Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 11:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
if you go to the remotest parts of himalayas where roads are nonexistent, you will see that everybody owns either an 800 or an Alto.

Used to live in Nainital around 1990-94.

At that time, 800 and Premier Padmini were considered too weak to be used on Hill roads.

Ambessador / Jeeps were used as most of the Taxis and Private cars..

Have things changed with MPFI?
Old 17th March 2009, 11:50   #17
BHPian

It gives me a lot of comfort knowing that I have been underestimating Alto. But I am now looking forward to an interesting journey. It is still about 2 months away but the wheels have started spinning. I would have done with my second servicing by that time.

I have also heard from friends that I should maintain slightly lower tyre pressure while driving on hill roads. The manufacturer advises 30 and for hill roads, my friend suggest 28. Is there any merit in this? What are the pros and cons for this?
Old 17th March 2009, 11:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
...800 and Premier Padmini were considered too weak to be used on Hill roads.
Ambessador / Jeeps were used as most of the Taxis and Private cars..
Have things changed with MPFI?
AFAIK, the Premier was never liked by people in the hills, but Ambys and M&Ms were the staple transport. When Maruti came along, all the 3 offerings - 800, Omni and Gypsy - were lapped up by hill folks. The free revving engines, the smooth gear changes and better fuel economy (compared to the Amby) really made hill driving a pleasure. Even today, the Omni rules as a people-mover on roads where Savaris and Safaris don't dare to go. So spare parts sourcing is never a problem for the adventurous like travelwriter, and the Alto LXi and Omni share the same engine too.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th March 2009 at 11:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks