Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 14:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

But why do you want to do Masinagudi via Bangalore? If you don't have anything to do at Bangalore please avoid Chennai-Bangalore for the time being.

I would prefer to do Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-kotagiri-Ooty-Masinagudi. Good roads through out.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:46   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I would prefer to do Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-kotagiri-Ooty-Masinagudi. Good roads through out.

That I would say would drain even more than Bangalore. He can do I think what you did.

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. Crossing Ooty is even more painful.
Also crossing Bangalore is not that painful if you are on Kanakpura road (NH209). Its painful only for Mysore road. Yes some sections on Hosur-Bangalore would be bad. But I think its still OK provided you take the NH209.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Bhavani-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi. Crossing Ooty is even more painful.
Yeh. This is better option than Ooty.

Quote:
Also crossing Bangalore is not that painful if you are on Kanakpura road (NH209). Its painful only for Mysore road. Yes some sections on Hosur-Bangalore would be bad. But I think its still OK provided you take the NH209.
I am scared of Chennai-Bangalore not because of the reason to cross the city but actually to reach the City. Chennai-Krishnagiri stretch has hell lot of diversions (countless) and on the stretches where 6 laning is complete, the left most lane is used by Share Autos, bikers who drive on both directions. And the Krisnagiri-Hosur section is even worse than the Chennai-Krishnagiri. On the whole, it was a nightmare for me when I did Chennai-Bangalore few weeks back (on my way to Wayanad).
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 21:01   #94
BHPian

Thank you Ampere/ Ramesh. I had to edit my post as I missed your earlier posts! My bad.

Given the long weekend every resort that exists in Masinagudi and ooty must be overflowing. I would guess there would be more traffic headed from bangalore than the other side. I was begining to think twice about going via bangalore. I'll probably stick to the last suggestion to go via Sathyamangalam. Lets hope the rain gods don't get too aggressive on me.

Quote:
If you ca push say 3/4AM Friday morning, you should at Bangalore NICE by about 8/9AM max. Masinagudi can be easily done in another 4-5 hours. You should be there by late noon. I propose this as you dont climb ghats that day.

Chennai-Krishnagiri-Hosur-NICE-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi.

Last edited by StudioAbraham : 6th August 2013 at 21:22. Reason: Missed Ramesh's reply
Old 7th August 2013, 19:55   #95
BHPian

Any update on current weather at Ooty? Someone told me today that its raining almost throughout the day, though not heavy rain.

I am planning to go this Friday morning from Bangalore. Any update will be helpful to take a final call tomorrow, as we are going with small kids.
Old 7th August 2013, 20:08   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoyr View Post
Any update on current weather at Ooty?
One of my friend in Coonor says the same about rains. More than the rains if it becomes foggy you will not be able to enjoy any sights.
For updated route information you can check this link
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 15:15   #97
BHPian

Guys,

Planning my vacation to Ooty coming 1st week october.
Can you please advice on the route such that I reach ooty on same day. Let me know whether the time frame is fine with my 8 months old kid onboard.

we 3 will be going in i10.

Regards,
Rajesh
Chennai
Old 20th August 2013, 17:09   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
Guys,

Can you please advice on the route such that I reach ooty on same day. Let me know whether the time frame is fine with my 8 months old kid onboard.
Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vazhapadi-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor-Ooty

That the best route today.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 22:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vazhapadi-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor-Ooty

That the best route today.
I would suggest the last leg to be mettupalayam-kotagiri-dodabetta-Ooty. Roads were fantastic even during the monsoon and traffic hardly any compared to the normal route
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 23:19   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post

I would suggest the last leg to be mettupalayam-kotagiri-dodabetta-Ooty. Roads were fantastic even during the monsoon and traffic hardly any compared to the normal route
Hope my query finally solved. Thanks amp and DeEpAK.:-) hope Oct month will be fine this monsoon.
Old 20th August 2013, 23:32   #101
BHPian

Quote:

Hope my query finally solved. Thanks amp and DeEpAK.:-) hope Oct month will be fine this monsoon.
The monsoon is usually over by that time. You should be totally fine.
Old 20th August 2013, 23:54   #102
Team-BHP Support

Just that be ready with warm clothes. It may cold in there.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Ooty would be nippy in the evenings and late nights during October, so would be better to carry some warm clothes especially for your kid. Also suggest you go via Kothagiri rather than going via Coonoor. Traffic is lesser and the drive would be peaceful if you are planning for a weekend visit.

If you are not particular about staying in Ooty, look at staying at Kotagiri, would be serene and peaceful without the commercial hustle and bustle of Ooty. You could always make day trips to Ooty / Coonoor to look at places like Botanical Garden etc.
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:14   #104
BHPian

I did the Chennai - Bhavani - Sathy - Bannari - Masinagudi - Ooty - Avalanche - Ooty - Kotagiri - Chennai drive last weekend.

As expected NH 45 roads was excellent. Once I turned right after Ulundurpet, the road was lovely largely but for the patches where the 4 lane road suddenly shrinks into a two way-two lane roads. While the quality of the road is nice throughout, loads of caution may be required if you are driving in the dark. Once I crossed Salem the road were back to brilliance until Bhavani.

The road between Bhavani to Sathy was narrow, lots of local trucks and rash bikers tested my driving skills. Over taking was risky & difficult. I was surprised to see that there are no direction boards to Sathyamangalam all through the stretch. Its only then I realized the highways authority stick to the short name i.e, Sathy. It took me a while to get this

Roads were nice once I reached Bannari after crossing Sathy until Gundlupet. Its gets super scenic after the hair pins - I wish I could have stopped and clicked a few pictures too, but I just couldn't take my feet off the pedal! Do watch out for the Sun flower farms between Chamrajanagara & Bandipur.

The roads between Masingagudi & Ooty were good. The first few kilometers had quiet a few pot holes but once I got closer to the ghats it was nice & smooth. I took the road to emerald lake from Ooty as I was heading to a farmstay in Avalanche.

On my way back I took the road via Kotagiri from the charring cross signal. Brilliant roads again until Metupalayam. Road gets narrow once you get to Annur & Avinashi. One small section where you get back into a 4 lane toll road is crazy with vehicles going in both directions in both sides of the road. After that its a smooth ride on the Salem - Kanyakumari highway.

I really didn't keep my eyes on the clock but it was roughly a 10 hour drive to Masinagudi with a breakfast break & a couple of shorter breaks. On the way back, it was 10 hours until I reached Kattankulathur. Thanks to the terrible traffic until Vandalur it took me more than an our to turn into the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road. Next time I am hitting OMR from NH45, I am going to try Chengulpet - Thiruporor road.

Thanks to Ampere & Ramesh for the right advice on the roads....
Old 24th August 2013, 18:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

we 3 will be going in i10.

Regards,
Rajesh
Chennai
Hi Rajesh! If you are heading straight to Ooty, then you consider an alternative route which is kanchi-vellore-vaniyambadi-krishnagiri-dharmapuri-thoppur-mettur-adani-sathy-mettupalayam-conoor-Ooty. You would be taking poonamalee-Bangalore route till krishnagiri and then take left at krishnagiri. If you are starting at 4 am, then breakfast at around 9 am at thoppur A2B and lunch at Ooty around 1 pm. By the way, which car would you be taking?

Most Viewed