Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 17:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: North East+ Bhutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi folks wanted to check on road conditions in lower Assam mainly around Goalpara. Will be doing a trip from Guwahati to Goalpara on 24th Oct, since after the recent floods the usual NH37 was viand broken. How are the roads via Bijni & Abhayapuri?
The road from Guwahati to Goalpara is in good condition. You are traveling only till Goalpara or beyond?
Old 7th October 2014, 23:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Roads are open, no serious damage to roads. Stick to the Guwahati-Ghauripur- Goalpara-Ccoch Behar-Siliguri route
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The road from Guwahati to Goalpara is in good condition. You are traveling only till Goalpara or beyond?
I am travelling only till Goalpara as its my fathers hometown and since we are visiting after 3 years it becomes a mandate to pay a visit. I have got hold of an Indica in Guwahati so thought of driving rather than taking the train.
Old 12th October 2014, 15:39   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

We are planning for a Bangalore-North East trip. I would like to know the below information,

- How many days does it require(minimum)?
- Important places that I shouldn't be missing?
- Road conditions?
- Which time of the year would be best?
- Is it a good route to take kids of age 7 and 2 respectively?
Old 13th October 2014, 11:28   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
We are planning for a Bangalore-North East trip. I would like to know the below information,

- Road conditions?
1. From Bangalore it will take 2 days of 1000+ kms drive to reach Kolkata.
2. "North-East" is a pretty big area. So it depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. Each of the "seven-sisters" states have beautiful places to offer tourists. It would be better that the members from the North-East give you suggestions than me
3. Follow AH45 and you will have no problems. Alternatively AH43(till Hyderabad)-NH9-AH45 is also good. After Kolkata till Siliguri, you can take the route that is mentioned in my travelogue. From there road conditions depend on where you want to go. For current conditions refer to posts from NE members on this forum.
4. Dasara festivities in Kolkata is good to see. So October is a good time IMO but keep an eye for cyclones(Last time it was Pahilin and this time it was HudHud) experts on this thread will be able to tell you more
5. I don't think it is a problem with kids unless they can travel with you for long hours (Bangalore Kolkata itself is 2 days of 1000+ kilometres)

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 13th October 2014 at 11:31.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Road conditions?
What are your interest area in NE. That will define the areas you can visit and the time required. Basic infrastructure is quite poor and therefore, need careful time planning and managing other issues.
Old 16th October 2014, 11:36   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
"North-East" is a pretty big area. So it depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. Each of the "seven-sisters" states have beautiful places to offer tourists. It would be better that the members from the North-East give you suggestions than me
Quote:
What are your interest area in NE. That will define the areas you can visit and the time required. Basic infrastructure is quite poor and therefore, need careful time planning and managing other issues.
Thanks Hemanth and wanderernomad for the response.
The plan is not for October. May be December last week/January first week or during summer vacation. And[COLOR=#1f497d],[/COLOR] I think my initial query was bit vague. Our plan is for Darjeeling and places around it, may be a stay of 3/4days.

Regarding kids, one alternate plan that we have is for my wife to travel with kids by flight till Kolkata.
Old 16th October 2014, 11:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hemanth and wanderernomad for the response.
Our plan is for Darjeeling and places around it, may be a stay of 3/4days.
That Dear Sir is not the real North East. Haha. Anyway it would be terribly cold in December in those parts so do come prepared. Near about places are Mirik, Kalimpong and Gangtok that you can explore.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:33   #83
BHPian

Hi,

I have read the route options and thanks to all for sharing the same, also mentioned is the time of the year will offer what in terms of this trip.

We are 3 car options, would like to know which will be the best and whether all can go, we are doing it from Mumbai..

- BMW 320 d for a smoother faster and comfortable drive
-XUV 500 as it is suv in nature so luggage and if any unforeseen terrain will not be of any worry.
- Polo GT TSI small pocket rocket to make the drive fun and exciting with a small hatch back.

I know they all are different in nature and all 3 are available to us as a option, just want to know from people who have done this sector and their recommendation on the car we should pick for this trip.

thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers
Old 16th October 2014, 13:59   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That Dear Sir is not the real North East. Haha. Anyway it would be terribly cold in December in those parts so do come prepared. Near about places are Mirik, Kalimpong and Gangtok that you can explore.
Yes, its not exactly NE. But our initial plan was till Arunachal Pradesh but we felt its too much of distance considering my younger one. Hence we narrowed down to Darjiling.

- So, how about the road conditions from Kolkata to Darjiling?
- Can this be done in one day?
- I will be driving a Linea, post 2012 model with higer GC.
- What will be temperature range during december and during April/May?
Old 16th October 2014, 20:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its not exactly NE. But our initial plan was till Arunachal Pradesh but we felt its too much of distance considering my younger one. Hence we narrowed down to Darjiling.

- So, how about the road conditions from Kolkata to Darjiling?
- Can this be done in one day?
- I will be driving a Linea, post 2012 model with higer GC.
- What will be temperature range during december and during April/May?
No it cannot be done in one day without unduely stressing your self and the travellers. Temperature will range from about 7/8 to 20 during December and will be a more comfortable 15-25 during April/May.

@ Saint: where are you headed?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 16th October 2014 at 20:21.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
No it cannot be done in one day without unduely stressing your self and the travellers. Temperature will range from about 7/8 to 20 during December and will be a more comfortable 15-25 during April/May.

@ Saint: where are you headed?
Mumbai to Bhutan, and will explore Bhutan completely as in nearabouts.
Old 18th October 2014, 09:05   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
- BMW 320 d for a smoother faster and comfortable drive
-XUV 500 as it is suv in nature so luggage and if any unforeseen terrain will not be of any worry.
- Polo GT TSI small pocket rocket to make the drive fun and exciting with a small hatch back.
Get the XUV, no questions asked.

While the BMW will be fun to drive on few stretches, on others, it will be a torture for you and the machine.

Polo TSI would be fun, but while traveling, you are never really sure about the quality of fuel you get + space constraint in a hatch.

If the number of people traveling are 2, including driver, you can think about the hatch/sedan, but still, the XUV makes the most sense.

Availability of service, higher ground clearance, a SUV, space, good power to cruise on highways, I would recommend this over other mentioned choices. If it is an AWD model, the better.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 14:32   #88
BANNED

Shillong-bhutan-gangtok Trip

Hi all I am planning a trip to above destinations in 3rd-4th week of May.
I hope to reach Guwahati by 17th evening, rest(is it possible for an evening cruise if I reach by 7 pm?).
Day 2 Darsgan of Kamakhya devi then leave for Shillong by 3 pm - reach Shillong rest.
Day 3, Day 4, Day 5 - Shillong + Cherapunji( help in itenary needed).
Day 6 leave for Guwahati- train to NJP-Bhutan.
Day 7 -Day 10 Bhutan (Itenary needed)
Day 11 Bhutan-NJP
Day 12 ,Day 13 Gangtok (Itenary needed)
Day 14 Gangtok to NJP (train from NJP at 12 noon - is it possible to reach NJP by 12 if I leave Gangtok early morning?
Old 5th April 2016, 14:17   #89
BANNED

No replies thats why i created a new thread as ppl dont respond in a 5 yr old post
Old 26th July 2018, 14:45   #90
BHPian

BMW X Drives - Bhutan road trip

Hi,

I have been a fan of road trips and team-bhp for quiet some time and then stopped writing. Am reviving that now.

Has any one did BMW X Drives as organised by BMW? They are organizing a road trip from Siliguri to Thimpu. They are transporting my X3 to Siliguri from where I take it to Thimpu. This is what the itinerary looks like

Day 1 Siliguri - arrival
Day 2 Siliguri - Phuentsholing
Day 3 Phuentsholing - Thimpu
Day 4 Thimpu - Punaka
Day 5 Thimpu to Paro
Day 6 Paro - Tiger's nest monastry trek
Day 7 Paro to Siliguri

I have 5 more days to roam around in that part of the country. Am all ears to hear the experiences if any one tried it and what else I can do in that part in terms of road trips and places to visit. This is my first time to NE part and am super excited.

It starts on August 2nd. I will be updating as I start.

Nainar

Most Viewed