Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 23:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Nilgiris / Ooty Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please suggest on a better resort for couples in and around Ooty/Nilgiris. I am looking to gift 3-4 day package for newly weds.

Please advise!
Try Red Hills. Should suit your requirements perfectly. Else, you can also try Destiny farms. Both are very good, but the view in Red Hills is better, where as there are better activities in Destiny farms. Google their web pages for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskrishnan View Post
Hi

I plan to spend 15 days in Ooty this summer on vacation, and plan to explore off beat locales in Nilgiris. I would like to have views of the group on the following

1. Listing of offbeat locales like Avalanche, Top Slip [in Valaparai Range] around 50 to 100 kms around Ooty
2. I plan to stay close to Ooty, and I am looking for very good quality Guest Houses / Bungalows with garden with attached cook [I want to avoid Hotels & Resorts] around Ooty, Lovedale, Wellington, or in some of the Tea Gardens in Nilgiris.

Shall appreciate receiving suggestions from the group

regards

KRISHNAN
Are you driving down? In that case, there are a number of places in and around Ooty. On the way to Ooty via Coimbatore, there is a beautiful resort whose name I forget, but can try and find out in case you are interested. Kotagiri is another nice place. Do you know any IFS officers? TANTEA has some fabulous guest houses.
Old 13th June 2013, 21:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please suggest on a better resort for couples in and around Ooty/Nilgiris. I am looking to gift 3-4 day package for newly weds.

Please advise!
You may try Palve Sugavasam near Ramakrishna Puram. It is near the bus stop and railway station. Club Mahindra (Derby Green) and Sterling Fernhill is also good. (All located near the same area). From this area the city center is easily accessible.
Hotel Sinclairs on the Doddabetta road too is worth mentioning, though a tad expensive.

Regards,

Samish
Old 28th October 2013, 10:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

On my Ooty trips I usually stay at Lakeview. Affordable, quite close to town center (good for reaching shopping / eating places quickly). Also you get to park outside your "room" which is cottage-style. On the negative side, dont expect good food here - just eat outside.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 20:52   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Cluny Manor, Kings Cliff, Sherlock Resorts and others are also wonderful places to consider. High quality. Plenty of Finesse. Quiet, classy, stylish and ideal for newlyweds etc.
Old 16th September 2014, 05:24   #20
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

Planning a trip to Ooty next month. Will reach Coimbatoor by train in the afternoon of 24rd.
What are the options to reach Ooty from there?
How about public transport?
Request you for some budget hotel information for 3 days as well, as I will be running tight on finances due to marriage next mont.
Places of interest and tourist spots?

This will be my first trip to Ooty, hence request you to give me as many options as possible.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:19   #21
BHPian

One of my friends has suggested to book accommodation in Blue Hills International hotel. Has any one been to this hotel? How are the reviews? Help.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Planning a trip to Ooty next month. Will reach Coimbatoor by train in the afternoon of 24rd.
What are the options to reach Ooty from there?
How about public transport?
Request you for some budget hotel information for 3 days as well, as I will be running tight on finances due to marriage next mont.
Places of interest and tourist spots?

This will be my first trip to Ooty, hence request you to give me as many options as possible.
You can take the Niligiri Toy train from Coimbatore, it will be a nice experience I think the train leaves early morning at 6am.

For budget accommodation you can try the homestays like Devshola, but these are good if you are with a group otherwise other budget hotels are Hotel Maneck, Darshan, Astoria Residency, El Divino Holiday Homes
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 21:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
You can take the Niligiri Toy train from Coimbatore, it will be a nice experience I think the train leaves early morning at 6am.
Taking the toy train is impossible as my train from Hyderabad would reach Coimbatore only by 9.30 a.m.
Old 31st October 2014, 07:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
One of my friends has suggested to book accommodation in Blue Hills International hotel. Has any one been to this hotel? How are the reviews? Help.
Back from a beautiful trip to Ooty. Booked in Blue Hills International hotel which is in Hospital road, exactly 1km from the central bus stand. The rooms were
excellent which costed us only 1045\rs. per day.
Old 5th February 2015, 20:57   #25
BHPian

Re: From Bangalore to Ooty!

How is hotel Lake View at Ooty. Is it safe to stay with family. Or is there any other better options available?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rki2007 : 5th February 2015 at 20:58.
Old 9th February 2015, 06:44   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
How is hotel Lake View at Ooty. Is it safe to stay with family. Or is there any other better options available?
Lake View is decent. The cottages are spread out inside the property with nice little asphalted lanes and you can park your car almost outside the door
Service is slow when crowds are more. When going from Bangalore, you can get to Lake View almost as soon as you enter Ooty without going inside the town.
Of course, there are several options at Ooty, you can look at the Accommodations thread in the forum.

EDIT:@rki2007 - please post in the route queries thread. This one is a travelogue in Travelogues section and hence you're probably not getting quicker responses

Last edited by NPV : 9th February 2015 at 06:46.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 09:09   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Quoting my own post. Any advice/suggestions for the above query?
There are lots of options at Ooty, some places I know and have stayed at that are good are Hotel Charring Cross (near Botanical garden) or Deccan Park Resort and Bed & Breakfast places like CypressWood B&B.

Last edited by NPV : 9th February 2015 at 09:11.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:44   #28
BHPian

I recently visited Ooty and stayed at Hotel Lake View, West Lake Road. Few observations/pointers are below:

Pros:

1. Individual villa type stay option is really good and new at least to me.

2. Very well maintained property.

3. Food was good and the service was pretty quick. May be because it was off season or what, I don't know. But the Restaurant people were very prompt and food was delivered within 20-30 minutes on a consistent basis to the cottage. That is really nice.

4. Tariff is competitive and not exorbitant.

5. Car parking in front of the Cottage is a good idea. But remember this is not feasible with all the cottages.

6. Location of Hotel Lake View is good. Slightly far away from the hustle and bustle of the bus stands and other commercial establishments etc. The Ooty market/Charring Cross etc are located about 3 kms from Hotel Lake View which is good.

7. The water quality was super good. It is soft water.

8. Staffs are courteous and helpful.

Cons:

1. The room heater provided is average and inadequate for rapid heating. It takes a lot of time to heat the room. I can't imagine as to how difficult it would be during those chilling winter seasons. The additional cost of the room heater is Rs 300 + tax.

2. The deluxe cottages are pretty old and have a lot of power issues. Both room heater and Geyser will not work simultaneously. If you run both, the power will trip and it is big headache to get it back to work. The house keeping people don't inform this before hand. At the end it consumes a lot of your precious time to get things back to order.

3. The additional person bed is the worst thing that you can ever experience here. Basically it is a super hard diwan which is already present in the cottage which is converted into an additional person accommodation by just providing a pillow, blanket. Thats it.. The charge for this is Rs. 400+ tax. The size of the diwan is very small and will cause extreme body pain if one sleeps on it.

4. The TV provided in the cottage is pretty old gen TV and not the LCD types.

All the above is based on my stay at Deluxe cottage. Things may be different with other type of cottages which I have not explored. Overall a good experience. Worth staying in Hotel Lake View.

Last edited by rki2007 : 18th February 2015 at 18:49.
Old 1st July 2019, 18:27   #29
BHPian

Hi everyone. Will be travelling to ooty in mid july. Have currently zeroed in on Hotel lake view and Hotel Mayura sudarshan. Inclined towards Mayura as lakeview has mixed reviews.

Could anyone suggest options in a similar price range. We are a couple. Cottages with a view would be preferred.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks