Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:43   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Ladakh and back

Hi guys,
Plan to take a road trip to Ladakh and back from Mumbai. I have a Bolero Sportz 2004, 2WD, done about 64,000 kms. Need advice on the following:-

1. What would be the best time to go. (Was planning in July)
2. Will the Bolero be able to handle the terrain/ roads/ rarefied air?
3. Any special changes required for the vehicle?
4. How many days will be required to have a satisfying trip?
5. Are permits required for all the places?
6. Where is detailed information/ guide to all the routes available?

Would appreciate if I could receive feedback and experiences from people who have already done this before. Have gone through many of the travelogues and am totally impressed what the guys/ gals have achieved.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

July is peak season - high traffic, tall hotel rates, crowds milling around. My preferred time is September after all the tourists are gone and the place is peaceful with great roads and good weather, with a threat of early snowfall in the air!

I have done the Ladakh drive in early Sep and also early Oct. This year, I am planning mid-Sep.

MPFI cars have no problem, since they have ECU controls which automatically calibrate for the rarefied air. SUVs run all along the route - Sumos, Scorpios, Qualises, Innovas and Mahindra pick-ups - and there are no problems.

Handling the terrain - I have done it twice in my Daewoo Matiz - and you have the Bolero - does that answer your Q?

No chnages required, keep it in good shape, advance your maintenance schedules, and just have a good ear for any problems en route.

Please see the log books from my previous 2 trips - 2-3 weeks is adequate. Please remembe rthat if you are going to do Bombay-Delhi in 3 days, you can add 1 more week!! What I mean is you have to express it through the transport sectiosn as fast as posisble till you reach Manali. Typically, nowadays, I do the Bombay-Delhi drive in 1 day and I am in Manali on Day 2. My earlier trips - in 2003 and 2004 - were on normal 2-lane roads and I used to take 8 hours more for Delhi.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh, Sep 2003

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh,Oct 2004

No permits, except for Pangong Lake, which you can get on the spot in DC's Office in Leh.

Search this forum, and also Welcome to BCMTouring.com, India's premier travel portal and community. My log books can also give you a good idea about the route, driving times, facilities, etc.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can read a travelogue on my 2003 Ladakh trip in this link:

Motoring to Ladakh
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:38   #4
BHPian

@hvkumar,
have gone through all your travelogues and that is what inspired me to take this decision in the first place. Am in the process of getting a couple of friends to join me for the trip. I will consider the September departure. Will keep you posted and hoping that this trip works out.
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Leh - BikeNomads can help. On BCM, you will search for nitinshm's posts (or PM him). They were a bunch of photographers who went all around Ladakh in a 2WD bolero and were totally thrilled.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:44   #6
BHPian

thanks phamilyman, very informative site. By the way what is BCM? I want to check out the info regarding the Bolero 2WD!
Old 31st March 2010, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Revived!

Hi Guys,
Had sort of gone into hibernation regarding the Ladakh trip, which was supposed to take place last year. Unfortunately due to various circumstances, couldn't undertake the journey.
In the mean time was avidly following and reading up on the travelogues posted by fellow Bhpians of their trips on Tbhp. Special thanks to HVK, MileCruncher, Locomotive, KSM-Vtec, ABK, Sha, Laluks, tsk1979, lordof gondor, suman and a whole host of others, for posting some brilliant travelogues. All of you have been a source of immense inspiration.

So I am finally heading to Ladakh this year in mid July. We are a four guys travelling in my Bolero. Am in the process of getting things ready in respect to the car. Am attaching a tentative itinerary for the journey. Any TBhpians interested in joining in the trip (with vehicle) are most welcome.

Gautam.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Ladakh Itinerary.xls (37.0 KB, 911 views)
Old 24th April 2010, 19:47   #8
BHPian

Trip Finalised!

Hi guys,

ALL IZZ WELL! Am finally going, dates are fixed, route is decided, information gathered from the Gurus, Co-travelers ready, What more could one ask for? Oh yeah July can arrive soon!

Four of us travelling by a Bolero Sportz 2004. Three from Mumbai, one joining in Delhi. Leaving Mumbai 4th. of July 2010. Expected return date 21st/22nd. of July 2010.

The route: Mumbai-Chittorgarh, Chittorgarh-Panipat, Panipat-Patnitop, Patnitop-Sonamarg, Sonamarg-Kargil, Kargil-Padum, Padum-Kargil, Kargil-Leh, Leh-Deskit/Hunder, Deskit/Hunder-PangongTso/Tangtse, PangongTso/Tangtse-TsoMoriri, TsoMoriri-Sarchu, Sarchu-Manali, Manali-New Delhi, New Delhi-Ajmer-Chittorgarh, Chittorgarh-Mumbai.

A very big thanks to H V Kumar, whose valuable inputs have helped me finalise on the plan and the route. Thank you to all the others who have already visited Leh/Ladakh and have posted their travelogues. You all have been a source of immense inspiration.

Would be great if I could meet up with any other TeamBHPian, undertaking a trip around this period.

Regards
Gautam.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Keep a buffer for the beginning of the monsoons in Punjab/ Himachal. Although chances of any dislocation are low, you can face foggy weather in Punjab region and some bad roads in Himachal, especially between Keylong and Manali-Mandi.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:16   #10
BHPian

I am planning the same trip around 15th May with a Qualis and 3 people on board. Only difference is I am planning to return via Jammu route.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:09   #11
BHPian

@ hvk, even though there is no buffer mentioned in the itinerary, we have already considered that there may be a possibility of some breaks in the journey, due to some unforseen circumstances and have kept around 3 to 4 days extra.

@tazmaan. All the best for your road trip. What is the route you are planning to take? Just ask the gurus here and find out if all the roads will be open by then. Especially the passes between Manali and Ladakh.

Regards
Gautam.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post

The route: Mumbai-Chittorgarh, Chittorgarh-Panipat, Panipat-Patnitop, Patnitop-Sonamarg, Sonamarg-Kargil, Kargil-Padum, Padum-Kargil, Kargil-Leh, Leh-Deskit/Hunder, Deskit/Hunder-PangongTso/Tangtse, PangongTso/Tangtse-TsoMoriri, TsoMoriri-Sarchu, Sarchu-Manali, Manali-New Delhi, New Delhi-Ajmer-Chittorgarh, Chittorgarh-Mumbai.
Gautam, as already stated by HVK, you should be looking at covering the planes faster. Also I don't see you stopping at Srinagar? Any particular reason?
Old 10th May 2010, 14:05   #13
BHPian

@ Milecruncher,

I am not stopping at Srinagar, but will be leaving Patnitop/Kud early in the morning. Will be able to spend some time in and around Srinagar and leave at say about 4.00 pm for Sonamarg. I am presuming, that should give us a time to see the Dal Lake and other points of interest.

Gautam.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Milecruncher,

I am not stopping at Srinagar, but will be leaving Patnitop/Kud early in the morning. Will be able to spend some time in and around Srinagar and leave at say about 4.00 pm for Sonamarg. I am presuming, that should give us a time to see the Dal Lake and other points of interest.

Gautam.
If you really ask me, Srinagar with its 4 baghs, Pari mahal, Shikara Ride and Shankaracharya Temple / Hazratbal Mosque is a whole day affair, actually even 2 days. So accordingly take your pick.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:

@tazmaan. All the best for your road trip. What is the route you are planning to take? Just ask the gurus here and find out if all the roads will be open by then. Especially the passes between Manali and Ladakh.

Regards
Gautam.
I am taking Mumbai-Udaipur-Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Delhi-Udaipur-Mumbai Route.

We have two cars now: Qualis and Innova with 8 people travelling.

We are Starting on 17th May and coming back on the 4 or 5th of June.

In case the LEH-Manali road is still closed we will take the Jammu route back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks