Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 11:53   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

For Kanyakumari, what all are the best stay options -

Vivekananda Kendra is booked out.
Checking at Hotel sea view, yet to get response.

Any other suggested hotels? Safe parking a priority.
Old 30th October 2017, 13:09   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Checkout Sparsa. Stayed there for 2 nights last month with family.
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 17:32   #438
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 3 that I know about and would suggest are:
1. Vivekananda Kendra (place is serene, laid back with a private access to the beach and they have a great veggie restaurant)
2. Sea View (stayed here during our trip, location is awesome very close to the boating/ferry point)
3. Sparsa (bit upmarket, not sure if its too expensive, close to Sea View on opposite side if I remember correctly)

Quick search on the Accommodation Thread and I found Shivas Residency being recommended, there may be others too, please look up that thread.
Here

Last edited by NPV : 30th October 2017 at 17:34.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 19:58   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hotel Tri Sea is also a good place to stay. I stayed in the same during my visit to Kanyakumari
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 16:20   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the recommendations, details as below -
Vivekananda Kendra - Full.
Hotel sea view- Full.
Sparsa - Was quoting ~6K, felt bit steep since its just for night stay.
Hotel Tri Sea- Checked, but didn't get any response.

Hence went ahead and booked at TTDC. Have seen mixed reviews of the place, especially on old rooms. However, has proper parking space and spacious rooms within budget. Hence went ahead and booked the same.

Another couple of query -
- As per my recollection, there was a COCO bunk (of IOC?) near to Kovilpatti. I am not able to find that on maps, was this just my imagination
- For Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram : I was thinking of taking SH 146 (Vattakotai - Kudamkulam - Tiruchendur - Thoothukudi byepass - Ramanathapuram route. I understand that the route through Tirunelvelli is more popular, apart from the advantage of 4 lane part is there any other reason for that. In other words, is SH 146 ECR condition still bad like it was some 8 years ago?
Old 31st October 2017, 16:54   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- As per my recollection, there was a COCO bunk (of IOC?) near to Kovilpatti. I am not able to find that on maps, was this just my imagination
- For Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram : I was thinking of taking SH 146 (Vattakotai - Kudamkulam - Tiruchendur - Thoothukudi byepass - Ramanathapuram route. I understand that the route through Tirunelvelli is more popular, apart from the advantage of 4 lane part is there any other reason for that. In other words, is SH 146 ECR condition still bad like it was some 8 years ago?
There is a BP COCO in Vadipatti (link) ahead of Madurai, its on the opposite direction. I've seen one more BP COCO in the Virudhunagar-Sattur stretch, can't find this on maps.

About Kanyakumari-Tiruchendur. The stretch is narrow 1-1.5 lane road, but wasnt bad. It used to be a disaster in the 80s, but it was doable in the 2000s.

Tiruchendur-Tuticorin was never a road that was maintained properly since my childhood. I've driven twice to Tiruchendur and taken the Tirunelveli route both times.

If you are doing Kanyakumari-Tuticorin via Tiruchendur, budget 3 hours to reach Tuticorin and do it in broad daylight. It will be a good 1 hour faster via Tirunelveli.

Facilities too are dismal except for the major towns. So be prepared for that too.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 17:49   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence went ahead and booked at TTDC. Have seen mixed reviews of the place, especially on old rooms. However, has proper parking space and spacious rooms within budget. Hence went ahead and booked the same.
My friend stayed here 2 weeks back in a double suit AC room and he said it was good and just walkable distance to sunset point and beach.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 19:05   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Locals are not recommending ECR. But in terms of road condition, your brute would be able to handle it, methinks. Scenery is good

Of course the fastest route remains KK-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-Ramanathapuram-Rameshwaram

By the way, when are you going?

Last edited by mallumowgli : 31st October 2017 at 19:06.
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 20:00   #444
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence went ahead and booked at TTDC. Have seen mixed reviews of the place, especially on old rooms. However, has proper parking space and spacious rooms within budget.
Yes, have heard and read about the place and found similar things.

Quote:
- As per my recollection, there was a COCO bunk (of IOC?) near to Kovilpatti.
Not sure, but do lookup my old travelgoue thread - I remember seeing/using a good BP bunk somewhere near the Capsi restaurant.

Quote:
I think the ECR stretch from Vattakottai will be good though I did not take it during my trip. However, Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Thoothukudi route has narrow and patchy roads, instead use NH 7A to go from Tirunelveli directly to Thoothukudi and then rejoin ECR from there to Ramanathapuram - that stretch of ECR was awesome

*Note:Both NH7A and Tiruchendur road share the same exit (after Nanguneri toll if I remember correctly).

Last edited by NPV : 31st October 2017 at 20:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 21:25   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Note:Both NH7A and Tiruchendur road share the same exit (after Nanguneri toll if I remember correctly).
Yes they do, the exits are on the Tirunelveli bypass. If you are travelling southbound Tuticorin NH7A turnoff comes first and then SH40 for Tiruchendur.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:32   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
My friend stayed here 2 weeks back in a double suit AC room and he said it was good and just walkable distance to sunset point and beach.
Thanks. Yes, that was what I too was looking for. Safe parking > Clean toilet > Near to sunset point, in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I've seen one more BP COCO in the Virudhunagar-Sattur stretch, can't find this on maps.
Thanks. Yes, I was searching for the same bunk. I am also unable to find the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure, but do lookup my old travelgoue thread - I remember seeing/using a good BP bunk somewhere near the Capsi restaurant.
I did check your travelogue, it too have a good BP bunk mentioned, will keep an eye for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Locals are not recommending ECR. But in terms of road condition, your brute would be able to handle it, methinks. Scenery is good

Quote:

About Kanyakumari-Tiruchendur. The stretch is narrow 1-1.5 lane road, but wasnt bad. It used to be a disaster in the 80s, but it was doable in the 2000s.

Tiruchendur-Tuticorin was never a road that was maintained properly since my childhood. I've driven twice to Tiruchendur and taken the Tirunelveli route both times.

If you are doing Kanyakumari-Tuticorin via Tiruchendur, budget 3 hours to reach Tuticorin and do it in broad daylight. It will be a good 1 hour faster via Tirunelveli.
Quote:
I think the ECR stretch from Vattakottai will be good though I did not take it during my trip. However, Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Thoothukudi route has narrow and patchy roads, instead use NH 7A to go from Tirunelveli directly to Thoothukudi and then rejoin ECR from there to Ramanathapuram - that stretch of ECR was awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes they do, the exits are on the Tirunelveli bypass. If you are travelling southbound Tuticorin NH7A turnoff comes first and then SH40 for Tiruchendur.
I am planning of driving down to Kanyakumari on Saturday and then proceeding to Rameshwaram on Sunday.

The plan was to take Kanyakumari - Vattakotai - Kudamkulam - Uvari - Tiruchendur - Thoothakudi - Ramanathapuram route to Rameshwaram.

However from your comments I make out that Tiruchendur - Thoothakudi route is patchy, If that is the case I will have to give Tiruchendur a miss and head to Rameshwaram via Tirunelveli - Thoothukudi.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:42   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The plan was to take Kanyakumari - Vattakotai - Kudamkulam - Uvari - Tiruchendur - Thoothakudi - Ramanathapuram route to Rameshwaram.

However from your comments I make out that Tiruchendur - Thoothakudi route is patchy, If that is the case I will have to give Tiruchendur a miss and head to Rameshwaram via Tirunelveli - Thoothukudi.
Below is the link showing my trip details to Kanyakumari and Rameswaram. I did try to cover most of the must see places in Kanyakumari. Hope this helps

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:46   #448
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If that is the case I will have to give Tiruchendur a miss and head to Rameshwaram via Tirunelveli - Thoothukudi.
Not to confuse you, but wanted to mention this nevertheless.

If you had a plan to visit the Tiruchendur temple or some other place in/near Tiruchendur, you can still take the SH 40, it is a scenic route with less traffic, also the Thamirabharani river crosses at couple of places if I remember correctly.

If you intend to only go from Tirunelveli to Thoothukudi, then there is no need to go via Tiruchendur SH 40 since the direct NH 7A route from Tirunelveli to Thoothukudi has better roads, hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd November 2017 at 15:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 00:34   #449
BHPian

This is a big downer now. I was also planning on taking the Kanyakumari - Tiruchendur - Thoothukudi road to go to Rameswaram. I will be on a motorcycle though.

Is the Kanyakumari - Tiruchendur road that bad? I was so hoping to make this a complete coastal route ride from Kanyakumari to Rameswaram and from there to Pondicherry.

Going through all the above posts makes it very clear that it's best to go via Tirunelveli instead of Tiruchendur, but is it because the roads are pot hole ridden and patchy or is it just that the roads are narrow?
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:40   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
This is a big downer now. I was also planning on taking the Kanyakumari - Tiruchendur - Thoothukudi road to go to Rameswaram. I will be on a motorcycle though.

Is the Kanyakumari - Tiruchendur road that bad? I was so hoping to make this a complete coastal route ride from Kanyakumari to Rameswaram and from there to Pondicherry.

Going through all the above posts makes it very clear that it's best to go via Tirunelveli instead of Tiruchendur, but is it because the roads are pot hole ridden and patchy or is it just that the roads are narrow?
It is not that bad to ignore this route. It is just about 10Kms which is in not so great condition. This route doesn't make much sense for people who are going towards Rameshwaram(with Tiruchendur not in their agenda) as the route via tirunelveli is a better option for them.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks