Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 21:06   #16
BHPian

Thanx for the reply !

One more question, what are the inclusions and exclusions in this package ? Is it per person, per vehicle ? Night stays etc ? If its per person, what would be the no of pax in one vehicle ?

Also, how much does the visa and other paperwork cost ?
Old 24th April 2009, 20:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of research on the net and feedbacks from various people who have done the same trip, I have shortlisted a person who organises trips To Mount Kailash.

He is asking for 75,000/- INR per person for a 16 day trip ex-kathmandu. The above amount includes almost everything starting from boarding & lodging in 3-star and tents and all 3 meals(vegeterian), bedding with sleeping bags and matresses, Yak and yak men for parikrama, monastry fees, oxygen, chinese visa, tibet permits, oxygen etc etc.

All paperwork, visas and permits, will be done by him.

The trip will be done in new model 4500 Land cruiser jeep. And the itenary would be Kathmandu-Naylam-Saga-Prayang-Mansarovar-Darchen-Dira Puk-Zutuk Puk-Mansarovar and back to Kathmansu the same way.

Dira Puk is the highest point at 4900meters/ or 16000 feet.

The dates my parents have shortlisted are 30/05/09 or 11/06/09 ex-kathmandu. The earlier dates looks more promising as during this the day they do parikrama of Mt. Kailash is a full moon day.

So lets see what is finalised
Old 25th April 2009, 20:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

75k looks like a good deal, the reputation of the operator needs to be checked out.

I know of people who have done this; last year one of my friends went up to Delhi, to go thro. Khatmandu, the trip was called off due to the Tibet problem, he's still waiting his turn, he was quoted 65K, I think the operator is not connected enough to push him through.

On the other hand, I had a friend from Kerala who did this trip some time last year, cost him 80,000/- ex-Khatmandu.

The land rover option A is the best, allows time to acclamatize on the way up, the toughest part is from the 2nd day up from Khatmandu.

All the best to your parents and good health.

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 25th April 2009 at 20:39.
Old 25th April 2009, 21:15   #19
BHPian

Will wait for your parents feedback on the trip. I too have plans of doing this trip myself probably in the next 2-3 years.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Ramky:- Thanks for the advice, am trying to check the credentials of the operator. I came to know of him thru someone in Jaipur who did the same trip with him. So far he seems pretty reliable. But I hav'nt finalised him..just shortlisted him

@watashi:- will keep this thread updated regarding the trip, hope all goes well as they still have to apply for visas and permits, and some time the Chinese do refuse visas/permits to ex-army officers. So fingers crossed.
Old 26th May 2009, 20:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Things have changed a bit since I posted last. Now my dad has decided not to go for the trip, hence it will be me accompanying mom for the same.

We will be leaving India for Nepal on the 29th of June. Our passport details with the advance has been sent to the agent and he will organise the paperwork and the Chinese Visa.

Following is the itenary:-
DAY 01: (June 29): Arrive at Kathmandu airport and transfer to Hotel Harati.

DAY 02:(June 30): After breakfast go for sightseeing tour to visit
temple of Pashupatinath the biggest Hindu Temple.

DAY 03: (July 01): DRIVE To NYALAM - (3750m)
A short drive of only 30 km (approx. 1:30 hrs.) from the
border to reach Nyalam O/N.

DAY 04: ( July 02): REST DAY IN NYALAM - (3750m)
We will stay one day more for the acclimatization in Nyalam, stay at
the same Guest House In Nyalam.

DAY 05: ( July 03): DRIVE TO SAGA - (4840m)
Drive approx 8 hrs (250 km) to the huge lake called Peiku-tso crossing
two high passes. After a picnic lunch at the bank of Peiku-tso lake we
continue drive to Saga crossing the Yarlung Tsangpo (Brahmaputra River) stay at Guest House in Saga.

DAY 06: ( July 04): DRIVE TO PRAYANG - (4540m)
After a drive of (250 km) 8 hrs approx. we will reach to Prayang, this
is a small town, we will stay at lodge in Prayang.

DAY 07: (July 05): DRIVE TO MANSAROVAR - (4558m).
After the drive of 280 km approx 8 hrs we reach holy Lake Mansarovar
located just 30km south of Mt. Kailash. Stay at the lodge in Hore,

DAY 08: (July 06): DRIVE TO DARCHEN – (4560m)
After taking holy bath and performing Puja, will take you to parikrama
of Mansarovar Lake and proceed to Base Camp of Mt.Kailash stay at
Guest House in Darchen.

DAY 09: (July 07) :TREK TO DIRA-PUK - (4900m).
Drive about 8 km to Tarboche, this is the starting point for Kora and
trek to Deraphuk stay at camp.

DAY 10: (July 08): TREK TO ZUTUL-PUK - (4790m.)
Will again proceed to Drolma Chu valley, heading up towards a high
pass, the Drolma La (5640m.). It's a tough climb to the summit, which
is festooned, with prayer flags but from there it is all downhill or
flat to Zutul-Puk, stay at the camp of ZutulPhuk.

DAY 11: (July 09): DRIVE ZUTUL-PHUK TO HORE, MANSAROVAR.
Trek to Rongdu and drive to Darchen to proceed Hore-Mansarovar – stay O/N

DAY 12: (July 10) RIVE TO PRAYANG
Drive from Hore Mansarovar to Prayang- stay at lodge in prayang.

DAY 13: (July 11): DRIVE TO SAGA. Stay at lodge.

DAY 14: (July 12): DRIVE TO NYALAM. Stay at lodge.

DAY 15: (July 13): DRIVE BACK TO TIBET/NEPAL BORDER and drive to
Kathmandu - check-in to Hotel Harati P.LTD.

DAY 16: (July 14): After breakfast drive to airport for onward journeys.

The End.

My mom is very happy that the day we start our "parikrama" around Mt Kailash is Guru Poornima day supposed to be very auspicious. The Parikrama is 52 kms and takes 3 days, I am hoping to do it on foot and would most probably hire a Yak for Mom

The highest point of this trekk is almost 20,000Ft so I am naturally very excited.

Its just about 1 month left so any idea guys how to start training my body for such heights??
Old 26th May 2009, 20:53   #22
BHPian

Wow itinerary looks pretty exciting! 1 month is pretty less time to tune your body for such an arduous trip, unless you already happen to be reasonably fit. Acclimatization would be the biggest problem and you cannot prepare for it beforehand.

But whatever you do please do not forget to take your camera and batteries!
Old 26th May 2009, 22:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Things have changed a bit since I posted last. Now my dad has decided not to go for the trip, hence it will be me accompanying mom for the same.
Wow, thats good news for bhpians. We can as usual expect a fantastic travelogue from you...

regards
tifosi.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Wow, thats good news for bhpians. We can as usual expect a fantastic travelogue from you...

regards
tifosi.
Yeah, one the reasons of me going there is to take lots and lots of photos and put them here. Just hope the weather remains good enough.

As the date is getting closer I am getting more and more excited about being there.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nepal right now will not be very safe for Indians.
Nebuti is the largest and the only agent that organises this trip. I have their contact number. One Agarwal guy. Everyone else that offers this trip is their sub-agent.
I would still advice caution before going to Nepal under the current situation.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:58   #26
BHPian

Start running early in the mornings everyday and cover gradients in your run. Will improve your cardio a lot and give your lungs a workout.A lot of stretching some light exercises/yoga (breathing exercises) and some weight training should also be part of your routine.

This sure has the makings of one amazing travelogue so do note down all the details/experiences in a dairy. Once you are back you can then post it without having forgotten stuff.

Yes carry your cam and a lot of batteries and charger.

One day I hope to do this trip too. The calling of the Himalayas is something I wont be able to resist and it's one place I defitely want to see apart from Ladakh.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:28   #27
BHPian

Wishing you & your family a glorious trip, Deky.

In more ways than one, this surely signifies a great way-to-go. Shall earnestly look forward to your posts / pics & report on the entire trip.

HariOM - should be an apt sign-off to you here.

Old 8th June 2009, 13:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Nepal right now will not be very safe for Indians.
Nebuti is the largest and the only agent that organises this trip. I have their contact number. One Agarwal guy. Everyone else that offers this trip is their sub-agent.
I would still advice caution before going to Nepal under the current situation.
Thanks for the concern Sudipto, we have been discussing that in the family as well. But now the advance has been paid and the flight bookings also have been done. We can just hope that all settles down by the end of the month

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Start running early in the mornings everyday and cover gradients in your run. Will improve your cardio a lot and give your lungs a workout.A lot of stretching some light exercises/yoga (breathing exercises) and some weight training should also be part of your routine.

This sure has the makings of one amazing travelogue so do note down all the details/experiences in a dairy. Once you are back you can then post it without having forgotten stuff.

Yes carry your cam and a lot of batteries and charger.

One day I hope to do this trip too. The calling of the Himalayas is something I wont be able to resist and it's one place I defitely want to see apart from Ladakh.
Already started doing the excersing bit, just have to cut down on my smoking . As suggested by you have also started to maintain a diary just to note down all the pre-trip preperations that are going on.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2009, 12:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening while flicking TV channels I came across a news on Zee That 6 Yatris on the way to Kailash mansarovar trip have died. The area mentioned was Prayang which is on Nepal- Tibet border.

They were not mentioning the reason behind the deaths. Has anyone here been able to get the full news. Any inputs on this news would be greatly appreciated.

Tried googling it but couldnt get any news on the same.

Regards
Dhiraj
Old 9th June 2009, 12:42   #30
BHPian

Could be a variety of reasons ranging from high altitude sickness, to cold weather related illnesses. I came across a link sometime back that talks about the conditions for which medicines are to be carried by pilgrims. --> this could come in handy
Planning & Preparation

Please carry adequate winter clothing and do not compromise on that. Good woolens, jackets, thermals, scarves, caps, socks and gloves. Very important especially when you are doing the parikrama around Kailash.

Have been reading a few blogs on the internet. Do look them up and they will give you a fair idea of what to expect.

Last edited by pranava999 : 9th June 2009 at 13:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks