Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 16:33   #16
BHPian

Trip Details

Hello everyone,

I have just completed a trip from Bangalore to Kanyakumari, so thought of puting down the experience before something goes out of mind. Me and my wife after many friendly discussions with people I know decided I will still try to drive down to Kanyakumari and not take the train or bus route as suggested by many. The reason was that I was the only person to drive. Both of us had leave on 10th April. Hotel bookings were made in advance.Initially I planned to start by 7:30pm 0n 9th night but started at 9pm from Electronic City,Bangalore.

Bangalore - Hosur : It took 25 mins due to heavy local traffic.

Hosur - Krishnagiri : At 10:10 pm I reached the toll-plaza at krishnagiri. I convinced myself that I will not drive beyond 70km/ph as I have to drive about 650 kms.This streach was a driver's paradise.Great road,proper signs and less local traffic(that might be due to the time I choose).

Krishnagiri - Salem : Another streach of beautiful road,could stop myself increasing the speed. In between there was another toll plaza, for Krishnagiri to Thopper streach. Reached Salem at 12:05am. You don't have to enter Salem, on NH7 there will be sign to by-pass the city.I had planned to take a break at Salem but plan changed and continued.Took Namakkal bypass, from here I found those much discussed divertions, and in the night it became much harder as those trucks came high-beam on from opposite side.The work is still in progress and I think it will take another 6 months to complete the entire streach.

Salem - Namakkal : I reached here by 1:50am, and paid the price of not knowing to read Tamil, most of the signs were in Tamil, and end result, I took wrong route, SH 25 towards Trichy.When I discovered the milestone returned back and it was 2:35am, no shop or even fuel station open. Thanks to a truck driver, I returned to NH 7,and this streach was also full of divertions but when there were 4 lanes, they were long streaches.Didn't look at the watch when I crossed Dindigul.

Namakkal - Madurai : Its 5:15am, entered Madurai city and my 1st break@ 437km.A tea break and topping up fuel, then started from Madurai at 6:30am.This portion had a many divertions but all well marked.

Madurai - Kovilpatti : After Madurai, it started raining but lightly, and became bit heavy,speed came down to 40-50km/ph.

Kovilpatti - Tirunelvelli - Kanyakumari : Kept on driving, after crossing Tirunelvelli, again the sun came out but it took as much as 4:30hrs to reach here.But the road condition was better, I mean less divertions;reached Kanyakumari at 11:50am.Meter was at 668km.
On Sunday planned for an early start but it was 8:45am when we left Kanyakumari;

Kanyakumari - Madurai : The route was known and sun sining, left Kanyakumari at 8:45am, took a break at Kovilpatti, then kept on driving. Reached Madurai at 1:00pm. Kept looking for a place to have lunch, found Drive-Inn,the food was good.Had some rest and again started at 2:30pm.

Madurai - Karur :This section was a pleasure to drive, though there was traffic but the road condition was great.Managed a speed of 80km/ph, could have gone further but saw few accidents on the road so had to listen to my wife.Reached Karur at 5:00pm.

Karur - Salem : No stopping at Karur, kept driving before it gets too dark.Crossed 100km/ph few times.Before Salem the traffic started piling up.Reached Salem at 6:45pm.Took a snacks break and started at 7:15pm.

Salem - Bangalore : No stopping except toll-plazas. The trucks kept both the lanes bussy,as I was nearing Krishnagiri,8:50pm crossed Krishnagiri, reached home at Electronic City at 10:10pm.Reading was 649km.
Total Distance : It includes the wrong route I took from Namakkal, 1317km, fuel consumed 72 ltrs, with 90% AC on. FE - 18.29kmpl. Expected from Alto
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice post. I'll be doing Blr->Kanyakumari soon.

Don't you find night driving stressful ?
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good post.I have traveled Banglore Salem so many times before the four laning was complete never ever dream t that this stretch can be done in 3hrs.Eagerly waiting to do this stretch.
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:40   #19
Team-BHP Support

I cannot do more than 350-400 km a day. Also no night driving for me. One for this circuit can be start early and then break at Madurai.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:46   #20
BHPian

I usually do night drives. Currently I am in Kolkata, just did a 2062 km Bangalore to Kolkata in 32 hrs. One thing I have seen that in night you don't have to deal with the odd vehicles crossing the roads, traffic jams, route buses and many more.... and I have seen that trucks do take rest within 1am to 4am, if not all, many of them.So in night you can cover a bigger portion of your journey. But if someone is not comfortable with full night trip, I suggest don't do it. You can start early morning.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is the road lighting adequate for night driving on highways?

I once traveled on part of the GQ stretch at night and the only lighting was that from my own car, and other vehicles.

Most likely I'll take a break at madurai before going to Kanyakumari.

@asdon, Kudos to you on the Kolkata trip, I've dreamt of doing it someday.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 22nd September 2009 at 22:27.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is the road lighting adequate for night driving on highways?

I once traveled on part of the GQ stretch at night and the only lighting was that from my own car, and other vehicles.
You will not find normal street lights in NH 7, when approaching cities you will see some light but otherwise its your and other vehicles lights. I suggest you atleast have halogen bulbs if doing a night drive. Namakkal to Dindigul section is the most dark and empty zone on NH7, I was doing this portion arround 3am and I have no problem to say that I was afraid for sometime, not because the road was empty, but the concern was if there is a breakdown, I will not have access to anything. But then these are the trip which gives me thrills You can do it with a break at Madurai to avoid night drive. Madurai to Kannyakumari will be a driver's dream road with 95% of the 4 lanes are complete and the road quality is at its best.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Nice post. I'll be doing Blr->Kanyakumari soon.

Don't you find night driving stressful ?
This depends from person to person , i too find night driving less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
You will not find normal street lights in NH 7, when approaching cities you will see some light but otherwise its your and other vehicles lights. I suggest you atleast have halogen bulbs if doing a night drive. Namakkal to Dindigul section is the most dark and empty zone on NH7, I was doing this portion arround 3am and I have no problem to say that I was afraid for sometime, not because the road was empty, but the concern was if there is a breakdown, I will not have access to anything. But then these are the trip which gives me thrills You can do it with a break at Madurai to avoid night drive. Madurai to Kannyakumari will be a driver's dream road with 95% of the 4 lanes are complete and the road quality is at its best.
It is better to not depend on anything beyond your control to ensure safety of your driving. Including the lights.

probability of Breakdowns goes down drastically if you are doing preventive maintenance.

Yes , its gonna be a drivers dream , but the wait would be more than your anticipation IMHO
Old 7th October 2009, 15:58   #24
BHPian

What is the current status of NH7. My plan is to go to kodai. So info till kodai road should suffice. Heard that there are some speed-breakers in Omalur before Salem which is causing frequent accidents. Any body aware of this?
How much time will it take from Blr to Salem? I will be driving in the evening.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:03   #25
BHPian

NH7 should be in pretty good shape from the reports. The bad stretch when I drove nine months back was Namakkal - Dindigul. Lot of construction activity. But I hear that the stretch is complete. You wont have to go till Madurai but only upto Kodai Road.

Bangalore-Salem is absolute bliss. You can do it in 3 hours if you can keep your car at a safe 100-120 kph. There is a bypass to Salem as well.

If you are traveling in the evening and worried about Hosur road traffic, try the Sarjapur-attibele road.

Nainar
Old 7th October 2009, 22:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

The work from Salem Madurai through Namakkal is also mostly completed.
But from Salem to Dindigul till Kodai, not sure if you will find good eating places.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:04   #27
BHPian

you will not find many places to eat, better take food with you or take it in Salem. There are speed breakers before you enter Salem and there are signs to check speeds arround the curves, those who try to venture out get into trouble, before you enter Salem, in small ghat section you will find trucks going at very slow speed and sometimes blocking both lanes, don't break your head, have a safe journey, Namakkal to Dindigul is almost complete, watchout where you have divertions, the volvos from opposite side rush at small vehicles from other side.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:56   #28
BHPian

Thanks an*, am*, as*

I will be taking the attibele route. I will be staring in the evening, halt at salem. Next morning drive straight to kodai. How much will be Salem to kodai (time)? Also any decent places to stay in Salem (on the cheaper side).
Old 10th October 2009, 22:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

I myself was looking for one, for sometime in future. I found one near the 5 roads signal. Although costly (2.2K), but I thought was decent.

Take a look:
Hotel Cenneys

Another interesting thing that I found was that they have their own hotel management institute. Hence they should get their staff directly. A similar that I found in Trichy about the SRM Hotel. Hence I hope, it might be a pleasant place.

Hope this helps.

PS: I have never been to this place. Just found it through net.

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2009 at 22:28.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:21   #30
BHPian

Bangalore to Tirunelveli by road - Road condition as of Nov09

Dear Team BHPians, Did anybody travel from Bangalore to Tirunelveli by road recently. I want to know the road condition between Salem and Madurai and am more interested to know if the Madurai bypass road starting from Samayanallur and landing near Tirumangalam is complete. The last time I drove during April-2009, the bypass road was not complete and I got stuck in Madurai traffic for more than 2 hours.

I am planning to drive during last week of November and any inputs would help to plan my trip. Thanks all for your help.

Most Viewed