Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 20:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Been there done that!!! started on 17th May back on the 3rd June.
Great pics. Await your travelogue.

One query - can one do Ladakh/the highlands in the Himalayas with a 'normal' car, i.e., such as an Indica/City/Civic. I am concerned about possible risks in driving a car with low ground clearance and without 4WD/AWD.

Regards
Old 10th June 2010, 21:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Great pics. Await your travelogue.

One query - can one do Ladakh/the highlands in the Himalayas with a 'normal' car, i.e., such as an Indica/City/Civic. I am concerned about possible risks in driving a car with low ground clearance and without 4WD/AWD.

Regards
You can easily do these places with a 2wd car.
Indica - Yes
City - May be but you'll scrape the bottom a few places
Civic - Definitely not as you'll scrape the bottom everywhere
Old 10th June 2010, 21:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You can easily do these places with a 2wd car.
Indica - Yes
City - May be but you'll scrape the bottom a few places
Civic - Definitely not as you'll scrape the bottom everywhere
How about a Jetta then?
On my runs in the Jetta, I am extra careful over our 'Himalayan' bumps.
Plan to do Uttarakhand ( Corbett, Ranikhet, Landsdowne, Pithoragarh) in the coming months/years.

Last edited by issigonis : 10th June 2010 at 21:57.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
How about a Jetta then?
On my runs in the Jetta, I am extra careful over our 'Himalayan' bumps.
Plan to do Uttarakhand ( Corbett, Ranikhet, Landsdowne, Pithoragarh) in the coming months/years.
Jetta - NEVER!

Cannot emphasise it enough.

P.S: No exotics in the remote regions. I have suffered and a recent incident with an Scorpio AT has reinforced my faith in taking vehicles that are simple and everyone can repair
Old 10th June 2010, 23:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Jetta - NEVER!

Cannot emphasise it enough.

P.S: No exotics in the remote regions. I have suffered and a recent incident with an Scorpio AT has reinforced my faith in taking vehicles that are simple and everyone can repair
Entirely agree with MileCruncher. Take only those vehicles which have good service network in Leh. The chances of your car requiring some help and repair en route are high, whether it is a sedan or a SUV.

Honda Civic has such a long wheelbase that it will struggle to navigate some sections, because it will hit the bottom, and not because whether it is 2WD or 4WD.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:00   #36
BHPian

New Routes opened!

Hi Kumar,
Just read up on the new routes being opened up in the Ladakh region. Thanks for the link. A little late in the day to try out these routes, methinks. Probably will do it the next time around. The route would have been developed more by then I presume.
All car related work is nearly done. Will be driving down to Pune and back on Sunday to get a feel of the vehicle, after the overhaul. Thanks for your tips.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Gautam, I agree. The Agham-Shayok route is too undeveloped and tough, but you could perhaps try out the Turtuk route in Nubra Valley. Maybe you can also take an extended permit to Merak and drive along the Pangong Lake in case the road is motorable.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:26   #38
BHPian

Jerry Cans.

A big thanks to rkbharat for sharing info on the supplier of Jerry Cans. I ordered them from the same supplier. They were delivered today. A few photographs of the Jerry Cans.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai to Ladakh and back-p6140005.jpg  

Mumbai to Ladakh and back-p6140006.jpg  

Mumbai to Ladakh and back-p6140007.jpg  

Mumbai to Ladakh and back-p6140009.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 19:15   #39
BHPian

Urgent Advice Needed!

Hi,

As you are aware, I am leaving on the 4th. of July for Ladakh. My route plan/itinerary is in posts above.
Reading about the turmoil happening in Kashmir, was wondering if I should change plans, or stick to it. Am sort of geared up for driving down through J & K and have planned accordingly. But the current situation is making me think twice. Guys/ Gurus who have done these routes and have been to these parts - What would you advice?
If I go via Manali, I will have to drive all the way to Kargil to visit, Padum, etc. It is much easier, going via Srinagar to Kargil, finishing of the Padum part of the Journey, heading back to Leh and then proceeding further and then to Manali.
An early response would be much appreciated.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:08   #40
BHPian

Hi Gautam,

I suggest you keep an eye on the daily news.

Violence spreads to south Kashmir, 3 killed in Anantnag - India - The Times of India

You see, this is quite a bad scene in Kashmir now. So once you reach Delhi or nearby, ask around. This being a political issue, no one can say how long will this last.

Also understand that this causes problem in bookings and your pre-determined etc. Today the whole Srinagar - Leh highway is blocked out and tourists are stranded. But as someone said, better to be safe than sorry. Tackling bad roads is one thing and dribbling political turmoil is another.

Souvik
Old 29th June 2010, 21:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi,

As you are aware, I am leaving on the 4th. of July for Ladakh. My route plan/itinerary is in posts above.
Reading about the turmoil happening in Kashmir, was wondering if I should change plans, or stick to it. Am sort of geared up for driving down through J & K and have planned accordingly. But the current situation is making me think twice. Guys/ Gurus who have done these routes and have been to these parts - What would you advice?
If I go via Manali, I will have to drive all the way to Kargil to visit, Padum, etc. It is much easier, going via Srinagar to Kargil, finishing of the Padum part of the Journey, heading back to Leh and then proceeding further and then to Manali.
An early response would be much appreciated.
I will say, keep the plan same, you will be crossing Srinagar around I guess 9th or 10th July, and by that time things should settle down.

Assess situation in Delhi, be prepared with Manali-Leh Plan.

Last Sept, we had to change the plan from Manali-Leh to srinagar-leh just a day before the trip, because of closure of Rohtang. And the moment we reached Jammu, we kept our radio on for local news for the situation. and then we heard a news of bomb blast near lal chowk, So we just continued to kargil. no stoppage at Srinagar or Sonmarg

Last edited by rkbharat : 29th June 2010 at 21:17.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:15   #42
BHPian

Hey Souvik,
Thanks for the info man. The only problem, is that I intend to hit Delhi around the evening of the 5th, and then pick up the fourth member of the team and then proceed to Panipat. In case the situation does not improve, I may have to stay in Delhi and then head to Manali. This is something that I would really not like to do!
But as you say, will keep a tab daily and take a final call when I reach Delhi.

Hey Rajiv,
Thanks man. Would really like to stick with the plan. Lets hope the situation improves! Keeping fingers crossed! As suggested will have the back up plan ready. BTW is there any route to reach Sonmarg, without passing through Srinagar or the trouble prone areas?

Last edited by BolBolero : 29th June 2010 at 21:19. Reason: adding info.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

You are still 10 days away from reaching Srinagar. Keep your options option, the Valley situation suddenly flares up and also dies down. This happens all the time. You may be unlucky to be caught in the middle of it, but more likely that you will have a smooth drive through. This year has seen record tourists in the Valley. There have been rasta rokos and some of our friends have driven through shutdowns, with tension but without any harm. My friend Dwaraka had to dodge stones in 2008 when he returned from Ladakh via Srinagar. Pramods had to halt an extra night in Sonmarg last year because of bandhs in Srinagar. But overall, I think this is part of normal life in the Valley for last many years and I would not change my schedule. But keep a watch.

You can take a call on changing over to the Manali route after reaching Pathankot. If things have not improved, you can always go via Manali from there without too much of detour.
Old 4th July 2010, 00:48   #44
BHPian

Hi guys,

Am off today morning at 4.00 am. from Bombay.

The final route:

Bombay-Chittaurgarh-Chandigarh-Manali-Jispa/Sarchu-Leh-Kargil-Drass-Kargil-Padum-Kargil-Leh-Deskit/Hundar-PangongTso-TsoMoriri-Sarchu-Manali-Behror-Ajmer-Udaipur-Bombay.

Will try starting a travelogue, if possible.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:54   #45
BHPian

All the best mate!
Hope you have a blast! . Will await a travelogue...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks