Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Day Tripping in Mysore - Suggestion for What to do and where to stay

Hi Guys!

I am planning to take my family of 4 to Mysore this April 9th. We will drive down on April 9th or 10th morning to Mysore, spend a night there and return. What we have to do in the midst of this day - I am leaving open for you guys to make suggestions. Moreover, I would also like suggestion for a nice, decent place to stay at for the night. Nothing too extravagant considering the economic chaos.

I would definitely like to visit atleast 1 key religious place of worship for Hindu's to keep half my family at peace. I would also like to visit the Palace museum, and the Zoo to keep the other half from brawling.

I would also like suggestions for a great place to lunch, dinner, and breakfast the next morning. I would like to make this trip fun and different, as my family is visiting from SE Asia, and I would definitely like to show them a great time when here!

Please dont give me alternatives to Mysore - they want to do the Zoo + Palace thing, I need to figure out other things around this including lunch, dinner, and a place to stay.

Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:28   #2
BHPian

try the mysore sports club. its not expensive , its quiet , its old in a nice way , its on the rd which leads to lalitha mahal , used to be a lovely rd.. boulevard.

Last edited by siddartha : 3rd April 2009 at 13:30.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:29   #3
BHPian

Hotel Siddhartha is a good place to have food (they have an A/c hall as well). Fairly priced, good taste.

Their rooms are not that great though.

I suggest hotel Ginger for a night's stay.. An a/c room may cost around Rs. 2000 for a night.

Do visit Sangam (enroute from Bangalore), Chamundi hills and ranganathittu bird sanctuary.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
try the mysore sports club. its not expensive , its quiet , its old in a nice way , its on the rd which leads to lalitha mahal , used to be a lovely rd.. boulevard.
Thanks Sid. Mysore Sports club might be a good place to just put up for the night. I hope they allow people who dont have memberships to the club...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Hotel Siddhartha is a good place to have food (they have an A/c hall as well). Fairly priced, good taste.

Their rooms are not that great though.

I suggest hotel Ginger for a night's stay.. An a/c room may cost around Rs. 2000 for a night.

Do visit Sangam (enroute from Bangalore), Chamundi hills and ranganathittu bird sanctuary.
I would actually like a decent place to stay for the night. Would rather do food at boutique restaurants who are really known for the kind of food they serve. Any suggestions?

I will put down Sangam, Chamundi, and the Bird sanctuary and do a little more research on these points on the net.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you have some means of getting into the Infosys campus in mysore (friend/relative working there), that is a wonderful place!
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys!

I would definitely like to visit atleast 1 key religious place of worship for Hindu's to keep half my family at peace. I would also like to visit the Palace museum, and the Zoo to keep the other half from brawling.

Cheers!
For this, you could either opt for the Chamundi temple atop Chamundi hills in Mysore or the Nanjundeshwara Temple at Nanjangud which is 22kms away. Also consider the Ranganatha Swamy temple in Srirangapatna which is about 16kms from Mysore. For other imporatant temples in Mysore, check out this link....Famous Temples in Mysore - Popular Temples of Mysore - Hindu Temples Mysore Karnataka

@Jeep

Cost of a double room in Ginger is 1118 per day/night

Last edited by kannan666 : 3rd April 2009 at 13:49.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:07   #7
BHPian

For stay, check out Dasaprakash ... Mysore DasaPrakasha Group

They have two hotels. I have stayed at Paradise and that would be my first choice if I visit Mysore again.

Additional suggestions for places to visit:
- Sriranga pattana temple and cauvery river / bathing ghat behind the temple
- nimishamba temple (near Sriranga pattana)
- railway museum
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have heard dasprkash you get some excellet dosas?

Dont miss "Somnathpua"
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:46   #9
BHPian

venky , check what clubs in bangalore where you are a member are affiliated with the mysore spots club .
Old 7th April 2009, 19:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If you have some means of getting into the Infosys campus in mysore (friend/relative working there), that is a wonderful place!
Infy eh...man, I suddenly realise I hardly have any good contacts in these big ticket companies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
For this, you could either opt for the Chamundi temple atop Chamundi hills in Mysore or the Nanjundeshwara Temple at Nanjangud which is 22kms away. Also consider the Ranganatha Swamy temple in Srirangapatna which is about 16kms from Mysore. For other imporatant temples in Mysore, check out this link....Famous Temples in Mysore - Popular Temples of Mysore - Hindu Temples Mysore Karnataka

@Jeep

Cost of a double room in Ginger is 1118 per day/night
I am checking with Ginger hotels now...I will try to visit the places you mentioned - however, I might get a reprieve and escape from the temple visits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
For stay, check out Dasaprakash ... Mysore DasaPrakasha Group

They have two hotels. I have stayed at Paradise and that would be my first choice if I visit Mysore again.

Additional suggestions for places to visit:
- Sriranga pattana temple and cauvery river / bathing ghat behind the temple
- nimishamba temple (near Sriranga pattana)
- railway museum
I just got in touch with DasaPrakasha Group and here are the rates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Have heard dasprkash you get some excellet dosas?

Dont miss "Somnathpua"
Will keep an eye for the Dosas. Did you mean Somnathpura? Its a temple right? Considering my family is just getting back after a crazy temple trip these past few days, I am getting a good feeling that they would probably choose to avoid temples and hit discos instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
venky , check what clubs in bangalore where you are a member are affiliated with the mysore spots club .
I am a poor man. A poor cheap man. Hence I did not affiliate myself with any clubs. They are free to affiliate with me however
Old 8th April 2009, 00:30   #11
BHPian

Ginger hotels real VFM and you can book it online too.

regards,
-manju
Old 8th April 2009, 11:18   #12
BHPian

I've stayed at two places in Mysore and liked both:
Dasaprakash Paradise: For its location (Yadav-giri) and phenomenal view from the room. The hotel has some sort of 80s charm and I liked that. Stay warned, the restaurant is pure veg.
Royal Orchid Brindavan Gardens: Very nice place and location (overlooking brindavan gardens), but a little far off from the city and a little expensive as well. But the rooms are really nice.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 8th April 2009, 11:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Update! I have gone with Ginger. 999 + taxes which works out to 1038 all inclusive. Thats a steal. Though I would have preferred one of the clubs or something where rates are like 300 bucks a room. Still, cant complain.

Since temples are out, I have decided to do the Zoo + Mysore Palace + Railway Museum (if possible). I would prefer spending maximum time at the Zoo and thus will be my first stop.

The next morning, plan to get out of Mysore early and hit Kabini for lunch and a snooze. Should be relaxing!
Old 8th April 2009, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update! I have gone with Ginger. 999 + taxes which works out to 1038 all inclusive. Thats a steal. Though I would have preferred one of the clubs or something where rates are like 300 bucks a room. Still, cant complain.

Since temples are out, I have decided to do the Zoo + Mysore Palace + Railway Museum (if possible). I would prefer spending maximum time at the Zoo and thus will be my first stop.

The next morning, plan to get out of Mysore early and hit Kabini for lunch and a snooze. Should be relaxing!
Good choice ! Was there last month and rooms are really VFM ! They will collect another Rs.100/- from you at the hotel towards service tax ! Have a great trip !
Old 8th April 2009, 12:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I tried ginger on the web still quotes ~Rs.1550 for a double room. Are we supposed to call and book to get the discount rates.

There is a hayagriva temple near srirangapatna parakala mutt Hayagriva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does anyone knows the route to reach there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks