Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 18:28   #1
BHPian

Route to Thoduphuza from Banglore.

My friend wants to go to Thoduphuza drving an Omni from Banglore next Saturday. This is the route I suggested to him.

Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mattur - Bhavani - Perudurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalapet - Munnar - Kotamangalam - Muvvattupuzha - Thodupuzha.

There is an other route suggested by another friend.

Banglore - Palakkad - Mannuthi - Chalakkudi - Angamali - Muvvattupuzha - Thodupuzha

I need your help in finding the best and faster to route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:16   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
My friend wants to go to Thoduphuza drving an Omni from Banglore next Saturday. This is the route I suggested to him.

Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mattur - Bhavani - Perudurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalapet - Munnar - Kotamangalam - Muvvattupuzha - Thodupuzha.

There is an other route suggested by another friend.

Banglore - Palakkad - Mannuthi - Chalakkudi - Angamali - Muvvattupuzha - Thodupuzha

I need your help in finding the best and faster to route.

Thanks in advance.
It depends on what is the nature of the trip if you ask me.
1st route will be less traffic + more turns + more time but will be worth it.

2nd route will be Flat Highway most of the way with lots of mad traffic but will take less time.

Omni is neither a mile muncher nor a corner carver.
So faster does't make much of a difference in this case.

Personally I'd take the munnar route.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
It depends on what is the nature of the trip if you ask me.
1st route will be less traffic + more turns + more time but will be worth it.

2nd route will be Flat Highway most of the way with lots of mad traffic but will take less time.

Omni is neither a mile muncher nor a corner carver.
So faster does't make much of a difference in this case.

Personally I'd take the munnar route.
Thanks for the information. What would be the extra time if one takes Munnar route?? How is the route from Munnar to Muvvattuphuza?

If you take Munnar is it possible to reach in a day? My friend cannot start before 7 am in the morning. Most probably he would start at 8 am in the morning from Banglore. Will he be able to do the route via Munnar by night??

One more query, what is the route to be taken from Banglore to Palakkad??
Old 13th March 2009, 19:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Thanks for the information. What would be the extra time if one takes Munnar route?? How is the route from Munnar to Muvvattuphuza?

If you take Munnar is it possible to reach in a day? My friend cannot start before 7 am in the morning. Most probably he would start at 8 am in the morning from Banglore. Will he be able to do the route via Munnar by night??

One more query, what is the route to be taken from Banglore to Palakkad??
Munnar to Muvattupuzha road is really good.
Night yes you can, at this time its not gonna be foggy or anything still its better to cover if during the day.

If his intention is to get to Thodupuzha from Bangalore (meaning its no sight seeing/ pleasure trip) stay with the below route.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem (NH7 ends)
(NH47 starts) Salem - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Vadakkenchery - Trichur (no need to enter town) - Chalakkudi - Angamali (get off NH to MC Road, SH1 I think) - Muvattupuzha (SH8) - Thodupuzha.

Time difference I'm not sure the above mentioned route can be done in around 9-11 hours.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:01   #5
BHPian

@yzfrJ. Thanks a lot for the information. It is certainly helpful.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:21   #6
BHPian

You can try this route also

Bangalore - Mysore - Bandipur/Madhumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Trichur - Angamali - MC Road - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha.

Leave by 7am reach by 5pm/6pm/7pm (depends on how you drive/sightseeing etc)
Old 13th March 2009, 20:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
You can try this route also

Bangalore - Mysore - Bandipur/Madhumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Trichur - Angamali - MC Road - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha.

Leave by 7am reach by 5pm/6pm/7pm (depends on how you drive/sightseeing etc)
How are the roads on this route compared to other two roads? Any reduction in number of km compared to other two routes?
Old 13th March 2009, 23:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ravi,

Fastest would be thro. Mettur, Bhavani, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Angamally, Muvatupuzha, Todupuzha. On an omini if you start by 7 am you should be able to reach by 7 pm, if you drive steady with 1/2 breaks of 30 minutes.

Long back, when it's NOT 4 track, we have done on an OMNI, Bangalore- Cochin in 10 hours, the Coimbatore-Cochin run was 3hrs (midnight run) getting out of Bangalore was much more easier.

If you take the Munnar route, you'd need more time. I don't know the conditions, time and distance, Udumalapet to Munnar, I think it would be twisties, at least 3-4 hours as it would be uphill. From Munnar down, Adimali, Kothamangalam (is there a route without touching Kothamangalam?), Muvatupuzha, Todupuzha would be about 110-120 kms, 3 hours. It would be best to stay in Munnar, enjoy it in the morning and drive down in the morning.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 13th March 2009 at 23:38.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can go to Thodupuzha without touching Kothamangalam by going from Neriamangalam also.

No way you can start at 8 am and reach Thodupuzha via Munnar the same day. Fast and best is the Coimbatore route.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
If his intention is to get to Thodupuzha from Bangalore (meaning its no sight seeing/ pleasure trip) stay with the below route.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem (NH7 ends)
(NH47 starts) Salem - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Vadakkenchery - Trichur (no need to enter town) - Chalakkudi - Angamali (get off NH to MC Road, SH1 I think) - Muvattupuzha (SH8) - Thodupuzha.

Time difference I'm not sure the above mentioned route can be done in around 9-11 hours.
After Dharmapuri, take right from Thoppur towards Mettur, you will meet NH 47 at Bhavani.

Should be able to do till coimbatore in about 6 hours. Have not gone in that direction, after coimbatore.
Old 14th March 2009, 07:44   #11
BHPian

As per the current road condition and information collected from folks traveled in Udumalpettai-Munnar route, it will take approximately 8 to 10hrs to reach Munnar from Bangalore.

From Munnar to Thodupuzha, you can take the Munnar-Adimali-Oonnukal (take a left here to Thodupuzha - opposite to a Big High School there)-Paingottur-Thodupuzha. This is without touching Kothamangalam. You can do this distance in 2 to 2.5 Hrs.
Munnar-Adimali = 33Kms
Adimali-Oonnukal = 38Kms
Oonnukal-Thodupuzha = 23Kms

From my own experience in other route (BLR-Mettur-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha), it will take 11 Hrs till Muvattupuzha and then hopefylly 30 to 45 minutes from there to reach Thodupuzha.

As everyone is suggesting in this thread, the difference is in the road - if your friend is well experienced in driving on ghat roads and interested is scenic route, ask them to take the Munnar route. Also note that the Udumalpettai-Munnar route is very risky after 5:00pm.

If the traget is only time, then, ask your friend to take the Palakkad route. It would be smooth drive and less tiring.
Old 14th March 2009, 07:46   #12
BHPian

Also - Checkout Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar for road info between Bangalore and Munnar
Old 14th March 2009, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Another route to Thodupuzha is: Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-BodiNaykannur-Pooppara-Rajakkad-Adimali-Thodupuzha.

Route from bangalore to Salem is very good - NH7. Salem to Dindigul is also NH7 - but, four laning work was going on. Not sure whether it is completed.

if the 4 laning is done till Dindigul, one can reach Dindigul in 5 Hrs from Bangalore. Last time when I drove, I did it in 6.5 Hrs (staretd at 5:30am from bangalore). Dindigul to Pooppara will be another 3.5Hrs. Pooppara to Adimali - around 2 to 2.5Hrs. Adimail to Thodupuzha can be done in 1.5Hrs.

Note that the Bodi-Poopara is ghat road. Keep honking at curves till you reach pooppara. Local drivers are familiar with the route and will come at great speeds .Scenic drive.

Approx distances:
Bangalore - Salem: 200Km
Salem-Namakkal: 50Km
Namakkal-Karur: 43Km
Karur-Dindigul: 81Km (At Dindigul bye pass, watch out for Kodai route on right and take that)
Dindigul-Vattalgundu: 30Km
Vattalgundu-Theni: 40Km (After Theni, take right on to Bodi - NH49)
Theni-Bodi: 16Km
Bodi-Pooppara: 35Km
Pooppara-Rajakkad:11Km
Rajakkad-Ponmudi: 5Km
Ponmudi-Adimali: 13Km
Adimali-Oonnukal: 38Km
Oonnukal-Thodupuzha: 23Km

Anyone who traveled in this route recently - please comment on current road conditions in this route.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Biju,

Thanks for the detailed information, have saved it away for future use.

There was a time I used to drive up once in two months, Cochin-Munnar and work around that area. The Adimaly, Kambilikandam, Kunjithanni, Rajakad routes were regular routes.

--Ramky

=====
Old 18th March 2009, 14:40   #15
BHPian

Ramkya1, hvkumar, bijuks, and arindamray; thank you so much for the valuble information. We are happy to see lots of options. Personally I too prefer the Munnar route for its scenic beauty. Once I drove the Udumalpet-Munnar route and it would take aorund 2.5 hours. Lets see what my friend prefers.

Also I am happy to see the shourtcut "Munnar-Adimali-Oonnukal - Thoduphuza. Thanks Biju.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks