Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 11:11   #1
BHPian

To Tumkur - Nice road or regular [via Yashwantpur] road?

Hi,

I want to travel to Dharwad from Bangalore [Jayanagar to be specific] but getting confused which route to take to reach NH4.

I always take this via Yashwantpur road. But since the Nice road is ready, I was thinking of taking this route from Mysore road intersection. [It is easy since i live in south Blore]

Can anybody help me choose? I plan to start early in the morning at 4 Am hence traffic is not a criterion. Just distance and safety are bothering me.
So which is better...

Also can anybody give inputs on the latest condition of NH4 near Haveri/Harihar?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by penpavan : 25th March 2009 at 11:23.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:35   #2
BANNED

Take the NICE Road from Mysore Road intersection to Peenya - easier and faster. Don't stop anywhere except at the toll plazas, though.

Chitradurga onwards you will go through diversions etc. Be careful on Harihar bypass - a dip just before a culvert can send you flying if you're going too fast. Once you cross Ranibennur, the 4-laned road appears again just before Haveri town - peaceful after this.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Take the NICE Road from Mysore Road intersection to Peenya - easier and faster. Don't stop anywhere except at the toll plazas, though.

Chitradurga onwards you will go through diversions etc. Be careful on Harihar bypass - a dip just before a culvert can send you flying if you're going too fast. Once you cross Ranibennur, the 4-laned road appears again just before Haveri town - peaceful after this.
I know that dip!! Have had an almost wreck the first time i went over it.

But i think they have fixed it because I did not find it last time when i went [April 08]. I hope it has not reappeared...
Old 25th March 2009, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

From Jayanagar it will be easier to get on to the NICE Ring Road from Kanakapura Road rather than from Mysore Road.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
From Jayanagar it will be easier to get on to the NICE Ring Road from Kanakapura Road rather than from Mysore Road.
You mean distance wise?
Old 25th March 2009, 12:07   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I know that dip!! Have had an almost wreck the first time i went over it.

But i think they have fixed it because I did not find it last time when i went [April 08]. I hope it has not reappeared...
Saar, 3 of us flew in the Safari in December 2008 at that spot. Member Guderian flew his Scorpio over the same spot 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Saar, 3 of us flew in the Safari in December 2008 at that spot. Member Guderian flew his Scorpio over the same spot 2-3 weeks ago.
Ok! Point noted. I shall be careful there. Hey thanks!
Old 26th March 2009, 21:59   #8
BHPian

Pavan,

You can also choose:
Jayanagar - Majestic - Okalipuram - Magadi Road - Sunkadakatte - take right after crossing the bridge over NICE road. Advantage is you will save toll charges from Mysore Road till Magadi Road toll booth. The Magadi road stretch will be empty at that time and the road condition is also normal.
Just curious to know if you are planning to leave at 4AM you can take Yeshwantpur route & save on the NICE toll charges though I am not sure about the latest Metro/Elevated expressway developments on Yeshwantpur - Peenya junction.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:49   #9
jp1
BHPian

koramangala --> Chitradurga

Can somebody guide me how to get to Chitradurga from Koramangala. I have seen lot of suggestion to take NICE road, I have no idea about this route and doing this trip for the very first time. Should I take NICE road via Hosur road? Chitradurga is around 200 Kms from Bangalore, right?. How is the traffic on this route, is it heavy?. How long it takes to reach Chitradurga with an average speed of about 70kms/Hr?

jp
Old 12th June 2009, 18:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
You mean distance wise?
Yes, its better you reach NICE road from Kanakapura road. Distance as well as time at advantange. Sooner you hit NICE road, more the time/fuel you save.
Old 12th June 2009, 19:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Can somebody guide me how to get to Chitradurga from Koramangala. I have seen lot of suggestion to take NICE road, I have no idea about this route and doing this trip for the very first time. Should I take NICE road via Hosur road? Chitradurga is around 200 Kms from Bangalore, right?. How is the traffic on this route, is it heavy?. How long it takes to reach Chitradurga with an average speed of about 70kms/Hr?
jp
From Koramangala, the easiest way to reach NICE road is using Bannerghatta road or Kanakapura road. On bannerghatta road, you have take right once you see Himagiri Meadows board on your left hand side.

Kanakapur Road, once you see a over bridge in front of you across your road, you need to take right turn along the over bridge.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:26   #12
jp1
BHPian

Thanks Selective,
How is the traffic? Is it heavy? If so, starting early morning will be better?
How is the road condition, good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
From Koramangala, the easiest way to reach NICE road is using Bannerghatta road or Kanakapura road. On bannerghatta road, you have take right once you see Himagiri Meadows board on your left hand side.

Kanakapur Road, once you see a over bridge in front of you across your road, you need to take right turn along the over bridge.
Old 13th June 2009, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Thanks Selective,
How is the traffic? Is it heavy? If so, starting early morning will be better?
How is the road condition, good?
Both Bannerghatta Road and Kanakapura roads are fine. I would recommend leaving Koramangala at 7:00 am or earlier if you want to make rapid progress.
Old 13th June 2009, 13:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

I too would suggest the NICE road. But not during the nights. Early morning 4:30 5ish and you'd be in Chitradurga in say 3 1/2 hrs or lesser.
Old 13th June 2009, 22:23   #15
jp1
BHPian

thank you Hondadude, prince_pervez
jp

Most Viewed