Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 17:39   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
If I were to start from Chennai around 05:00 a.m., is there a nice place from where I can have breakfast by around 07:30? Also which are the nice petrol stations on the way? I would like to fill up once in between.
I had done Ooty-Chennai couple of months back. Would suggest taking Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Metupalyam (bye-passing Coimbatore). If you start at 5:00 am you can try the Deepam (Pallikonda) or at Vellore. I started for Coimbatore at around 5 AM and had breakfast at Chola The restaurant. It is just after Vaniyambadi as you go from Chennai. The food is good and not as pricey as A2B. Also, it is less crowded. The only drawback is it comes in your opposite side. Look for the restaurant immediately after the exit for Tiruppur branches off after leaving Vaniyambadi. If you reach the toll then it means you have missed it.
For fuel, you can either try the A2B Thoppur (COCO) or fill it at Salem.
Old 16th November 2010, 17:51   #62
BHPian

Exit for Tirupathur and not Tiruppur, AFAIK
Old 16th November 2010, 18:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Exit for Tirupathur and not Tiruppur, AFAIK
Yes and more popularly, exit for Yelagiri hills.
Old 16th November 2010, 20:05   #64
cLJ
BHPian

Don't use the Tirupathur/Jolarpat road to Salem, it is in very bad condition at many stretches and time consuming. It would always be better to come through Krishnagiri.

CLJ
Old 17th November 2010, 12:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I had done Ooty-Chennai couple of months back. Would suggest taking Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Metupalyam (bye-passing Coimbatore).
Thanks. How long did you take to reach Ooty?
Old 17th November 2010, 13:44   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As HVK mentioned Mettupalayam-Ooty road is blocked. Go via Kotagiri.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:24   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As HVK mentioned Mettupalayam-Ooty road is blocked. Go via Kotagiri.
there was a news on papers yesterday that the meetupalayam-coonoor-ooty road has been thrown open.

here is the article for the same:

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Normalcy restored on Ooty-Coonoor National Highway
Old 17th November 2010, 16:32   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by leylander View Post
there was a news on papers yesterday that the meetupalayam-coonoor-ooty road has been thrown open.

here is the article for the same:

The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Normalcy restored on Ooty-Coonoor National Highway
Thanks for that update. So things are limping back to normal. I heard its raining pretty heavy there.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
While going I went to Pollachi first for a day and then went to Ooty. For return I started at 9:30 AM from Ooty reached Annur at 11 AM , Salem at 1 PM (Lunch and fuel fill up - time taken 50 mins) reached Krishnagiri at 3:15 PM had a puncture at Pachakuppam (after Ambur ) lost 20 mins here, reached Vellore at 5:00 PM to reach Chennai (Virugambakkam) at 7PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:05   #70
BHPian

re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

I am planning to visit masinagudi from Chennai next week.
Please advise the best possible route.I will be travelling with my wife and 2yr old daughter.

Planning to use two of the below routes:

Route1:
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmappuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Athani - Sathyamangalam-Punjur-Bandipur-Masinagudi.
As per the map.this route passes through dense satyamnaghalam forest.so drive must be scenic as well as chances of wildlife sightings.correct me if i am wrong.

Route 2:
Masinagudi-Kothagiri-Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Perundurai-Salem-Attur-Ullunurpet-Tambaram.

Route 3:
Masinagudi-Mysore-Bangalore-Chennai.

I read in another thread that ullundurpet to Avinashi has become a 4lane highway now.

Please suggest the fastest and best route.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:50   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Fast and smart route is Bangalore, Mysore, Bandipur, Mudumalai, Masinagudi, Sigur, Ooty, Kotagiri, Mettupalayam, Annoor, Avanashi, Salem and out through to Madras. Roads are great on this route.
Plenty of wildlife in Bandipur and Mudumalai. Good season for spotting too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 18:54   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Route1:
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmappuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Athani - Sathyamangalam-Punjur-Bandipur-Masinagudi.
As per the map.this route passes through dense satyamnaghalam forest.so drive must be scenic as well as chances of wildlife sightings.correct me if i am wrong.
If you can avoid Chennai-Krishnagiri and take the Uludurpet option, thats worth it. Due to 6 lane conversion, there are quite many diversions.
So I would suggest Tindivanam-Uludurpet-Salem for both parts of the journey.

Now Salem to Masinagudi you have an option to go via Oooty/Gudalur or
take Sathyamangalam ghats.

If you take the Ooty option:

Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty-Gudalur-Masinagudi
(Be aware that in most cases you will not be allowed descend down the 36 hair pin bends route. You will be asked to take the longer route via Gudalur)

If you take the sathyamangalam:

Salem-Bhavani-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Dimbam-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Masinagudi.

This I think should take shorter time, because you get drive lesser distance on the ghats. But having said that you have a 26 hairpin bends on the
Dimbam ghats and its possible that a truck break-down on one of these bends which can cause delay. The route is very good condition however.

Or just for the fun take one route while going and the other while coming!

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2012 at 18:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Good season for spotting too.
Thanks for the route advise.That's the reason why i am going to masinagudi instead of Ooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you can avoid Chennai-Krishnagiri and take the Uludurpet option, thats worth it. Due to 6 lane conversion, there are quite many diversions.
So I would suggest Tindivanam-Uludurpet-Salem for both parts of the journey.

Now Salem to Masinagudi you have an option to go via Oooty/Gudalur or
take Sathyamangalam ghats.

If you take the Ooty option:

Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty-Gudalur-Masinagudi
(Be aware that in most cases you will not be allowed descend down the 36 hair pin bends route. You will be asked to take the longer route via Gudalur)
Is there any reason why we are not allowed to descend? is it because the roads are very steep that they are giving preference to the vehicles climbing?

Should i have to climb ooty and descend down immediately??. That's too much of ghat driving in day.

If you take the sathyamangalam:

Salem-Bhavani-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Dimbam-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Masinagudi.
If i type Tambaram to masinagudi in google maps,it shows a 3rd route. i.e once we pass sathyamangalam,there is a place called punjur and it takes a diversion from there instead of going to chamarajanagar,it goes to a place called talavadi and then straight to bandipur.
Is this road good? looks much shorter.

Or just for the fun take one route while going and the other while coming!
Thanks a lot for replying.I have a few doubts regarding the route(see bold).
Old 14th November 2012, 21:40   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Is there any reason why we are not allowed to descend? is it because the roads are very steep that they are giving preference to the vehicles climbing?
Its a narrow road and I think they give preference to climb

Quote:
Should i have to climb ooty and descend down immediately??. That's too much of ghat driving in day.
Since you go via Gudalur, it should not be a steep climb down. Should be possible in day. But the pain is crossing Conoor and Ooty.

Quote:
If i type Tambaram to masinagudi in google maps,it shows a 3rd route. i.e once we pass sathyamangalam,there is a place called punjur and it takes a diversion from there instead of going to chamarajanagar,it goes to a place called talavadi and then straight to bandipur.
Is this road good? looks much shorter.
First of firsts :Since you said Tambaram, please take the Uludurpet route to come to Salem.

Secondly I am not sure if access to Talavadi is allowed. Its a forest range. You can confirm with others. I am not too sure about it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 23:41   #75
BHPian

Quote:
The best will be Krishnagiri-Hosur-NICE Road-Exit at Kanakapura Road-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet-Masinagudi.
This will be excellent and scenic once you get onto Kanakapura road. Not too much ghats, less traffic, good tarmac and probably the fastest. The downside is there aren't any decent eateries. You have to plan your food stops before getting onto NICE Road or Nijaguna in Chamarajnagar. There are also quite a few resorts once you exit from NICE to Kanakapura road.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks