

Dreamz Diving

Last edited by Samurai : 7th December 2011 at 19:16.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Samurai, the visibility is adequate. But the corals are dead and calcified. The next level for Scuba, has to be Maldives.
Old 29th February 2012, 17:47   #30
BHPian

There's a new dive centre open in Pondicherry. www.templeadventures.com. They also have a surf school.

I'm thinking of giving it a shot next month (March 2012). I am already AOWD certified from PADI.

Most Viewed