Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 11:36   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That route is great. I'm planning on another drive during the monsoons. But I'd be taking a detour. I'd be doing hubli, yellapura, sirsi, jog falls, sagara, thirthahalli, agumbe, udupi.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

The road is still good despite thousands of overloaded trucks running everyday. I am told that at least 5000 manganese trucks pass through this road against the permissible number of 1000.
Old 6th August 2010, 06:58   #18
BHPian

Hi I am planning a trip from Hubli to mangalore via ankola.Could anyone tell me the best route and road conditions please.Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8NATIVE View Post
Hi I am planning a trip from Hubli to mangalore via ankola.Could anyone tell me the best route and road conditions please.Thanks in advance.
South Kanara is all flooded. Lot of rains.
When do you plan to go?

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2010 at 09:09.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:55   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hubli to Ankola should not be a problem. The roads hold on. Only the mining trucks were a menace and they have banned illegal mining exports.
There's around 30 km stretch near Bhatkal which has turned bad. Bhatkal is always a horror to traverse.
So if you don't mind the bhatkal stretch, keep to conventional NH63 - NH17 route.

Also check for Hubli Shimoga route condition. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Karkala - Mangalore can be done. But last I heard was that Karkala to Mangalore is not so good now.
You can also try Hebri - Udupi - NH17 in that case.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:15   #21
BHPian

@ampere and @MX6 thanks heaps for your replies.. basically driving down from pune wanted to come thru hubli via ankola to mangalore ,am a newbie on that road so have no idea at all..any suggestions welcome ..basically looking for a good drive or atleast the most reasonable stretch of road and planning to come next month...thanks a lot
Old 7th August 2010, 12:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

Yellapur strecth should be OK, but I saw on TV that even Ankola seems to be flooded. Though I am not sure if the NH has got effected. It may be the interiors.
Old 9th February 2013, 23:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road conditions?

Any latest updates on the road conditions in this area? I have an occasion to visit Ankola next week, and since the ever slow IRCTC is as usual showing a waiting list (even for Tatkals), am now trying to convince my better half that it's actually better to drive down there than to go by train.

The suggested route in Google Maps runs all the way till Belgaum over the GQ and then from Belgaum to Yellapur and then onto Ankola. Till Belgaum I assume the e-way quality road would continue. Post Belgaum, how are the roads to Yellapur and then onto Ankola?
Old 10th February 2013, 00:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The suggested route in Google Maps runs all the way till Belgaum over the GQ and then from Belgaum to Yellapur and then onto Ankola. Till Belgaum I assume the e-way quality road would continue. Post Belgaum, how are the roads to Yellapur and then onto Ankola?
Its brilliant all the way. And you drive on 4-lane all the way till Hubli and not Belgaum. Take the Dahward-Hubli bypass once you reach Hubli.
You will see the Ankola road exit on this bypass. And from there on is 120-130 km of brilliant and wide 2-lane NH.
Old 10th February 2013, 00:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ampere, but wouldn't it add to the distance? The Google Maps shows Belgaum - Hubli - Ankola would add quite a few kms to the route. Will it be quicker?
Old 10th February 2013, 00:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere, but wouldn't it add to the distance? The Google Maps shows Belgaum - Hubli - Ankola would add quite a few kms to the route. Will it be quicker?
@honeybee

But then what is the other option? If you are saying go via Anshi/Karwar then its not all worth it from a road condition point of view. And ghats will add to delay.
The option via Hubli is fastest and the best thanks to awesome road conditions.
Old 10th February 2013, 00:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

The option suggested by Google maps is from Belgaum - Khanapur - Haliyal - Yellapur, which bypasses Hubli. I haven't been to these parts, so I have no clue if this route would be better than Belgaum - Hubli - Yellapur. If the good roads can offset the distance, I am fine with it.
Old 10th February 2013, 00:44   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The option suggested by Google maps is from Belgaum - Khanapur - Haliyal - Yellapur, which bypasses Hubli. I haven't been to these parts, so I have no clue if this route would be better than Belgaum - Hubli - Yellapur. If the good roads can offset the distance, I am fine with it.
Not worth it at all. The roads are not in great shape and you spend more time, manoeuvring these roads rather than cruising on the 4-lane.

I also checked the difference in the route distance is hardly any.

Via Haliyal

Via Hubli

Do also note that the route via Hubli, goes via bypass. You dont get into the town at all.
I would say just stick to 4-lane followed by Hubli-Ankola NH. Its the time and tested solution and definitely worth it.

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2013 at 00:45.
Old 10th February 2013, 00:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ampere, I only need to convince my better half now. I hope the Indian Railways keep doing brisk business in reservations and I don't get any confirmed reservations, so the Nano can stretch its legs a little bit
Old 10th February 2013, 10:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ampere, I only need to convince my better half now. I hope the Indian Railways keep doing brisk business in reservations and I don't get any confirmed reservations, so the Nano can stretch its legs a little bit
Totally agree with ampere. The NH63 is a beautiful route and was in good condition for more than 90% of it's length when I used it to visit Karwar a couple of months ago.

With an early start from Dombivli and a liberal dosage of breaks during the journey, it should not take you more than 12-13 hours of sedate driving.

You'll have to pay toll at the start of the bypass on the Dharwad side. IIRC, the exit for NH63 on the Dharwad-Hubli bypass is approx 22-25 kms from this toll plaza.

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks