Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 23:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Any good accomodation facilities? Veg lunch along with it would be all the better. By the way we shall be visiting the Aryadurga temple there, which is the primary purpose of the visit. Any idea how crowded would it be there?
Old 11th February 2013, 23:54   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Any good accomodation facilities? Veg lunch along with it would be all the better. By the way we shall be visiting the Aryadurga temple there, which is the primary purpose of the visit. Any idea how crowded would it be there?
There are not many in Ankola. Karwar which is about 30km from there on NH17 has many places. You have Jungle lodges (Devbag).

You also have Sterling.

http://www.sterlingholidays.com/our-...network/karwar
Old 12th February 2013, 06:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how much Sterling would cost? I browsed through the site but missed the rates.

Should I book accomodation in advance or on the spot? I should be reaching there in the early afternoon.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea how much Sterling would cost? I browsed through the site but missed the rates.

Should I book accomodation in advance or on the spot? I should be reaching there in the early afternoon.
You can call them up and check. Can also find price ranges in trip advisor.
Old 12th February 2013, 09:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are willing to travel a little further down south on NH17, then Hotel Pandurang International in Kumta [35-40 kms from Ankola] is a very good option for lodging. It's clean, decent and has very reasonable rates.

http://www.hotelpandurangintl.net/tariffs.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 12th February 2013, 10:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have stayed at "Sterling - Karwar" and found this good. Decent and quiet place, slow service. I paid 1750/ for a deluxe double A/C room about a year back. Sterling had just taken over that property and were giving promotional rates that time. Not sure how much it is now. I would suggest you book in advance.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Lotus River Seaside Resort(was owned by Kamat Hotels) is renamed as Sterling Emerald Bay now.The place is total value for money.DBL is around 1500-1700 and is just after the Kali River bridge on NH17 towards Madgaon while coming from Ankola.Dombivli to this place can be done in about 8-9hours.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

I took the exit to Kalghatgi a little before reaching Hubli. The road curves back and goes from under the highway. It's pretty bad fare till you reach Kalghatgi.

I stayed in one of the lodgings available at the temples and am starting from Ankola at around 9pm. Am planning to reach Kolhapur by around 3 and this time I shall try Kalghatgi - Hubli road.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:32   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I took the exit to Kalghatgi a little before reaching Hubli. The road curves back and goes from under the highway. It's pretty bad fare till you reach Kalghatgi.

I stayed in one of the lodgings available at the temples and am starting from Ankola at around 9pm. Am planning to reach Kolhapur by around 3 and this time I shall try Kalghatgi - Hubli road.
You should not have done that at all. It does not save you any thing and the road is bad as well. You should have gone all the way till Dharwad/Hubli bypass and then taken the Ankola road. As I mentioned to you earlier, its brilliant all the way.
Old 18th February 2013, 20:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I realized that as soon as I turned onto it. Hope to correct the mistake on the return journey.
Old 19th February 2013, 22:03   #41

I am planning to take the same route from Mumbai at 4.00 pm and then drive upto Murdeshwar on this weekend, honeybee can you please let me know how the drive back was ?

I have two questions, Is it possible to start from Panvel at 5 and reach Hubli at 12 ?

Is it advisable to drive in night through hubli - ankola highway so that I can drive upto Murdeshwar in night?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Gaurav
Old 19th February 2013, 23:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Driving through the night solo may not be good. My advise is to rest for a few hours around halfway in the journey.

As for the journey back it was great. The roads were excellent throughout till I entered MH. I could maintain steady eighties.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:18   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyadav View Post
Is it advisable to drive in night through hubli - ankola highway so that I can drive upto Murdeshwar in night?
You can plan to have bulk of night drive till Hubli. So that once you cross Hubli it would be daybreak. Hubli-Ankola would be about 2 to 2.5 hours.
So if you time to be in Hubli by about 5AM for example, you would crossing the ghats to Ankola during the first ray of light. Night drive on 4-lane is easier. Wont recommend driving on 2-lane.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can plan to have bulk of night drive till Hubli. So that once you cross Hubli it would be daybreak. Hubli-Ankola would be about 2 to 2.5 hours.
Hi, I am planning to do this route the coming weekend. I am starting from Pune late evening, camping either in Kolhapur or Belgaum and next day starting via Hubli-Yellapur (NH 63) for Udupi - which is my destination for that day. Few questions

1. I recall having read in another thread that from NH 63 somewhere around Yellapur, one can take a direct route to Gokarna that bypasses Ankola. This results in about 20 km savings. Can anyone please advise on this route - where exactly one has to turn, is it a good route to take etc. I am travelling with family in an Innova.
2. Any advise on a good hotel in Belgaum ? I usually stay at Sankam residency - but that's sold out this weekend.
Old 1st April 2013, 13:11   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
1. I recall having read in another thread that from NH 63 somewhere around Yellapur, one can take a direct route to Gokarna that bypasses Ankola. This results in about 20 km savings. Can anyone please advise on this route - where exactly one has to turn, is it a good route to take etc. I am travelling with family in an Innova.
Not sure if it would be worth the savings. Because that 20km you would cover via NH63 and NH17 in very little time.

Quote:
2. Any advise on a good hotel in Belgaum ? I usually stay at Sankam residency - but that's sold out this weekend.
Dont know about any other place in Belgaum. Trip advisors some decents as per what I can make out. But not personal experience. Do you want to push on till Hubli? You can try ClarksInn or Hans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks