Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:38   #451
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Is the Kanyakumari - Tiruchendur road that bad?
No, it is not so bad - exactly why I responded to @mpksuhas on the post just prior to your post

Also, since you're on a motorbike, there is no reason to avoid it.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd November 2017 at 09:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 20:18   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

An intermediate update -

Took Kanyakumari - Kundamkulam - Uvari - Vijayanarayanm ( INS Kattaboman visit ) - Santhakulam - Meghnapuram - Paramankurichi - Tiruchendur - Mukkani - Toothukudi byepass - SH 49 - Vaippar - Sayalgudi - Ramanathapuram byepass - Danushkodi today.

As you can see, this is a circular route and is not exactly the same discussed. However, road conditions till Uvari was good to average apart from few bridge construction.

Between Tiruchendur and Toothukudi there are few diversion due to road construction. Past Toothukudi roads are great.

All together took around 9 hours from Kanyakumari including the said deviation, Tiruchendur temple visit and lunch stoppage.

Will put across a detailed trip details once back.
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 21:50   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
All together took around 9 hours from Kanyakumari including the said deviation, Tiruchendur temple visit and lunch stoppage.
Fantastic, timing is pretty good given the stops in between. How long did it take for your dharshan. In December it took us 1.5-2 hours, due to many Sabarimala pilgrims. Curious to know how long it takes in off season.
Old 4th December 2017, 17:55   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Curious to know how long it takes in off season.
Guess you are asking about Tirichendur temple.

There was a huge queue, it was long enough to extend till other side of temple. From outside the special darshan queues (Rs 250 ) looked empty.

However, decided to drop the plan to visit temple due to the rush. Roamed around for few minutes around temple and headed off.

Our visit was on a Sunday, that could be the reason for huge rush.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 07:57   #455
Team-BHP Support

I just hope with the power stations at Kudamkulam now being functional; brings in some focus on road construction around this region. It used to be very low on population decades back.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:59   #456
BHPian

Folks,

I am planning a big temple trip down south in Tamilnadu (ok, big by my standards, longest till date if it materialises):

Banglaore -> Madurai -> Rameswaram -> Thanjavur -> Bangalore.

I want to know the routes I should take for Rameswaram -> Thanjavur -> Bangalore leg of journey. I shall stay 1 or 2 days in Thanjavur. Also want to know good options for re-fuelling the car as well as the human beans travelling along.

Any interesting tit-bits about places to see along the way that I might miss except the usual suspects, is also very much welcome.

I beg pardon in advance, if this is not the right thread for this post.

-Pratim
Old 12th December 2017, 07:35   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
I want to know the routes I should take for Rameswaram -> Thanjavur -> Bangalore leg of journey. I shall stay 1 or 2 days in Thanjavur. Also want to know good options for re-fuelling the car as well as the human beans travelling along.
Rameshwaram-Tanjore: Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Karaikudi-Pudukottai-Tanjore (Max 5 hours)

Dont have any specific answers as to where you can re-fill.

Quote:
Any interesting tit-bits about places to see along the way that I might miss except the usual suspects, is also very much welcome.
With a slight deviation at Ramnad you can visit Thirupullani temple. Also you have Karaikudi on the way. You can see some of the mansions. (Look on some of the travelogues on Karaikudi. There are some on the forum.)
Old 12th December 2017, 12:02   #458
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Plans are on for a drive to Kanyakumari, as I have a few days off from Dec 29th to 1st Jan. Assuming we fly down to Bangalore on 29th morning, and then take the Figo to Kanyakumari, how many hours will it take? And how are the road conditions?

I don't think there's much to see at Kanyakumari for more than a day. So if we drive back on 31st, is there any place worth visiting? I do know Madurai has temples, and Kodai is not a big diversion from the NH7. Any pointers will be very helpful.

Note: We plan to fly to Bangalore from Hyd and return the same way, in order to save time and also because driving so much will be tedious to the family (not to me).
Old 12th December 2017, 12:20   #459
BHPian

Bangalore to Kanyakumari road is very good and you will need between 10 to 12 hours depending on your speed and stops. There is not much to see in Kanyakumari and one day should be sufficient. There are some lovely beaches, Kolachal for eg. , slightly north of Kanyakumari. Madurai is worth for the temple visit, it is very impressive. Visiting Danshkodi and Rameswaram will also be worth it. Now the new road to land's end at Danashkodi is open to the public, and it is a beautiful drive with sea on both sides. The Pamban bridge is also interesting.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 13:54   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
We plan to fly to Bangalore from Hyd and return the same way, in order to save time and also because driving so much will be tedious to the family (not to me).
It makes more sense to fly to say Madurai (IXM) and take a train (there are 2-3 day trains, you might have to look for availability)/take a taxi from there.

Though Trivandrum is the closest airport, but I wouldn't suggest due to the present condition of the road to Nagercoil.

Flying HYD-BLR makes no sense, since you'll reach faster by driving than flying.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 16:07   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do think of making a stop over at Karaikudi / Kanadukathan

Link
Old 12th December 2017, 16:17   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
There is not much to see in Kanyakumari and one day should be sufficient. There are some lovely beaches, Kolachal for eg. , slightly north of Kanyakumari.
You do have places to see in Kanyakumari. See the below travelogue of mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

Quote:
Folks,

I beg pardon in advance, if this is not the right thread for this post.

-Pratim
Between Pudukottai and Karaikudi we have the famous temple by name Thirumayam.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2017 at 00:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 12th December 2017, 20:34   #463
BHPian

Thank you so much Ampere, Suhash, Suresh for your replies.

I have few more questions on the routes etc. Pardon my ignorance. This is going to be my first big drive and I am excited as well as nervous. Also, language is an issue here.

1. Ampere, is this the route for Rameswaram to Tanjore you have mentioned? Google shows the following:
Route 536: Rameswaram -> Ramanathapuram (Ramnad?) -> Devipattinam -> Karaikudi -> Pudikkottai -> Tanjore

2. What will be the best route for Tanjore to Bangalore?
Google Map suggests following:
Tanjore --NH83--> Tiruchirapalli -->Cross Kaveri to go to Srirangam on other side --->take left---SH25-->Musiri -> Thottiyam -> Namakkal ---NH44--> Salem --NH44-->Bangalore

3. Are there local names for the towns/cities mentioned above that I should know?

4. Can you guys please suggest snacks/lunch option for Banlgaore to Madurai via NH44?

5. Also snacks/lunch option for Tanjore to Bangalore journey.

Thx
Pratim
Old 12th December 2017, 21:01   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Ampere, is this the route for Rameswaram to Tanjore you have mentioned? Google shows the following:
Route 536: Rameswaram -> Ramanathapuram (Ramnad?) -> Devipattinam -> Karaikudi -> Pudikkottai -> Tanjore
Yes that is the route.

Quote:
2. What will be the best route for Tanjore to Bangalore?
Google Map suggests following:
Tanjore --NH83--> Tiruchirapalli -->Cross Kaveri to go to Srirangam on other side --->take left---SH25-->Musiri -> Thottiyam -> Namakkal ---NH44--> Salem --NH44-->Bangalore
Tanjore-Trichy is 4-lane. From Trichy you can either go to Karur or Musiri or Thuraiyur. Easiest in terms of direction would be to go to Karur and take the 4-lane.

Quote:
3. Are there local names for the towns/cities mentioned above that I should know?
No that I know much on that front.

4. Can you guys please suggest snacks/lunch option for Banlgaore to Madurai via NH44?

Quote:
5. Also snacks/lunch option for Tanjore to Bangalore journey.
Once you come to Karur you are on the Bangalore-Kanyakumari 4-lane. You get the usual stops.
Old 13th December 2017, 13:59   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thx
Pratim
You have plenty of options till Salem and it reduces a bit beyond Salem. What time are you planning to start from Bangalore?

Most Viewed