Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 09:14   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Please also suggest place of stay in Kanyakumari

- If you are heading to Kanyakumari first, its end to end four lane. So no need to worry.
- Coming to Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram, I would suggest dont take the ECR.
- Drive back to Tirunelveli and take the Tuticorin road or direct road to Veppar (via Ottapidaram).
- Continue to Ramnad and there on to Rameshwaram.
- Rameshwaram-BLR: Is standard till Madurai. If you have no plans to get into Madurai, take left at the cross road where you see the Chennai 4-lane.
- Go along the ring road (Airport Road) till you hit Tirumangalam south of Sipcot. Thats where you hit the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 11:16   #242
BHPian

Ampere, thanks, let me also know if it advisabel to take own vehicle to Dhanishkodi or is it not? planning to visit as my Dad had visted as part of his school trip in 50s before it was washed away....
Old 5th August 2013, 14:11   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere, thanks, let me also know if it advisabel to take own vehicle to Dhanishkodi or is it not? planning to visit as my Dad had visted as part of his school trip in 50s before it was washed away....
No I wont recommend that. I would say hire a jeep from Rameshwaram all the way to Dhanushkodi and back. Because a considerable distance is on sand which would require 4 wheel drive.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:08   #244
BHPian

Please help me avoiding the major towns, any landmarks to look for deviations to avoid, as I have mentioned my main aim is 2 destinations Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram. I am supposed to avoid Madurai and Tirunelveli on both directions, so please help me to avoid them.

I also need to places for lunch around Salem, want to avoid AAB near Thopur Tool, it gone bad and also any lunch places nearer to Kanyakumari
Old 6th August 2013, 10:17   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please help me avoiding the major towns, any landmarks to look for deviations to avoid, as I have mentioned my main aim is 2 destinations Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram. I am supposed to avoid Madurai and Tirunelveli on both directions, so please help me to avoid them.

I also need to places for lunch around Salem, want to avoid AAB near Thopur Tool, it gone bad and also any lunch places nearer to Kanyakumari
- Nh7 bypasses all towns cleanly all the way till Kanyakumari. So you dont need to worry for that part
- Kanyakumari-Ramehwaram: The road will bypass Tuticorin
- Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari : Ring Road at Madurai which goes via Airport is the bypass which will take you to Tirumangalam (at SIPCOT). Its here you join the NH7 Madurai bypass.

On food :

Salem has Park Plaza and Grand Estacia. Both are very nice places for BF, but would be heavy on purse.

BTW on the other end of the spectrum, there is a also a Kamat in Salem along the 4-lane!
Old 6th August 2013, 11:10   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Going towards Kanyakumari, I think entry to Madurai bye-pass is still not done, so you may need to be little careful here. Around 15-20Kms before Madurai you will see oncoming traffic in your lane(2 lane) and at this point you will have to look for the entry to bye-pass(a right turn). Going straight will take you to Madurai.

While returning, this won't be an issue.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:35   #247
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore-Kanyakumari is straightforward - NH7 all the way. When nearing Madurai (Samayanallur) stay on the right to be on NH7 otherwise you will end up inside the town!

For Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram, I think it's better to take Tirunelveli-Tuticorin (NH7A) instead of ECR via Anjugramam. From Tuticorin you can take ECR to
Ramanathapuram and then NH49 to Rameshwaram via Pamban bridge.

For Rameshwaram-Bangalore, take NH49 from Rameshwaram, it reaches outskirts of Madurai from where you can turn onto the Airport Ring Road, go past the Airport turn off and merge with NH7 at Tirumangalam. From there it's NH7 all the way to Bangalore.

Food stops near Salem - you can stop at Rajabhojanam just after the Thoppur toll and AAB/A2B

You may find some more food/fuel stop options in my travelogue here
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 21:13   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Mcdonalds near shoolagiri opened 24 hours? Or any other joints in this stretch?
Also, any idea about GRT Salem. I am planning to do a early morning start(from bangalore) by 2:00 AM next week and hence would like to have this information.
Old 11th August 2013, 21:19   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Is the Mcdonalds near shoolagiri opened 24 hours? Or any other joints in this stretch?
I think Coffee day is 24x7. I saw it was open at 4:30 in the morning. I had a steaming coffee then ! Not sure about Mac.

Quote:
Also, any idea about GRT Salem. I am planning to do a early morning start(from bangalore) by 2:00 AM next week and hence would like to have this information.
GRT Salem is no more associated with GRT. But the hotel does function in an independent capacity. However BF counters open only at 7 AM. You also have park plaza about a km or two before (GRT) Salem.
No idea when it opens for BF. Going by the 3/4/5 star ratings of these hotels, I assume this guy also does not open before 7AM.

Last edited by ampere : 11th August 2013 at 21:20.
Old 11th August 2013, 21:41   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think Coffee day is 24x7. I saw it was open at 4:30 in the morning. I had a steaming coffee then ! Not sure about Mac.

GRT Salem is no more associated with GRT. But the hotel does function in an independent capacity. However BF counters open only at 7 AM. You also have park plaza about a km or two before (GRT) Salem.
No idea when it opens for BF. Going by the 3/4/5 star ratings of these hotels, I assume this guy also does not open before 7AM.
Thanks ampere!
Where exactly is the CCD? Is it near to Mac.

Yes, GRT is now Grand Estancia, I think. Last time when I went there the name GRT was removed.
Old 11th August 2013, 22:26   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere!
Where exactly is the CCD? Is it near to Mac.
CCD is in the complex as Mac. Its where you find hotel Krishna along with HP COCO bunk. It comes before A2B and after Kamat.
Old 11th August 2013, 23:04   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, GRT is now Grand Estancia, I think. Last time when I went there the name GRT was removed.
Sorry for back to back posts. I think both Park Plaza and Grand Estancia may have a 24x7 cafe. You should call them up and check.
Old 13th August 2013, 01:02   #253
BHPian

Planning the Bangalore to Nagercoil trip on Thursday(15th Aug) this week. Targeting an early start-around 0400-so that I reach home at around 1300 or 1400. Missus is packing the food, so the only stops will be for nature's calls and leg stretches. Hope the roads are good, as usual.
If there are any recent updates that I should watch out for, kindly let me know.
Old 13th August 2013, 09:33   #254
BHPian

Hi All,
I just returned on short but memorable trip to Kanyakumari and Rameswaram, in my T Fort.

Day 1 – Bangalore to Kanyakumari
Distance – 675 Kms (approx.)

Started at 5 am, from Basavanagudi, after taking the blessings of the almighty and childhood friend, Dodda Ganesha.
Took the elevated highway to Attibele, all the while fearing jams between Hosur and K’giri, the first jam was at the Hosur Check post, looks like the it is perennial problem, which may not be resolved at all, after this jam, surprisingly lost 10 minutes and did not encounter any till Kanyakumari!!!!. Passed by CCD, Mac, sorry did not notice if they were open, reached Salem by 7.45 am, despite all the advices from fellow bhpians, I landed at a restaurant Apoorva; it is on the main bifurcating circle of Salem, food was average but had no other choice, prices are higher than in Bangalore, so hit the highway at 8.30 am, passed by many towns and cities, was worried on the bypass of Madurai, surprisingly it was easy, crossed Madurai and Tirunelveli, we decided not to stop for lunch as it was an odd time, so finally reached Kanyakumari at 1.30 pm, which was amazing by my standards, my parents who had accompanied, heaved a sigh of relief, had done 675 kms in about 7.5 hours, an average of 90 km/h.
Checked in at Gopinivas Grand, there is no parking in this hotel and had to use a shared parking at different hotel, which was fine, but unfortunately, there is no orderly parking.
Had quick lunch at one of the Punjabi Dhabas nearby, food was good and headed to Vivekananda rock, not much of rush, but unfortunately 90% of them did not know what was there and who Vivekananda was, this gyan, I got by overhearing some of the conversations, which is not surprising with the political climate, where there is single family dominance. The authorities have tried and still trying to maintain it beautifully, but some of them who deliberately want dirty it by spitting and throwing things. The boat ride involves us to wear life vests, not sure if any of them have been cleaned since they were bought and highly unhygienic.
Once back from the boat ride, headed to the temple, to our luck, the temple was absolutely empty, took the blessings and headed back to the hotel, as it was cloudy, there was not clear sunset visible, so had an early dinner and retired.

Day 2
Day 1 – Kanyakumari to Rameswaram
Distance – 350Kms (approx.)

We woke up at 4.30 am as we were told the sunrise is at 5.30 am, rushed after bath, only to find that veil of clouds were hampering the vision, immediately realized to visit the temple again, here again it was empty, but got filled up in huge numbers on our way out as most of them rushed to the temple after the disappointment. Checked out of the hotel and had breakfast at Kanyakumari and headed to Rameswaram.
There are windmills of all sizes, here some working and other not, each one had a company’s name, not sure if they install and sell power to the Government or use it themselves.
Finally on the highway towards Tirunelveli and onto Rameswaram at 7.30 am, though my wife was guiding me correctly, used my poor sense of judgment and took a turn which mentioned Tuticorin, as had read of the confusion of NH 7A, this was a big mistake, but did not cost any, it took me on the SH 75 all through, the road surprisingly was 99% good, so finally reached legendary Pamban bridge, it is straight Rs.100, once you cross it Rs.50, fleeced, but no choice, reached the Hotel at 11.30 am, which is on the way in, checked in and the Front Desk informed that the temple is closed for the day as it was a day of rituals the main deity was away and would return late in the evening, so decided to anyway go near the temple, so we headed to the temple and parked in the Public Parking and headed near the temple, were informed that it would be open at 6pm, so as per plan we hired a Jeep to go to Dhanushkodi, which was disaster to the body but a spectacle to the mind and eyes, it was 3 hour round trip, reached back and had lunch, decided to head to the hotel and then return in the evening than loiter in the hot sun. Started from the hotel at 6pm, hired an auto as taking the T Fort would be stupidity, reached the temple and it was open, spent an hour inside had darshan and retired post dinner.

Day 3 – Rameswaram to Bangalore
Distance – 600 Kms (approx.)

Started at 6.30 am, had breakfast at Ramnathapuram and headed towards Madurai, it is 2 lane with no divider, tough drive with towns an buses, passed by Paramakudi, hometown of my favorite movie actor, reached the Airport crossing at Madurai outskirts and took the road to Airport, but instead of proceeding further, took a right, which took me into the city or not sure if that is the road, but it was bad, roads and traffic, somehow after a 45 minute tackling of Madurai traffic, hit the AH 43. It was almost nonstop to Bangalore a distance of 400+ kms in four and half hours, reached Bangalore ( Silk Board) at 3 pm, to reach home I took 30 minutes to cover 10 kms, anyways it ended well.

High speeds were the norm on most stretches, the roads were superb and traffic minimal

Last edited by Eddy : 15th August 2013 at 12:04. Reason: removed reference to speeding on public roads.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:37   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Planning the Bangalore to Nagercoil trip on Thursday(15th Aug) this week. Targeting an early start-around 0400-so that I reach home at around 1300 or 1400. Missus is packing the food, so the only stops will be for nature's calls and leg stretches. Hope the roads are good, as usual.
If there are any recent updates that I should watch out for, kindly let me know.
I am doing the same stretch tomorrow but will be starting little earlier, planning for a 2:00 AM start. Are you from Nagercoil?

Till Krishnagiri you may see some diversions after that its a bliss.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks