Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Ok, starting off early tomorrow morning. Hope to be out of the city by 4 AM. Riding alone - hopefully am well prepared.

Riding back on Sunday - 8th - same early start.

Wish me luck guys and will try and put up a travelogue once I am back.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:55   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ok, starting off early tomorrow morning. Hope to be out of the city by 4 AM. Riding alone - hopefully am well prepared.

Have a nice trip! Looking forward to your tavelogue!
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:

Safe trip and enjoy the ride , prepare a log if possible and post details later . Eat outs , places of stay etc .
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:55   #139
BHPian

Hope you have a good sleep tonight. Have a safe return and nice trip all along.
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:50   #140
BHPian

Good luck naveenroy. Drive safe. Eagerly await pics and travelogue. I plan to do this trip in August.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wishes guys! Started off from home at around 4:10 and was out of the Attibelle toll by around 4:30. Though the CBR lights are good, I wasn't too confident to ride hard in low light and so maintained speeds of around 70 - 80 kms upto Salem.

But after Salem, the roads are incredibly empty and I came across cars scarcely and only buses and lorries were on the road. But since the visibility is very good on this road, I pushed in good speeds and thankfully, the sky was a little overcast. So didn't feel the heat too much. Managed very good times after that and though I took around 6 short breaks or so, reached Kanyakumari at 1:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Have a nice trip! Looking forward to your tavelogue!
I wanted to maintain a proper travelogue but didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Safe trip and enjoy the ride , prepare a log if possible and post details later . Eat outs , places of stay etc .
Well, since it was a hard ride, I didn't stop at too many places. Just a longish break for breakfast and the rest were all rest stops. And well, my folks are in Nagercoil - which is 18 kms from Kanyakumari, so place of stay was my parent's house

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hope you have a good sleep tonight. Have a safe return and nice trip all along.
Thanks! Solid sleep. Was dead to the world for around 11 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Good luck naveenroy. Drive safe. Eagerly await pics and travelogue. I plan to do this trip in August.
Thanks! Sorry, no pics. But another info - roads are spectacular. I guess they have done some good patching work on previously bad stretches and I never faced any issue with the road! You'll love it on a car!
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:59   #142
BHPian

Good to know you enjoyed NH7. Are you back already? Guess you enjoyed the return ride too?
Is the stretch just before Madurai that connects to the Bye Pass completed? Last time it was still work in progress, in Dec 2011.

I'm driving out from Hosur to Kanyakumari tonight.. Planning to leave around 1AM or 2AM and beat the day's heat. It is really HOT these days.
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:15   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Good to know you enjoyed NH7. Are you back already? Guess you enjoyed the return ride too?
Is the stretch just before Madurai that connects to the Bye Pass completed? Last time it was still work in progress, in Dec 2011.

I'm driving out from Hosur to Kanyakumari tonight.. Planning to leave around 1AM or 2AM and beat the day's heat. It is really HOT these days.
Oh sorry, I thought I'd updated that I made the return journey on 8th. Started off at 4:30 and reached Electronic City at 2:30. Good ride back too. Yes, it was a smooth bye-pass at Madurai. When riding back, I'd actually crossed the bye-pass and then only realised that I had left Madurai behind Yes, insanely hot. And since you are starting so early, you can make some really good time. I made the distance of 640 kms or so in 9 hours. Drive safe and have a good trip.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:57   #144
BHPian

I did the Hosur - Kannyakumari - Hosur round trip over last 2 days.
On Wednesday, left Hosur at 1.15AM and reached destination at Panagudi (~610kms) at 8.15AM with 2 breaks totalling 15 minutes.
This was one of my best drives in terms of productivity - the 2 kids and wife were fast asleep until 6.30AM, enabling me to focus on covering distance.
There was good truck traffic until Salem, but they were all keeping good speeds - as they do normally at that time - so it didn't slow me down much. After Salem, there was hardly anything on the road except for an occasional truck or a bus. Passed Madurai at 6AM, and then the family woke up. After a nonstop 500kms, stopped for a bio break, and then a coffee break., and then another fast drive and reached Panagudi by 8.15AM.
I myself was surprised at the short time it took to cover that distance.. There was a time when I have taken 13 hours to cover the same stretch(before 4 lane highways) in my previous zen.

Return journey was yesterday afternoon. Left Tirunelveli at 2pm, was at Salem at 6pm. Bad timing to cross Salem at that hour - traffic was bad, spent 30 mins passing Salem.
Then rains started, slowing every one down - and reached Hosur by 8.45pm. This was again a non stop drive with just 1 quick bio-break. 7 hrs not bad for the timing and traffic & weather.
No, I didn't drive like mad, if that is how this sounds. As I said, this is one of my best timings. The Safari didn't blink an eye and just proved herself.

PS: When going south, the place where you get on to the Madurai bye-pass is still not done - I think it has been that way for years now with the bridge not completed. It is easy to miss the bye pass and get into Madurai if you're not careful. And for a couple of kilometers oncoming traffic will be in your lanes.
When coming from south to north, the sudden diversion a little before this juncture can take you by surprise if you dont know it is coming.

And, the toll booths - there are more toll booths now past Dindigul. And total one way toll was around Rs.450. So you've to keep around Rs.1,000 total for these toll booths both ways.

Last edited by verditer : 26th April 2012 at 10:04.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:30   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
I did the Hosur - Kannyakumari - Hosur round trip over last 2 days.
On Wednesday, left Hosur at 1.15AM and reached destination at Panagudi (~610kms) at 8.15AM with 2 breaks totalling 15 minutes.
This was one of my best drives in terms of productivity - the 2 kids and wife were fast asleep until 6.30AM, enabling me to focus on covering distance.
There was good truck traffic until Salem, but they were all keeping good speeds - as they do normally at that time - so it didn't slow me down much. After Salem, there was hardly anything on the road except for an occasional truck or a bus. Passed Madurai at 6AM, and then the family woke up. After a nonstop 500kms, stopped for a bio break, and then a coffee break., and then another fast drive and reached Panagudi by 8.15AM.
I myself was surprised at the short time it took to cover that distance.. There was a time when I have taken 13 hours to cover the same stretch(before 4 lane highways) in my previous zen.

Return journey was yesterday afternoon. Left Tirunelveli at 2pm, was at Salem at 6pm. Bad timing to cross Salem at that hour - traffic was bad, spent 30 mins passing Salem.
Then rains started, slowing every one down - and reached Hosur by 8.45pm. This was again a non stop drive with just 1 quick bio-break. 7 hrs not bad for the timing and traffic & weather.
No, I didn't drive like mad, if that is how this sounds. As I said, this is one of my best timings. The Safari didn't blink an eye and just proved herself.

PS: When going south, the place where you get on to the Madurai bye-pass is still not done - I think it has been that way for years now with the bridge not completed. It is easy to miss the bye pass and get into Madurai if you're not careful. And for a couple of kilometers oncoming traffic will be in your lanes.
When coming from south to north, the sudden diversion a little before this juncture can take you by surprise if you dont know it is coming.

And, the toll booths - there are more toll booths now past Dindigul. And total one way toll was around Rs.450. So you've to keep around Rs.1,000 total for these toll booths both ways.
Looks like you've had an awesome drive up and down.

And a hundred thousand apologies - when going down south, the bye-pass at Madurai is a pain cause it is still not done. I remember cause a huge truck was stuck there cause he was trying to go into Madurai and was taking that turn there.

When coming back from KK only, I didnt have any trouble missing Madurai. But yes, since there are no signboards, you might miss the road and drive into Madurai. Glad you made it without me giving you wrong directions!
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:07   #146
BHPian

My hometown is Nagercoil and so we do make the trip from Bangalore once in a while. The last time around, we started at 6AM and were in Tirunelveli by 1:30PM.

For the foodies on the board, if you leave Bangalore so that you can be in Dindigul for lunch, you got to try Velu Military Hotel. You need to get off the highway and wade into Dindigul for about 4kms. You can ask the localites and they'll point you to the right place. The mutton briyani is just the best.

If you've passed Dindigul and are near Virudhunagar for lunch, try Burma Kadai - Burma Hotel Pretty good stuff there too but a bit spicy.

Enjoy your drive!
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:59   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
For the foodies on the board, if you leave Bangalore so that you can be in Dindigul for lunch, you got to try Velu Military Hotel. You need to get off the highway and wade into Dindigul for about 4kms. You can ask the localites and they'll point you to the right place. The mutton briyani is just the best.
Hey can you point the location of this hotel in google map? I tried but couldn't find. Normally we used to start early morning 4:00 AM and reach nagercoil for lunch by 12-12:30. But would like to try this hotel.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

Hmm some people from Nagercoil here

Yeah, I've also wanted to eat at Dindigul. And they say that the "Thalapakattu" biryani is great here. Is that the place you have mentioned?
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:40   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
My hometown is Nagercoil and so we do make the trip from Bangalore once in a while. The last time around, we started at 6AM and were in Tirunelveli by 1:30PM.

For the foodies on the board, if you leave Bangalore so that you can be in Dindigul for lunch, you got to try Velu Military Hotel.
Are you referring Dindigul Venu Biriyani by any chance, that's the one which is famous there along with Thalapakatti.

Quote:
Hmm some people from Nagercoil here

Yeah, I've also wanted to eat at Dindigul. And they say that the "Thalapakattu" biryani is great here. Is that the place you have mentioned?
It is called Thalapakatti the fake one in Chennai is Thalapakattu.

For those interested in Biriyani in addition to Venu and Thalapakatti Dindigul has Ponram as well who serve amazing Biriyani and the best raitha I have ever had.
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:59   #150
BHPian

I think its called Velu Military Hotel and not Venu. Their briyani is not the typical Thalapakattu variety but a more moist variety. Love it! If I remember correctly, they were established in 1929 (the sign above the hotel says something like that)

I too am trying to find it in Google Maps but unable to do so. When you are driving from Salem and nearing Dindigul, there is a board that indicates that you need to take left to go into Dindigul (straight road continues on the highway). The road, once you turn left, goes past a petrol pump on your right, keep going straight until you hit a market-like area (road becomes narrower). You go about 1-2 kms through the narrow section, take a left at a police "umbrella" and then take another left into one of those little side streets. I can pretty much sniff my way into that place! haha.. but sorry, my directions are pathetic. Better to ask the locals there.

Most Viewed