Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Dont take the canal road in the evening. You must exit the road by 6 PM.
Further this road runs along with the canal and is very narrow and canal is quite deep. So drive carefully at slow speed.

After you exit the canal road at Khatauli, cross the bridge towards Muzaffarnagar and go 200 yards. On the right hand side you will see Cheetal Grand, which is a good place for Breakfast or Lunch etc.

On the entire route, road manners are unheard of and people have a nasty temper, so dont get into any argument with anybody, even if they are wrong.
I have also done Delhi to Dehradun using this route during daytime - any particular reason why it should be avoided before 6 am & post 6 pm ?
Old 14th May 2009, 13:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
BUMP: I was planning on a haridwar trip, someone told me that the road conditions are real bad these days and it takes around 10 - 11 hrs to reach.

Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, roads are good to worst on the strech, drive at 60-80 km/hr while in between you can hit 90 -110 km/hr, but average speed will fall back to 35-40 km/hr. Four laning has also been done at various streches before Khatauli, be careful about oncoming vehicles in wrong lanes.

Road conditions can be still managed with some careful driving but the traffic jams are pain on this strech.

We went to Haridwar - Rishikesh on 9 - 10 May. It took 7 hours to reach Haridwar, thanks to a huge traffic jam before Purka ji due to a political party's rally.

And while coming back, we started around 3:30 pm from Rishikesh. We were cruising till Mujaffarnagar bye-pass but a 5 km long traffic jam near railawy crossing made it worse. On this two lane road, people do not have patience & try to overtake vehicles standing in the line. Even UPSRTC buses are not behind, not even an inch is left for oncoming vehicles.

After about 30 mins in standstill traffic, we decied to take a detour (and a lot of other cars headed for Delhi followed me). Managed U-turn with great difficulty, got out of the car to create space & shoo away oncoming vehicles and asked my wife to drive. After about 40 min of this struggle, we managed a clear road in front. Drove for about 4-5 km, turned right to Bijnor road, again turned right from a place called Jansath, traveeled 14 km on an under construction road to reach khatauli. Two hours & lot of energy wasted in entire drama. Finally reached Noida around 10:40 pm.

Last edited by breezydrive : 14th May 2009 at 13:59.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi-Mussoorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8
Me and Some friends are planning a Trip to Mussoorie during the next weekend, and I need some route info. Was searching through TBHP and found some valuable information but would like to know further.

We Plan to start early, but the problem is We plan to take some cars which have Low Profile Tires, SO i wanted to know

Is it feasible to take these Cars, How are the road conditions??Which route will provide the best driving roads, We dont mind travelling or covering a larger distance.

Kindly tell me the best route possible so that we can freeze our plans further.
Getting to Mussoorie has 2 options -
(1) NH58 (and you can bypass Meerut), then turn left at Roorkee, go up to the Saharanpur-Dehradun Road, and turn right at Chhutmalpur;
(2) Take the NH1 (Chandigarh Road) to the Kurukshetra crossing, turn right, and go via Jagadhri, Paonta Sahib, Vikasnagar and then to Dehradun and Mussoorie.

(2) is the smoother and faster road, though you cover 50 km greater distance - a 20 km patch after Jagadhri is not too great, but manageable.

Low profile tyres should not be an issue, but low ground clearance may be. You'll need to be extra careful to prevent undercarriage damage.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th May 2009 at 10:41. Reason: Title added
Old 18th May 2009, 14:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

I did Noida -Dehradun last week. I started from Noida at 8.00 a.m. and managed to reach Ddun by 2.00 p.m. I took NH 24 and NH 58 and stopped at Cheetal Grand for about 15 mins. On the way Back I did the same distance in 5 hours as there was no traffic on the road on account of elections.

The Ganga Canal road does reduce the travel time due to low traffic. However, it is unsafe during evening hours. Morever, a lot of construction work is being carried out on the road making it a cumbersome drive.

I did Noida - Dehradun in 4 and a half hours in end febraury using this route.

If you leave Delhi early and cross ghaziabad by 6.00 am, you should be in Haridwar by 9.00 unless you stop enroute.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:00   #20
BHPian

I too did Noida-Haridwar but sometime last month. Started at 6:30 in the morning but loads of traffic and bad roads made me reach the destination at around 1:00 including a 45 minutes stop at cheetal grand.

Stayed overnight at my sisters place and started at around 5:30 in the evening next day. The back journey is nothing to write about. Pathetic two lane roads coupled with no street light highways are horrendous to drive. Though the road becomes better after cheetal grand. All in all avoid driving back late nights as truckers on a two lane road with not street lights is quite tiring.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Bump!
Is it a good time to visit Haridwar ? I am thinking of taking the NH-58 route. Is the road still under construction?
Old 1st October 2010, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bump Again: Planning on a Haridwar trip in a day or two. Can someone enlighten on the current condition of the roads? SS-Traveller, where are you ?
Old 9th January 2016, 19:41   #23
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Hardwar route info (& other details)

Waking up and old thread. I am in Delhi now and will be driving to Haridwar on Monday. Call me dumb, I had absolutely no idea that Kumbh is also due next week. I will be visiting patanjali hospital and then time permitting, try to cover as much temples as possible. How will be the crowd there? I have a kid with me and I am bit nervous after getting to know about the Kumbh. I have already booked hotels by cleartrip. Hope they will honour unlike what Oyo does during peak times.
Old 28th April 2016, 06:18   #24
BHPian

Hi Folks.
No updates about this route since 2010. If anyone has recently taken a trip to Haridwar and Rishikesh, would be great to know the road and traffic conditions. Visiting Noida next week. My mom-in-law and mom, both have been pestering me for this trip. Hoping to make it a 2 day trip in a 2014 nissan micra active.
Old 10th May 2016, 20:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Hi Folks.
No updates about this route since 2010. If anyone has recently taken a trip to Haridwar and Rishikesh, would be great to know the road and traffic conditions. Visiting Noida next week. My mom-in-law and mom, both have been pestering me for this trip. Hoping to make it a 2 day trip in a 2014 nissan micra active.
So

Did you finally do the trip? How was the route? How much of the four - laning, which I reckon has been underway since the last 10 years if not more has been completed.

Why I am asking is because I'm planning to take this route to Dehradun, it being marginally shorter. Though I've been taking the Delhi - Karnal - Yamunanagr - Paonta route to avoid the crazy one laned national highway (due to dug up roads - four laning in progress since last so many years !) traffic, multiple diversions and unruly and unconcerned local traffic on this route but was curious whether it has improved at all?

Has it?

Some inputs would be welcome !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 10th May 2016 at 20:06.
Old 10th May 2016, 22:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
So

Did you finally do the trip? How was the route? How much of the four - laning, which I reckon has been underway since the last 10 years if not more has been completed.

Why I am asking is because I'm planning to take this route to Dehradun, it being marginally shorter. Though I've been taking the Delhi - Karnal - Yamunanagr - Paonta route to avoid the crazy one laned national highway (due to dug up roads - four laning in progress since last so many years !) traffic, multiple diversions and unruly and unconcerned local traffic on this route but was curious whether it has improved at all?

Has it?

Some inputs would be welcome !

Cheers !
Just came back from the trip today evening. The trip was on weekdays so not much tourist traffic. 4 laning is still not complete and I did not see any work being done on pending sections. The continuous 4 lane ends before Muzzaffar Nagar. Multiple Diversions continue to exist. And well traffic has always been unruly in UP/NCR. This was my first time on this route. Pretty drivable if you are not in a hurry else it might get under your skin.
jaunthead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 08:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Just came back from the trip today evening. The trip was on weekdays so not much tourist traffic. 4 laning is still not complete and I did not see any work being done on pending sections. The continuous 4 lane ends before Muzzaffar Nagar. Multiple Diversions continue to exist. And well traffic has always been unruly in UP/NCR. This was my first time on this route. Pretty drivable if you are not in a hurry else it might get under your skin.
Thanks a lot jaunthead!

I had a feeling that things wouldn't have improved much. I've been seeing this so called four-laning go on for the last 7-8 years if not longer. There's not been any progress and it's actually risky to drive in some sections at night because of the unpaved single lane , crazy oncoming traffic and unmarked diversions that pop out of nowhere !

At least the Delhi - Karnal - Yamunanagr - Paonta Sahib route , even if longer, is well paved, free of diversions and has smoothly flowing traffic (except maybe a 10 minute jam in Yamunanagar because you've to go through the city). I guess I'll continue on that, given that it's more scenic too ( you pass through Kalesar National Park and later along the Yamuna River, and there's the picturesque Gurudwara on the banks of Yamuna in Paonta Sahib if you want a peaceful break).

All the same, thanks for the heads up - muchas gracias !

Cheers !
Old 28th April 2017, 12:51   #28
BHPian

Hi,
I am writing in old thread as I found it appropriate.

I am travelling from Jaipur to Haridwar in a day and route would be Jaipur-Delhi-Modinagar-Meerut-Haridwar.

The question is where should I enter Delhi and from where should I exit? Which route should be appropriate to bypass Delhi Traffic?

I would be starting from Jaipur around 5 am.
shriram81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 13:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriram81 View Post
I am travelling from Jaipur to Haridwar in a day and route would be Jaipur-Delhi-Modinagar-Meerut-Haridwar.

The question is where should I enter Delhi and from where should I exit? Which route should be appropriate to bypass Delhi Traffic?

I would be starting from Jaipur around 5 am.
Use this route to bypass Delhi: https://goo.gl/maps/VvzyWRqK9S32
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 09:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriram81 View Post

Dear shriram81,

I keep driving between Gurgaon and Haridwar(my hometown), so let me share with you that there is no easy way to bypass Delhi. Starting at 5am from Jaipur is a good decision, so should reach Gurgaon by 9 am (peak hour traffic). Then your route should be like this:

- Reach Gurgaon
- Continue on NH8
- Dhaula Kuan
- Take the loop towards ring road Moti Bagh
- Continue via AIIMS, NDSE, Lajpat Nagar, Ashram and then stay on ring road(keep left) to reach Sarai Kale Khan
- Turn right on NH24 (Nizamuddin Bridge)
- Cross Yamuna and head till Delhi-UP border comes (just as you will drive down the flyover at Ghazipur poultry)
- Turn left(you are in UP) and continue till Mohan Nagar
- Turn right (Metro construction is underway, so you actually need to take a compulsory left and then make a U
- After driving for about 5km, turn left towards Meerut and continue for about 140km till you enter Uttarakhand (district Haridwar).

There are however, some other ways too with in Delhi(and may be a bit better with traffic), but I do not want to confuse you so have advised you the easiest way. Anyways, traffic is everywhere!

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Cheers,
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 29th April 2017 at 09:51.
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks