Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 07:22   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

I am planning a trip from April 6 - April 10th to Ooty. I plan to drive down. This is my first long trip with my son. I would be driving a WagonR. My plan is as follows

1. Drive down to Coimbatore. Planning to stay near the railway station (Hotel Thai). Which route would be good to drive ?

2. Plan to drive via Kothagiri to Ooty the next day. My son hates hair pin bends. I believe the Kothagiri route has lesser number of them. Is it so ? Hope the route would be scenic too

3. Drive back the 4th day to Coimbatore and stay the night. Leave next morning and drive back to chennai.

Is my plan ok ?
Old 24th March 2009, 09:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats good plan, I suggest try Mettupalyam - (you need to check road condition) Kotagiri - Doddapetta while going to Ooty and come via Ooty-Conoor-mettupalyam-Coimbatore while coming back.

Ooty - Conoor route is congested one so expect traffic jam. Roads are in very good shape there.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup the Kothagiri route is way way better and scenic too. Going by Mettupalayam is a pain - too much traffic. The Kothagiri route is tad longer but it would nt be very tiring. PM me if you need any more help. Cheers!
Old 24th March 2009, 10:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

On any day I would advice the Ooty - Kotagiri - Mettupalayam route its a matter of 4/5 kms longer not more than that but in terms of time taken it would be much faster than the one via Coonoor not to forget the pain of getting stuck behind slow moving traffic regularly in the form of Bus & Lorries.

You could do Chennai - Ooty in a single day, I dont think you need to stay in Coimbatore just for a night, if you are a reasonably fast driver.

Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmappuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Athani - Sathyamangalam - Sirumugai - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty would be the route.

If you start around 5 in the morning conservatively you would reach Mettur by 11.30 from there Mettupalayam would take you about 3 and a half hours which means you could reach Mettupalayam by around 4 including a break. After a break at Mettupalayam you could reach Ooty by 7 comfortably. Please note the timings I have given are extremely conservative.

If you dont want to climb the same day I would suggest you stay overnight at Mettupalayam and drive the next day morning. Going into Coimbatore and then coming to Mettupalayam is a waste of time and energy. PM me your number will give you a call to explain you the exact route.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is good advise srikanth, I think route you suggested is in good conditon as well right ? Although I won't travel in this route but this would help potential tourists.

I do agree about heavy traffic in most of the times between conoor-ooty.

Ravi.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

The route is in good condition all the way Ravi, from Thoppur to Ammapettai you would have traffic which goes towards Bhavani, once you take the right turn at Ammapettai towards Athani there would be hardly enough traffic to worry you. The road from Sathyamangalam to Mettupalayam is a faboulous 2 lane state highway.

Not only would you take more time via Coonoor it adds strain to your driving which is unnecessary. Avoid the entire thing by taking the route via Kotagiri
Old 25th March 2009, 07:54   #7
BHPian

thanks guys for your suggestions. srikanth will pm my number to you later today. I want a relaxed drive and dont mind staying in cmb/mettupalayam the night.
Old 25th March 2009, 09:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has the kms break up? How long is Avilanchi from Ooty & is that road motorable?
Old 25th March 2009, 09:34   #9
BHPian

Even i would agree with srikanths route. You should be able to cover the distances much faster than he mentioned. Stay in coimbatore only if you have to. The coimbatore-mettupalayam route is a mess with very heavy traffic and even worse roads.

Two months back..i did Thoppur - Mettupalayam in 3.5 hrs with a 30 min break in Sathy. Also like he said, the sathy-mettupalayam road is an amazing road to drive.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:42   #10
BHPian

m8002... i am planning a relaxed drive and dont want to rush to ooty on the same day. is there any good place to stay in mettupalayam ?
Old 25th March 2009, 12:08   #11
BHPian

I did see a few hotels near the bus-stand. Dont know the names.

Your call on the drive. What time are you planning to start? Maybe that should decide if you want to stay at metupalayam.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:23   #12
BHPian

with a 4 year old son, even if I decide as 5 AM, we would tend to creep up to 6 AM which would be my likely start time.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:59   #13

I just got a confirmation that May 1st is holiday for us (due to project pressure we planned to work earlier) so I am planning to Drive to Ooty from chennai.
Guys I am new for long driving in India, so please suggest me the Best routes so that I can cover a miles with ease.

I can start at 5PM from chennai on 30th April and I have May 1/2/3 in hand.

pypkmsrikanth has suggested
Quote:
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmappuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Athani - Sathyamangalam - Sirumugai - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty
How are the current road conditions? Any breakup of Kilometers and if I want to take a break(halt for night) which would be the better place?

Also, Need your advice on driving the up/down hill in ooty?
Old 27th April 2009, 20:18   #14
BHPian

Would it make sense to drive from Chennai - Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty ? This route has better roads than the Coimbatore route. Or is it too far compared to the Coimbatore Route ?

Last edited by neoranjit : 27th April 2009 at 20:22.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Would it make sense to drive from Chennai - Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty ? This route has better roads than the Coimbatore route. Or is it too far compared to the Coimbatore Route ?
Ranjit the route you have suggested is not only longer, you also would end up losing a lot of time between Hosur & Mysore road. The best route to Ooty is the one I had suggested initially Chennai - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty. Bharanidharan had done this very recently and he had indicated that it was a peaceful ride.

@locoaman - If you are new to long distance driving in India, I would suggest you start early in the morning rather than evening. If you start around 2 AM you would reach Thoppur around day break - this would be 4 lane road all the way which would be less sternous for you, you could still reach Ooty 12/1 PM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks