Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:51   #1
BHPian

Help me decide - a place 600 km from Mumbai for 10th - 12th April weekend.

I am wanting to drive out in Iceberg on the long weekend starting 10th April. Shall be taking my two little daughters (5.5 yrs and 2 yrs) and wife along. The plan is to start at 3 am and drive to a place such that we reach by lunch (1 pm). Should be able to cover close to 600 km in that much time. Stay there till Sunday morning. Start after having brunch by around 11 am. Reach home by 9 pm.

Don't plan to spend too much on stay (my budget is Rs 1500 - 2000 per night). Would love if the place has a swimming pool. My daughters are water babies.

Please guide on which place should we head to. Need to make bookings by tomorrow. Regular, off beat, completely unknown, suggestions for any kind of place are welcome. I personally prefer lesser known places.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:55   #2
BANNED

Malwan in the Konkan Area or Vengurla. Both are close by. Affordable. You wont get swimming pools but hey the whole of the Arabian Sea should be all yours. The beaches there are quite safe. Especially Vengurla.

Malwan Beach is crowded and a little dirty. But there are smaller places around where you can enjoy.

Try Tarkarli very close to Malwan, white sands and no crowds.

Only issue it will be very very HOT.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:05   #3
BHPian

Thanks Spitfire, the very hot part is scaring me. Most of India is very hot during this time of the year. But the beaches are hotter. Anything in central Maharashtra? or Gujarat maybe? Tarkarli is a good option, any hotels that you would recommend?
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

i will suggest AMBOLI.
this is hillstation near goa border.
you can travel there by expressway, nh4 and can easily reach for lunch.
it is hillstation with very less commercial activity in the market. so, no shopping.
try jrd international hotel , it may have swimming pool.

DUPLICATE POST: MODS, PLEASE DELETE THIS POST.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd April 2009 at 12:21.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I will suggest AMBOLI.
This is hillstation near goa border.
You can travel there by expressway, nh4 and can easily reach for lunch.
It is hillstation with very less commercial activity in the market. so, no shopping.
Try Jrd international hotel , it may have swimming pool.

EDIT; It has swimming pool.
phone no 02363-240223, 022-22675114

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd April 2009 at 12:28.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:22   #6
BHPian

Thanks Ashish. Shall check it out on the net. A hill station will be a good idea.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:42   #7
BHPian

FYI

Amboli Ghats are best to be visited after rains! The locals also advise the same.

It would be completely dry plain right now as last May we had visited and stayed at MTDC. Rooms were average thou not much of good food to eat also!

Also its near to GOA too
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
FYI

Amboli Ghats are best to be visited after rains! The locals also advise the same.
Also its near to GOA too
amboli is all season destination.
yes, it is best in monsoon, better in winter and good in summer.
at summer, one may not see any waterfalls, but dense forest around it make it cool place. it is also near to goa, just 80 km.
other options at this season may be mahabaleshwar which dushmish can do it any time, saputara is hillstation with very less facilities, all other beaches are humid and hot and i will not recommend it looking at his kids age.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:06   #9
BHPian

Thanks Rudrah. That was very valuable info. Most of Konkan should be done in rains of winters. It is difficult to decide on a place for April.

How about Gir? What say people?
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:28   #10
BHPian

@Ashish

Yes, Amboli ghat has lot of dense forest like view...Had a good time watching from the top over all the plateau regions in the sunset view! however if one is going for sightviewing and waterfalls then after rains are the best times to visit here!

@Dush

I'm also thinking to go on a weekend trips to konkan like Dive Agar which is 260kms from my place and nearby too however the scorchin heat refrains me to go to beach sides as i've a 1 year kid too!

I'll follow your thread thou...

i think i can start a new thread on ideal outings in Summer time..

Last edited by rudrah : 3rd April 2009 at 14:29.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:54   #11
BHPian

It may not fit in your budget but houseboats at Tarkarli are certainly worth a look. Tariff per room per night - starts from Rs 5500 which would include all meals and also no extra pay for the 2 children. Unlike houseboats at Dal Lake, these houseboats move, and the tariff also includes sightseeing from Devbag to Nerurpur in Karli river. Do check this link.

MAHARASHTRA TOURISM, The Official Website of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation, Govt. of India - BoatHouse

Have been planning it myself since a year, but could not execute it.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
It may not fit in your budget but houseboats at Tarkarli are certainly worth a look. Tariff per room per night - starts from Rs 5500 which would include all meals and also no extra pay for the 2 children. Unlike houseboats at Dal Lake, these houseboats move, and the tariff also includes sightseeing from Devbag to Nerurpur in Karli river. Do check this link.

MAHARASHTRA TOURISM, The Official Website of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation, Govt. of India - BoatHouse

Have been planning it myself since a year, but could not execute it.
Will it not be too hot at beaches in this period + load shedding?
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:27   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the link Dark Horizon. The house boats are a wonderful idea. Costly though. Two nights would be way beyond my budget. Kerela is more scenic for such house boats.

Still not found a place within 600km of Mumbai for the next weekend. HELP!
Old 4th April 2009, 12:05   #14
BHPian

Bhandardara would be a good option. Check out my travelog at Travel magic or http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...andardara.html
Old 4th April 2009, 13:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I am wanting to drive out in Iceberg on the long weekend starting 10th April. Shall be taking my two little daughters (5.5 yrs and 2 yrs) and wife along. The plan is to start at 3 am
Dushmish,
I feel that 3 am, will be a little harsh on your kids, wife & the most important is the driver YOU! I have seen many travelouges where people start very early for various reasons. I rather prefer to start in the morning not before 6am. My 2 kids are nearly the same age as yours. I prefer to let them sleep the normal hours like everyday rather than wake them early as 2 am in the morning as then they will not be as fresh for the travel.

Mods,
Please move this post if this is not the correct forum. thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks