Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:07   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Kanyakumari NH7 : Route Queries

Hi All,

I am planing for a trip to kanyakumari from Bangalore on 9th April night arround 8pm from Electronic City. I need some update on the road condition,generary heard that NH7 is i good condition to drive, but there are few places I need to take by-pass like before Salem & Madurai.And road conditions from Maduari to Tirunalvelli. Any one travelled recently to this route please help me with your comments. the total distance is about 670km, I plan to do it in 12-13 hrs with two 30 min break.

Thanks,

Avijit
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Madurai to Tirunelveli - road is very good condition - update 10 days ago.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

HVK yesterdays update the Road is under construction and lot of diversions on this road, one needs to keep eyes on the diversion board.

Some part of the roads are in a bit bad condition with some pot holes.

The Road from BLR-Salem is in very good condition, the other parts of this road is good and under construction.

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd April 2009 at 18:48.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Recently I have traveled in this route upto kovilpatti and the roads were well laid (though not completed and marked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
HVK yesterdays update the Road is under construction and lot of diversions on this road, one needs to keep eyes on the diversion board.
Yes, there were lots of diversion. In certain places, you do not know whether to take left or continue driving in wrong direction. Be careful with this as I ended up driving in wrong direction for almost 3-5 kms at dusk. Scary with heavy vehicles at full speed

Last edited by Surprise : 3rd April 2009 at 19:27.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Recently I have traveled in this route and the roads till kovilpatti were well laid (though not completed and marked)

Yes, there were lots of diversion. In certain places, you do not know whether to take left or continue driving in wrong direction. Be careful with this as I ended up driving in wrong direction for almost 3-5 kms at dusk. Scary with heavy vehicles at full speed
Same happened with us, the roads in these places are very good and you never feel to take a diversion and continue on those stretches with full speed.

We atleast missed 2-3 diversions as in some cases there were no boards at all and we had to drive back.

We left at 7pm from Kanyakumari and reached Bangalore at 7am after having couple of tea breaks and dinner(2hrs).
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Some more info from Surprise who did the Madras-Kovilpatti drive:

"Roads were superbly laid for the complete stretch with few kms in between diverted to single road esp after crossing trichy towards Madurai. Marking are not yet complete and diversion are not marked clearly.

Also in a place, they have opened up the traffic, but failed to clear those boulders/stones & lying at the roads. Guess heavy vehicles have crushed few"
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:37   #7
BHPian

Route after Dindigul

Thanks Raghu,

Can you tell me, if I want to avoid entering Madurai City, can the road after Kodai Rd station from Dindigul to Madurai, which is SH73 will be a good idea

Avijit
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Same happened with us, the roads in these places are very good and you never feel to take a diversion and continue on those stretches with full speed.
If you have driven in this route, can you give some more updates on the road conditions between major towns? That would help many.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
This kind of road be alert for opposite side vehicle too. This Truck... all comes from opposite side.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Better avoid the route at night, diversions are pain to notice, and trucks come in opposite taking one by surprise. Leave early morn and you can catch the sun set at Kanyakumari with an enjoyable drive.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:09   #11

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of driving a bike from B'lore to Kanyakumari?
Old 4th April 2009, 10:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiraj2001 View Post
Can anyone comment on the feasibility of driving a bike from B'lore to Kanyakumari?
Hiraj, Feasibility depends on the driver or the biker !!

If you want to do it in bike you can do it (I assume you have adequeate experience and endurance to do such long distance biking, if not would suggest you to try 100-200km run first and then decide).

Abhi
Old 4th April 2009, 14:54   #13
BHPian

Bangalore to Kanyakumari:

Till Salem : No Problem. In Salem you need to take a right in the Second or Third Circle, i dont remember, if you miss that you will end travelling 100kms more which happened to us.

Salem to Madurai: Major part of the Road is under construction, if its night drive you need to be very careful cos all of sudden you can find an diversion.

Madurai to Tirunalveli: Roads are under construction but you can manage 100kms speed.

Tirunalveli to Kanyakumari: Roads almost complete without much of trouble you can travel.

All the places you dont have to enter the major cities, everywhere you will find the by-pass. If you are doing night driving, please be careful.

Happy journey. If any doubts please mail me / call me anytime.

regards
Deepak
Old 5th April 2009, 08:21   #14
BHPian

Salem to Madurai...the trouble zone!!!

Thanks Deepak for your comments.. yes it will be a night drive, I hope to start from Salem arround 00:30 am. I have travelled till Dindigul before so till that I have no issues. The main concern is before entering madurai, after Kodai Road Rly station, there is a road SH 73 going right.I heard and saw the maps that this road by-passes Madurai, which I want to do, but how is this road and if anyone has taken this one, how much is the streach before it joins again with NH7.The Streach is from Pallapati to Tirumangalam. Any news on this streach will be a great help.

Thanks,

Avijit
Old 13th April 2009, 08:40   #15
BHPian

Trip completed!!!

Hi guys,

I have just completed the trip to Kanyakumari from Bangalore, reached home Sunday(12th April) at 10:15pm. Started from Kanyakumari at 8:45am, took 2 hr break in between. Many thanks to everyone who has given inputs on the route. I will post a detail of my journey in a day.

Thanks,

Avijit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks