Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 12:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

You have given the answers yourself Anurag. These books are helpful only to introduce people to the mountains where they have no clue about the destinations or where to go. But beyond that there isn't much for self driven people - like road conditions, petrol bunks, tyre repair facilities, road side eating joints, level of difficulty of a particular circuit/road.
The information available is very generalish and would appeal only to backseat drivers. Yes, its for tourists and not for driver-tourists. I have no problem with that but then why give such a misleading title for the book?
HVK is eminently qualified to write such a book. Also, the kind of material we have available in team-bhp is not ignorable either.
I don't know of any forum in the country where you find Indians who know about such obscure and non-touristy places as Gaylegphug and Sarbang - to give just an example.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Kaushik, thanks for this info. Yes, I was planning to take NH52 to Itanagar, but now looks like I will have to opt for NH37 till Tezpur, which I heard is in a good condition now. But I daresay they must have repaired the roads after the floods - example is of Nh37 to Goalpara, which was badly damaged last year, but is now reported to be excellent.
Yup, till Tezpur you can use the NH 37 instead of taking the north bank road. NH 37 is also going though the change of four laning work but still it was drivable. For Itanagar you anyway will have to take NH 52. But worried about the lag after that. Specially the Dhemaji area is one of the worst hit areas due to flood and the road condition on that section will be bad. But as last year's flood was not that devastating, we still have the hope that the roads are not in very bad shape.
I'll also be there at the same time. Do call me if you need any assistance. I also have a plan to drive towards Arunachal but nothing is confirmed yet.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Kaushik.

I am hoping to go off NH52 before Itanagar and take AN roads to Ziro (without touching Dhemaji), Daporijo to Along.

Any idea of that road's condition and navigability?

My biggest info gap is about the road to Tuting - does the motorable road go all the way to Tuting? And is it possible to reach Pasighat directly from Tuting without coming to Meshing and Along?
Old 20th March 2009, 16:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

hi HVK,
Sorry but I don't have much idea about Arunachal roads. But I'll try to get some information from my contacts. I remember from one of my classmate who was from Tezu telling me that if they have to go to Itanagar they use NH37 till Tezpur and NH52 from then onwards. But that was long time ago(10 years around).
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 20th March 2009, 17:12   #35
BHPian

Just my $0.02 about the route and other information. We went to Thimpu from Kolkata in October '08 and totally gave up on the idea of driving ahead after reaching Siliguri. And I can't be gladder about the decision.

The NH31 from Siliguri onwards was in shambles and definitely not recommended for bikers. HVK, your Scorpio should be better off. That was just after the monsoons, so the road might have been repaired. Keep your fingers crossed or get updated information.

Anurag is right about the widening work on the Phuntsholing-Thimpu road. This road was closed for public use on Monday and Tuesday. It was our bad timing that we reached Phuntsholing on Sunday evening!
The road is pretty bad in patches and be prepared for some really long traffic jams.
North East+ Bhutan-n504768275_836053_3906.jpg

I have no idea about the permit you would need to take your vehicles inside but an entry permit for an individual takes a few hours.

It's all worth it when you are finally there, sipping on some hot tea (or some local liquor), enjoying the timelesness of the place, steaming momos. I just love the place and can't wait to get back.

You can see some of the pics from my trip here:
Gautam Prakash's Photos - Bhutan - Land of the Thunder Dragon | Facebook

Cheers!
Old 20th March 2009, 19:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Umm, by that logic, Gautam, most bikers shouldn't ride to ladakh, eh?
Old 20th March 2009, 20:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

An Update

Quote:
Thanks, Kaushik.

I am hoping to go off NH52 before Itanagar and take AN roads to Ziro (without touching Dhemaji), Daporijo to Along.

Any idea of that road's condition and navigability?

My biggest info gap is about the road to Tuting - does the motorable road go all the way to Tuting? And is it possible to reach Pasighat directly from Tuting without coming to Meshing and Along?
Update on the route, just talked with a friend in Arunachal and here's the update,
Itanagar-Ziro-Daporijo-Damporijo-Along. The road currently seems to be in ok condition but as it's a hilly road there may be some bad sections due to rain that time.
Along to Tuting is also in drivable condition as of now. But to go to Pashighat you'll need to come back to Along and then go to Pasighat.
Tezu to Kibitho road is in very good condition as of now with a few small bad sections. He had recently(Feb) done this route and it seems to be in good condition.

Regards,
Kaushik
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Umm, by that logic, Gautam, most bikers shouldn't ride to ladakh, eh?
LOL! I am really sorry for treading into biker territory! I seriously have no clue about riding under such circumstances! I take back my $0.01! The rest can stay!
Old 25th September 2013, 20:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: North East+ Bhutan

The travel bug has bitten again and with the Puja Holidays coming up the plans are being drawn up. The current suggestions/options are:

1. Bhutan; entering through Psholing and exiting through Samdrup Jongkhar. This is the first option and the family favorite.
2. Aizwal, the alternate option.

The present plan is to start the drive from Jorhat on a sunday afternoon and reach upto Guwahati. If Karbi Anglong is open then drive to Psholing on Monday. Apply for permits on Tuesday and then drive onto Paro the same afternoon, if possible or else the next day. Two days at Paro and then onto Thimpu for 2 days. Then drive onto east and exit through Samdrup Jongkhar and once again if Karbi Anglong is open drive to Tejpur and back to Jorhat.

If Karbi plays spoil sport then we plan to drive to Shillong from Guwahati, sohra, see more of megahalaya and thend rive to Haflong, Aizwal. See what ever is possible in Mizoram and then return via Silchar> Nagaon>Jorhat or be more adventurous and return via Silchar>Dimapur>Golaghat>Jorhat.

Guys, your suggestions and advise please. Anyone who has travelled on the Aizwal axis please advise. Driven to Bhutan before as well but Aizwal is completely new territory. So please help.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post

If Karbi plays spoil sport then we plan to drive to Shillong from Guwahati, sohra, see more of megahalaya and thend rive to Haflong, Aizwal. See what ever is possible in Mizoram and then return via Silchar> Nagaon>Jorhat or be more adventurous and return via Silchar>Dimapur>Golaghat>Jorhat.

Guys, your suggestions and advise please. Anyone who has travelled on the Aizwal axis please advise. Driven to Bhutan before as well but Aizwal is completely new territory. So please help.
Road is a mess south of Nagaon towards Silchar. Avoid driving by night.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2013 at 17:56. Reason: Quote fixed.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 10:52   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Road is a mess south of Nagaon towards Silchar. Avoid driving by night.
Sir, I am curious but is there any region in India where you have not travelled?

Also would like to ask sir, that it may be a situation that I have to be in Guwahati in the last week of December (not by my vehicle). Which places I can tread around which can be safe, since I will be with my wife. I am averse to bus travel, hence please advice where either I can hire a car or travel by train. I am open to travel 400-450 kms around Guwahati.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 26th September 2013, 13:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sir, I am curious but is there any region in India where you have not travelled?

Also would like to ask sir, that it may be a situation that I have to be in Guwahati in the last week of December (not by my vehicle). Which places I can tread around which can be safe, since I will be with my wife. I am averse to bus travel, hence please advice where either I can hire a car or travel by train. I am open to travel 400-450 kms around Guwahati.

Thanks,
Saket
Places to see:
1. Guwahati: Kamakhya Devi Temple, Evening Cruise on Brahmaputra, Bhootnath Temple, There is another temple on an island in Brahmaputra.

2. Around Guwahati: Visit kaziranga about 250 Kms., Visit Shillong, Mausmai Caves near Shillong towards Sohra.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Places to see:
1. Guwahati: Kamakhya Devi Temple, Evening Cruise on Brahmaputra, Bhootnath Temple, There is another temple on an island in Brahmaputra.

2. Around Guwahati: Visit kaziranga about 250 Kms., Visit Shillong, Mausmai Caves near Shillong towards Sohra.
Thanks Wanderernomad. How far is Shillong from Guwahati and what is the transport available?
Old 26th September 2013, 14:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

[quote=saket77;3248548]Sir, I am curious but is there any region in India where you have not travelled?[quote]

Quote:

Thanks,
Saket
As has been suggested, the best places are:

Shillong & Cherapunjee, (100 kms to Shillong)
Kaziranga (200 kms to Kohora/Kaziranga)
Nameri WLS (225 kms, near Bhalukhpong)
Pobitra WLS (50 kms, also has Rhinos)

There are no safety issues travelling in Assam.
Roads are excellent to the places which I have mentioned.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nameri is closed as of now due to severe flooding this time and they are asking for special permissions from Chief Wildlife Warden to enter the reserve. I would skip it for this time.

Regular Taxis operate to Shillong from Guwahati. The travel to Shillong is easily arranged so nothing much to fret about. However, keep an eye on the news as certain groups are clamoring for ILP to be made compulsory for Maghalaya.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks