Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 16:22   #1
BHPian

Trivandrum - Madurai

Hello All,

I am planning to travel with my family to Madurai from Trivandrum. The two possible routes mentioned in various threads are one through Thenmala- Schencottah while the other is through Nagercoil.

Though one of the Team-bhpian mentioned that the Schencottah route is quite pictureseque though a bit winding another thread mentions of the route to be non-existent (possibly because of the condition of the road). Travelling with family, I do not want to venture much into off-roading with an Alto and if the condition of the roads are so bad via Schencottah would rather take the Nagercoil route.

Is there anyone who has travelled to Madurai via the above mentioned routes and can any advice on what would be best route to reach Madurai without much off-roading.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th April 2009, 19:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
I am planning to travel with my family to Madurai from Trivandrum. The two possible routes mentioned in various threads are one through Thenmala- Schencottah while the other is through Nagercoil.
As of now the Shencottah road is closed as road work is going on. Expected to be open only after a couple of months.

The only short option is via Nagercoil. There is a longer route via Kumily.

I just did a Tirunelveli trip about a week back.
Old 9th April 2009, 22:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please do Trivandrum - Kaniyakumari - Madurai, the roads are very good and it is around 310kms, we did the Madurai - Kaniyakumari route which is a 4 lane NH7 and it is a very good road to travel for the family.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th April 2009 at 22:51.
Old 10th April 2009, 16:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Madurai-Virudhunagar: 43 kms
Virudhunagar - Sattur: 27 kms
Sattur to Kovilpatti: 23 kms
Kovilpatti to Thirunelveli: 60 kms (via Kayatharu, Sankar Nagar)
Thirunelveli to Nagercoil: 80 kms (via Vaddakuvalliyur, Panagudi, Aralvaimozhi)
Nagercoil to Trivandrum: 70 kms

Total kms: 303 kms

Source: TBHP search + MMI
Old 10th April 2009, 18:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Take the Nagarcoil route. Shencottah route is closed off for repairs. The roads are exceptionally good except for a few places. The 4 lane expressway begins at Nagarcoil. Do not take it in the night. Watch for sudden changes in road elevation where new tarmac begins and ends. If you hit those edges at high speeds... well, if you like your suspension and tires to last, you shouldn't. There are a few diversions, but I'd say the road is 80% complete.

I did TVM - Madurai - Ramanathapuram last month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks