Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 23:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
2. Any advise on a good hotel in Belgaum ? I usually stay at Sankam residency - but that's sold out this weekend.
If you want to stay at Kolhapur, I would strongly advise Hotel Rajat Executive. Decent rates, hot water, spacious and clean rooms, and complimentary breakfast. Plus it's only a few minutes from the highway and right before the crowded areas, so getting in and out is easy. They are also open 24 hrs, so reaching there at midnight should not be an issue.

Also they have ample parking space.
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if it would be worth the savings. Because that 20km you would cover via NH63 and NH17 in very little time. .
Thanks @amp. Makes sense. Will stick to NH63 all the way till Ankola

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If you want to stay at Kolhapur, I would strongly advise Hotel Rajat Executive. Decent rates, hot water, spacious and clean rooms, and complimentary breakfast. Plus it's only a few minutes from the highway and right before the crowded areas, so getting in and out is easy. They are also open 24 hrs, so reaching there at midnight should not be an issue.

Also they have ample parking space.
Thanks @honeybee. I am still searching for options in Belgaum. If I don't get any, I might opt for this one.
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdive View Post
Thanks @honeybee. I am still searching for options in Belgaum. If I don't get any, I might opt for this one.
Hotel Sankam is a better choice in Belgaum. 1500 bucks including breakfast for an A/c room.

Also, it is close to the highway.

Cheers
Old 7th August 2014, 14:58   #49
BHPian

I plan to travel from Pune to Jog falls on 29 Aug, leaving at six in the morning.

After going thru various threads on team-bhp, the route i propose to take is as follows:

Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum- Hubli-Dharvad-Yellapur-Siddhapur-Sirsi-Jog falls.

I have Two queries;
1) Is the above route appropriate:and where does one exactly turn for the yellapur road.

2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.
Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:36   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalu View Post
- Hubli-Dharvad-Yellapur-Siddhapur-Sirsi-Jog falls.

I have Two queries;
1) Is the above route appropriate:and where does one exactly turn for the yellapur road.

2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.
Thanks
Hubli-Yellapur is goood. On the Dharwad-Hubli by-pass, you will need to turn right towards Karwar/Ankola. This exit is a little before Hubli / end of the by-pass.

Do not take the previous exit (Kalghatgi /Dharwad). This exit can save you a few km's, but the road will slow you down (road conditions + local traffic)

At Yellapur, go into town & ask for Sirsi.

Yellapur-Sirsi is fine. Last year, some stretches were a bit rough (when compared to highways). But still good enough for may people to drive on.

Sirsi -Siddhapur - no idea.

For food, an ok option is the Kamat Upachar a little before Dharwad / before the by-pass starts. On the highway there is not much choice in that area. In case you are in Belgaum at lunch time, then try the hotels adjacent to the highway , in the city. Like Hotel Sankam. There is hardly anything on the highway after Belgaum city.

Benne dosa ? not in this section ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 22:37   #51
BHPian

Thanks a lot condor for all the help, the driving time should be 10-11 hrs?
Old 8th August 2014, 06:43   #52
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2) I should hit Dharwad-Hubli by 1.00 PM; any decent places for decent vegetarian lunch close to the highway near Dharwad-Hubli. Any places for good Benne Dosa.Thanks
Davanagere is famous for it's Benne Dosa but that's beyond Hubli on the way to Bangalore since you're coming down from Pune side.

When you visit Jog, try to also visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa, 10 Km before Shimoga.
Old 8th August 2014, 07:11   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot condor for all the help, the driving time should be 10-11 hrs?
You're welcome !
10-11 hours should be fine.

Suggestion - Check out for food & fuel options before hand.

In Yellapur, there is one good IOC bunk, but it is on the highway towards Karwar. About 2 km extra, but do-able. The hotel next to it is ok for food. (DOnt use the bunk in Yellpur town itself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When you visit Jog, try to also visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa, 10 Km before Shimoga.
Shimoga is out of the way for him, since he is coming from Pune.
Old 8th August 2014, 07:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Davanagere is famous for it's Benne Dosa but that's beyond Hubli on the way to Bangalore since you're coming down from Pune side.

Tyavarekoppa will just be a waste of time and fuel. You will find some Tigers and Lions but each and every animal in this Safari not at all healthy. You can count the number of bones of all animals. Also it would be around 70 Kms from Jog. If you are looking for some detour you can check Sahasralinga near sirsi, Magod Falls, Kavadi kere and Jenukallu Gudda near Yellapur. If you have time of half a day you can also plan for Yaana. The only thing is you will have to plan your stay in Sirsi instead of Jog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Sirsi -Siddhapur - no idea.

The road between Sirsi-Siddhapur-Jog is very good. Its a single road but very scenic. After Siddhapur you can go to Jog in 2 ways.
1) Take the Mavinagundi road from Siddapur
2) Proceed almost till Talguppa and take right towards Jog on BH road.

I would personally suggest you to take Mavinagundi road as Talaguppa Siddapur road is not good for any car as of now.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th August 2014 at 08:03.
Old 24th September 2020, 18:16   #55
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Has anyone been on this stretch lately? I am planning to drive this route during my upcoming Pune - Kannur trip, mostly in the last week of October 2020.

I am planning to take the NH48 exit after Kittur and reach Kumta via (SH 93 and NH52) - Bhagavati, Yellapur, Hillur, Hiregutti. Any updates on this section would be great.
Old 24th September 2020, 18:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
Hi Folks,

Has anyone been

I am planning to take the NH48 exit after Kittur and reach Kumta via (SH 93 and NH52) - Bhagavati, Yellapur, Hillur, Hiregutti. Any updates on this section would be great.
Not recently , but it I did this around End July. The rain battered roads were ranging between good to very good. Just after Hubli , there was a road conversion for about 2 km. That was the only painful but. Else , it was a good drive. Hopefully the roads have held up good over the past two months.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
Hi Folks,

Has anyone been on this stretch lately? I am planning to drive this route during my upcoming Pune - Kannur trip, mostly in the last week of October 2020.

Drove upto Yellapur last month, road exiting Hubli is being constructed and not in very good shape, luckily it is not much distance. After this road upto Yellapur was great.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should not have done that at all. It does not save you any thing and the road is bad as well. You should have gone all the way till Dharwad/Hubli bypass and then taken the Ankola road. As I mentioned to you earlier, its brilliant all the way.
Wish I had heeded to above advise

There hasn't been an update to this thread since long so I am posting my recent trip experience. I travelled from Pune to Udupi/Manipal and back. Below I have shared my experience for the stretch from Hubli-Dharwad bypass till NH 66 (erstwhile NH-17).
Attached Thumbnails
Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road conditions?-route.png  

Last edited by Chewbacca : 3rd January 2021 at 13:20. Reason: Edited map
Chewbacca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 02:34   #59

Hi all

Planning to travel from Belgavi to Udupi in the coming weekend in my Kiger, with a baby on board. Plan is to start early morning from Belgavi, so looking for suggestions for decent restaurants for breakfast and lunch.

How is the Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola stretch? If anybody travelled recently please post your experience. I heard the Sirsi - Kumta route is under repair, so will avoid that. Let me know if there are any alternatives to cross the ghats. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th June 2022, 05:49   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopBH View Post
Planning to travel from Belgavi to Udupi in the coming weekend in my Kiger, with a baby on board. Plan is to start early morning from Belgavi, so looking for suggestions for decent restaurants for breakfast and lunch.
There is a Kamat and Cafe Coffee Day in Ankola. But the Kamat as per folks who have experienced, is a mere shadow of its old times. But its functional.

Quote:
How is the Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola stretch? If anybody travelled recently please post your experience. I heard the Sirsi - Kumta route is under repair, so will avoid that. Let me know if there are any alternatives to cross the ghats. Thanks in advance.
Hubli-Ankola remains as good as ever all the times. See BLR-Goa thread for latest details.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks