Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 06:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

1. River crossing, fishing, hiking around, trekking
2. Himalayan Trout house & others. PM devil.dj for more. Assume ~2k per night excl discounts
3. Quite decent. Narrow road but otherwise decent. You could manage 50-60 except for traffic
4. If you give enough intimation in the hills, you should be able to get NV food/trout
5. Didn't follow - you may not get pepsi easily post banjar. some sorta booze may be available

Should work - though in those areas, there are always sections of the road for few hundred m, where no signal is received.
Old 18th March 2009, 06:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

Stay at FRH at Sai Ropa. ~ 350/night.
The guy there will cook whatever you want, or you can drive to shringi vatika for food
go through my travelogue for details.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Shringi Vatika at Ghiyagi is awesome and nice, but quite cramped for the ~550 they nowadays ask.

There was a lovelier property a couple of km before it called the mother's retreat or such - but that seemed to be a private place. There's also a nature resorts couple of km before ghiyagi - some 30m up the hill. Decent rooms, ask for the front two ones - 101 if i recall right. Their MRP is some 1700-2500 nonsense but 1k is what's right.

But yes, there's so much good feedback on Himalayan trout House so check that side as well. Ofc, call in advance and confirm.

I have the number for Shringi only ( 01903-227029). For HTH, pm devil.dj
Old 18th March 2009, 11:38   #19
BHPian

@tsk, yes i did go through your travelogue. Tirthan seems to be an awesome option. The pictures the you have put up are simply breath taking. Now not even a bit of doubt that I'm heading to Tirthan.

So, I guess we can't book FRH in advance, right !! It's only if its available that day, one can get it ?

@Phamilyman, what's the mother's retreat. I can't locate it. Although, I bumped across Banjara retreat. A bit expensive but looks good.

So, I have 4 options
1. Himalayan Trout House - What's the final price one can expect after discounts ?
2. Banjara - MRP is 4400. I guess we should get it in 2K or further bargain possible.
3. FRH, Sai Ropa - On the spot decision
4. The nature resort you mentioned for 1 K/ night.

Ideally my budget is 1-1.5 K night but wouldn't mind upto 2-2.2 K if banjara / HTH is really good.

So the itinerary looks somewhat like
Day 1 - Leave 26 night and reach Tirthan by noon. Hotel hunt and then check in. Laze around all day.
Day 2 - Waterfall trek of 1 km + some fort trek of an hour.
Day 3 - Serloskar lake trek.
Day 4 - Head back. If want to stay more than perhaps visit himalayan national park and come back on 5th day.

Naman
Old 18th March 2009, 11:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Most probably you will get FRH, But you can always call up PWD office and book rest house at Jibhi or Shoja its 350/night
I suggest you look at private options only if none of the rest houses are available(remote chance that all will be full).
Driving time to Tirthan valley is around 10-12 hours from Noida, in the night it will be less due to low traffic.
BTW there is a fresh western disturbance(two of them predicted) on 19th and 23rd march. So you can even go to Kalpa and enjoy fresh snow at chitkul. Kalpa chitkul is 2 day drive.
Ditto for Jalori pass. You can enjoy fresh snow there.
Old 19th March 2009, 20:59   #21
BHPian

Guys,

still hunting for where to stay.

Banjara is 4400/night and they are not at all ready for discounts ( atleast that is what they are saying on phone ).

Himalayan Trout House is quoting 2600/night and again not ready for discounts. Infact they don't even have room on friday ( 27 mar ) night.

I thought this was still the period before season starts. Still to contact FRH.

Please let me know how much discount can be availed during this time of the year.

@phamilyman, can you give me the contact of Nature retreat that you mentioned.

Thanks,
Naman
Old 19th March 2009, 21:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you stay at PWD or FRH?
Go to himachal ecotourism website for details
Old 19th March 2009, 21:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Guys,

still hunting for where to stay.
Naman, I don't know if this kind of place is your cup of tea; it is very much the kind of place we love!
Shringi Vatika. You'll get it for Rs 500/- or so, maybe less!
Do read my account of our visit last July.
Jalori Pass beckons .... monsoon trip. - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com

Last edited by anupmathur : 19th March 2009 at 21:27.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:31   #24

Hi Naman,

Tirthan is surely a great place to spend some time in Nature's lap. Below are the answer to your queries:

1. Place is great and so is the food. You can stay in private cottages which are really awesome. Food is great as the cook makes some awesome dishes that include Italian as well.

2. You can do trekking & fishing(this is what this place is famous for)

3. Discounts: At this time the chances for discounts are bleak. We paid 2200 AI in August but it was on MAP & the food was delicious.

Considering you are going with your GF, I would highly recommend this place to you for the peaceful surroundings & you can really enjoy being close to Nature and those long walks.

All the Best,
Cheers,
DJ
Old 20th March 2009, 15:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

[Photo Feature]: 1800 KM around Rajasthan - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

btw fwiw
Old 20th March 2009, 16:03   #26
v&v
Senior - BHPian

naman,
try to include kumbalgarh in your trip. you can have a jungle safari too.
Old 21st March 2009, 19:44   #27
BHPian

@phamilyman, This thread is to plan for Tirthan not Rajasthan.

@devil, thanks for the info on HTH.

So here's the update. On 27th HTH is full. So HTH guy will arrange accomodation in Trout Valley Rest House ( @ 2K ) and on 28 and 29 he is offering 2.6 K / night in mud cottages all inclusive.

Haven't confirmed anything yet to HTH. Meanwhile got a fantastic deal at Riverside Reort ( 1300/night ) all inclusive. Check out : River Side - Resort & Adventures

SO the idea is that we try Riverside and FRH. If it suits well and good, otherwise we go to HTH.

BTW, does anybody has any idea on Riverside Resort. And any updates on the roads after Aut ??

Naman
Old 21st March 2009, 20:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hey Guys,

We (my gf and me) are planning a 5 day trip in end March (27th to 31st). This time I'm really confused as to where to go. Never such confusion occurred before.

I've thought over few options.

1. Delhi - Jaisalmer ( 2 nights ) - Jodhpur ( 2 nights ) - Delhi

2. Delhi - halt enroute for 1 night - Auli ( 2 nights ) - rishikesh ( 1 night ) - Delhi

3. Delhi - D'sala/ McLeodganj - Palampur - Delhi

4. Delhi - Narkanda - Kinnaur - Delhi ( include sarahar and off shoots of NH22 ). Since mine is not a SUV will go till there are decent motorable roads.

I'm really keen on option 1 and 4. However, it seems in rajasthan it would be very hot by then and in kinnaur i don't know upto where the roads are open after the snow. I guess by now there will be no snow in Auli and hence doesn't make too much sense. Option 3 seems an overkill for 5 days.

Please suggest what do people think best option during this time frame.

Waiting for replies.

Naman
trip to Auli needs more than 5 days and relax time table. auli is best in oct-nov.

the best trip you can have is to Dharamshala in the time frame you have. good territory for your car.
Old 21st March 2009, 21:31   #29

Naman,

I dont know about the Riverside or FRH but I can suggest you one more awesome option to stay in Gushaini, aka Raju's Cottage. He provides a home stay option which is stated as one of the best in the world as per Outlook Traveler and it normally remains booked around the year.

His charges are Rs 1000/1200 per pax/day for veg & non veg respectively. We had this option to stay(luckily in August) in Raju's Cottage but my wife didnt had the courage to cross the Tirthan river on a small rope way during monsoon's.(that's how you reach the cottage).
But I can assure that you will love it, the moment you see the cottage.

Here's Raju's mobile # +919418149808, Call & check for availability, you might get lucky.

All the Best,
DJ

PS: Check this link for more information.
Zice Holidays :
Old 25th March 2009, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Hey Guys,

So all's set, leaving tomorrow late night for the Tirthan Valley .

Any update on the weather ?? How cold and possibility of snowfall / rainfall.

Also, considering that it'll be wet, does landslides come into picture. What precautions to take for it.

Thanks a lot for helping me out with the trip planning. Looking forward to it.

Naman

Most Viewed