Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 14:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
My inlaws' place is near Panagudi, which is on NH7 some 25kms before Kanyakumari. Myself and wife have made several trips in the years past on my trust 2005 Zen and the journey usually takes 12-13 hrs.
Last couple of years we were not in India, and we returned last month. We did this trip again over this past weekend as I was eager to check out the newly completed 4-laned NH7.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. The road is silky smooth, does not go through Dharmapuri, Madurai, Virudunagar etc as we used to in the old alignmnet., fenced where required, and close to zero traffic. We live at Hosur, and leaving at 3pm on Friday, I was there at their place by 12 midnight after may be an hour's stoppages.. 8hrs run time is truly incredible.
Returning on Sunday, we left at 7am, reached a relative's home in Tirunelveli in 30mins(earlier takes an hour or more), spent an hour breakfasting there, left at 8.30AM from Tirunelveli, and were at our home in Hosur at 4PM. Again, we did stop here and there, probably totalilng 30-45 mins. So run time is again little less than 8hrs.. I couldn't believe it myself, but it is true. Now we can make more frequent trips.
If I could do this in my puny Zen, I'm sure faster bigger cars could do it in 7hrs from Hosur to Kanyakumari!!!!!!!! Unbelieivable., and the open roads are quite safe if you are alert.

Suresh.
Good to know that you liked the new road, even I was surprised to do a Electronic City - Kanyakumari in 10 hr, with 80% complete road
Old 21st June 2010, 14:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post

Good to know that you liked the new road, even I was surprised to do a Electronic City - Kanyakumari in 10 hr, with 80% complete road
Check out the accidents section in our forum.There are reports of lots of accidents in this road now. Mainly because of TVS mopeds crossing very slowly across your path,when you are over 100.

Story of my accident on NH-7

My friend also had an accident last month and it cost him 1.8L on his new Hyundai i20. :(

His car rammed into the median and it damaged the car's front side,under the hood etc.

Definitely we can cruise on 120-150 KMPH on this road.But be careful on all gaps in dividers,cross roads etc.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 21st June 2010 at 15:00.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Check out the accidents section in our forum.There are reports of lots of accidents in this road now. Mainly because of TVS mopeds crossing very slowly across your path,when you are over 100.

My friend also had an accident last month and it cost him 1.8L on his new Hyundai i20. :(

His car rammed into the median and it damaged the car's front side,under the hood etc.

Definitely we can cruise on 120-150 KMPH on this road.But be careful on all gaps in dividers,cross roads etc.
I am sorry to know this, but really this will be the effect of careless driving, the road is good is not the excuse to drive fast, a good road gives less stress while driving(thats what counts on a long drive), why do you need to drive beyond 100kmph if its not a real emergency? the road is good enough to maintain a speed of 80kmph throughout, and if you do that, you reach Bangalore to kanyakumari in 7.5 hr, include 2 one hr break still its under 10hrs isn't that enough?
Old 21st June 2010, 15:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:

The above accident happened on NH 46, Krishnagiri - Chennai route.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
The above accident happened on NH 46, Krishnagiri - Chennai route.
Agree.But I hope you get the point.

This slow moving mopeds crossing roads very slow,against a fast moving vehicle is common scene all over TN.So highway number doesn't matter much.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
There is a GRT hotel on NH7 itself. One more resort owned by Azagiri has opened up in Tirumangalam, on nH7. Dont remember the name but they kept a stall at Forum mall, Bangalore advertising themselves.
Is this resort inside the Tirumangalam town? Or is it on the bypass road, on NH7?
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:53   #67
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, the Bangalore - Kanyakumari stretch is quite safe if we practise some basic caution. I agree that the two wheelers are a menace, so approaching any median-gap and populated area with caution helps definitely. Also I noticed that most of the towns in the route have exits instead of median gaps, which is a great thing.
And the vehicles coming against you in wrong direction is definitely a major threat, especially at blind curves - so it helps to look ahead always, and be extra alert at blind curves...

Suresh.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, the Bangalore - Kanyakumari stretch is quite safe if we practise some basic caution. I agree that the two wheelers are a menace, so approaching any median-gap and populated area with caution helps definitely. Also I noticed that most of the towns in the route have exits instead of median gaps, which is a great thing.
And the vehicles coming against you in wrong direction is definitely a major threat, especially at blind curves - so it helps to look ahead always, and be extra alert at blind curves...

Suresh.
+1 to that. Vehicles coming in the opposite direction is a menace all over the four laned highways not necessarily only in NH7. It is as if one the other is there na? What is the problem? It is present in NH4. Fortunately bulk of the road in Karnataka is away from villages. So, no such problem. But near Ranibennur, Kohlapur ( the infamous tractors ) section have this problem.

With NH7 the plus is the traffic is quiet sparse. If one is vigilant enough he will have space to maneuver if needed which is not the case with NH4. I have come face to face with tractors quiet a lot of times and once escaped by a whisker as this guy was coming in the opposite lane in the night 8:00pm without any lights. I was lucky there were no vehicles and I could swerve to my left to avoid a collision. Had there been a bus or truck, it would have been a disaster.

Nainar
Old 4th November 2010, 12:34   #69
BHPian

Did Hosur-Nagercoil-Hosur last weekend, and again driving out same route this weekend.

There are two places to watch out for, especially in dark: The railway overbridge just before Samayanallur after Vadipatti is in shambles(when going south), and the smooth NH suddenly gives way to very bad gutters and car-breakers - SO KEEP THIS IN MIND.

Similarly another small stretch exists somewhere near Virudunagar.. Both points to be kept in mind, or you might end up breaking a suspension or two.

Another spot to keep in mind is the THOPPUR GHAT CURVES. This spot is between Dharmapuri and Salem, and the Ghat section has few very sharp curves.. The spot used to be very dangerous with cars veering out of control at the sharp curve - now there are SPEED BREAKERS at the approach points when going south, and if you do not know these exist there, most likely you'll have to brake hard while at 90-100kmph, and the risk is getting rear ended.
Last weekend a beautifully Linea got rear ended by another car and both were arguing it out there.. SO KEEP THIS SPOT ALSO IN MIND.

Otherwise, a peaceful drive assured.

Last edited by verditer : 4th November 2010 at 12:37.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:29   #70
BHPian

Suresh, Thanks for the update. I did the Bangalore - Tuticorin - Bangalore last weekend as well. We had the extended weekend in Karnataka as Monday was a local holiday. Another important point to note after crossing Salem is that many two wheelers and even lorries, buses etc still ply from the opposite side of the 4 lane divided highway. Please be aware of this when driving and they can take you by surprise anytime.

I was following a ANHC from a safe distance who was also consistently doing speeds of 110~120kms / hr on the highway. He got a rude shock when a 2 wheeler suddenly appeared on a curve in the opposite side when he was overtaking a lorry. I saw him swerving to his left to avoid the 2 wheeler and barely missed colliding with the lorry. The gap was less than an inch. I slowed down on seeing this to 10kms an hour and was glad to see the ANHC coming out unscathed.

In the meantime, the 2-wheeler guy stopped in the middle of the road and looked back at the ANHC. He was commenting to his friend sitting on the rear seat as "Kannu Mannu theriyama ottikittu poran" (Translation - He is driving with blind eyes). The translation is not exactly the same. People knowing Tamil will understand the slang perfectly. On hearing this I stopped the car and had the urge to get down and give him a slap on his face. But my wife stopped me as we were travelling with two small kids and at an unknown place.

It is clear that those guys do not even realize what a huge life threatening mistake they are doing by driving on the wrong side of the road. So guys driving on the NH7 for the Diwali weekend, please take care and drive safely
Old 4th November 2010, 14:33   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Suresh, Thanks for the update. I did the Bangalore - Tuticorin - Bangalore last weekend as well. We had the extended weekend in Karnataka as Monday was a local holiday. Another important point to note after crossing Salem is that many two wheelers and even lorries, buses etc still ply from the opposite side of the 4 lane divided highway. Please be aware of this when driving and they can take you by surprise anytime.

I was following a ANHC from a safe distance who was also consistently doing speeds of 110~120kms / hr on the highway. He got a rude shock when a 2 wheeler suddenly appeared on a curve in the opposite side when he was overtaking a lorry. I saw him swerving to his left to avoid the 2 wheeler and barely missed colliding with the lorry. The gap was less than an inch. I slowed down on seeing this to 10kms an hour and was glad to see the ANHC coming out unscathed.

In the meantime, the 2-wheeler guy stopped in the middle of the road and looked back at the ANHC. He was commenting to his friend sitting on the rear seat as "Kannu Mannu theriyama ottikittu poran" (Translation - He is driving with blind eyes). The translation is not exactly the same. People knowing Tamil will understand the slang perfectly. On hearing this I stopped the car and had the urge to get down and give him a slap on his face. But my wife stopped me as we were travelling with two small kids and at an unknown place.

It is clear that those guys do not even realize what a huge life threatening mistake they are doing by driving on the wrong side of the road. So guys driving on the NH7 for the Diwali weekend, please take care and drive safely
I too experienced this on almost all my travels on NH7 (BLR-Madurai stretch) and mentioned about it in one my travelogues.

I think TBHPians has to take up the initiative to educate people,with the help of traffic authorities and NHAI officials at that area.Earlier when the road constructions and deviations were there, drivers were cautious and drove with utmost care.But now,as the road is fully ready, its real dangerous.
Old 4th November 2010, 22:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now there are SPEED BREAKERS at the approach points when going south, and if you do not know these exist there, most likely you'll have to brake hard while at 90-100kmph, and the risk is getting rear ended.
The speed breakers are clearly marked as 5/8, 6/8 etc. I usually cross this stretch at around 4am while heading southwards. Infact these are the only speed breakers on NH7 (on BLR-Nagercoil stretch) other than those at the toll gates.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend a beautifully Linea got rear ended by another car and both were arguing it out there.. SO KEEP THIS SPOT ALSO IN MIND.
This is very valid one.
I cross this stretch 2 times a month. I always see a rear ended accident in one of the speed breakers. Esp on the first 3. It is because people do not expect speed breakers and they are on high speed I guess.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hello everyone,

I have just completed a trip from Bangalore to Kanyakumari, so thought of puting down the experience before something goes out of mind. Me and my wife after many friendly discussions with people I know decided I will still try to drive down to Kanyakumari and not take the train or bus route as suggested by many. The reason was that I was the only person to drive. Both of us had leave on 10th April. Hotel bookings were made in advance.Initially I planned to start by 7:30pm 0n 9th night but started at 9pm from Electronic City,Bangalore.
, fuel consumed 72 ltrs, with 90% AC on. FE - 18.29kmpl. Expected from Alto
Hi Asdon, why dont you post a detailed travellogue on your trip, if you have already done it please let me know, I am also planning for a trip to Kanyakumari from Bangalore.

Last edited by xingamazon : 17th November 2010 at 16:01.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:02   #75
BHPian

I am driving out to Nagercoil tonight, and planning to take the Hosur - Rayakotta road which joins NH7 somewhere near Dharmapuri. Will save on weekend traffic as well as couple of toll booths.

Will update this thread with how good this stretch is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks