Team-BHP - Delhi to Bangalore in Apr 2009
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Delhi to Bangalore in Apr 2009 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/56641-delhi-bangalore-apr-2009-a.html)

I recently shifted to Bangalore and I am now looking at driving my car from Delhi to Bangalore. What would be the best route and how long will I take to reach Bangalore from Delhi?

My car is a Baleno LXi and I would normally want to drive between 4am and 10pm and avoid night drives unless the roads are safe for night driving. Normally I do not have much problem driving 14-15 hours in a day with a few breaks thrown in between.. There would be two of us who will be doing the driving.

Is it possible to cover the delhi - bombay stretch in a single day? How long will that take?

Also I would want feedback on the road conditions from those who have driven on any segment on the delhi - bombay - pune - bangalore route recently.

BTW.. should I also consider the route via nagpur?

-- no1lives4ever

Search the forums, there has been exhaustive discussions on this subject. You can't do Delhi-Mumbai in one day. Very strenuous and not advisable at all. HVK's fastest has been 17 hrs from Bombay to Jaipur. Add another 3.5 hrs and you have nearly 21 hrs of driving.:)

You need to 2 nights and 3 days:

Day1: Delhi - Himmatnagar / Ahmedabad
Day2: Himmatnagar/Ahmedabad - Satara (Hotel Mahindra is very good on highway)
Day3: Satara - Bangalore

Day1/2 will be longer so you need to start really early (3AM/4AM). Better start at 3AM from Delhi.

Abhi

welcome bhai. Shoulda just mailed doc arn no? :p else shall I mail you his number?!

@GD ji - hvk's best is 17 hours total. Doc arn has done it in 19 on a bike only!!

I would say start such that you reach surat at a good time (ask arn). HVK can tell u the way to avoid getting stuck in mumbai traffic

Its totally doable easily. You can do Delhi-Surat, Surat-Bangalore. 1200kms each ways. Its safe ALL the way man.

BLR-BOM is good - someone on Indiahighways took 10.5 hours to CBD belapur from BLR proper.

PS: I am myself planning a south getaway from a long time - I was planning to reach kerala on the second day itself - u can do better among two drivers!
PPS: Why not a marathon - Delhi-Bangalore nonstop? :p Tirthankar is coming to Delhi soon - you may engage his services as well - he can then go back from blr-kol in another 31 hours !!

Lest you've your tail on fire, I would've done it at a leisure pace enjoying the beauties and scenic enroute. If you really are in such a tearing hurry, why not take a plane?

you might like to join arindam and gsminc who are doing the GQ and would be reaching Delhi and would be on their way to Bangalore.

I did a drive in the opposite direction in Feb :) - but I took time sightseeing at various places.

Here are some links. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eb-2009-a.html
Bangalore to New Delhi by Road (Feb 2009)

The roads are in pretty good shape ,except for a bit of construction in NH-8

I would suggest:
Day 1: Delhi -Udaipur (~800 Kms) NH-8
Day 2: Udaipur-Bombay NH-8 --> Construction around Baroda,Surat --> Jams NH8 ~(700 Kms)
Day 3: Bombay-Bangalore use NH-4 ....awesome expressway till Karnataka border after that from Hubli-Blore ...its not that great. (~1000 Kms)

I would suggest you break journey between Udaipur-Bombay and Bombay-Bangalore.... if you are the only driver.

So basically what I get is:
a. It would take me 3 days to do the journey unless I am trying to do some endurance/speed record attempt..
b. I should not consider taking the route via nagpur, as it would take me same ammount of time or perhaps be longer

So my current plan is to leave delhi as early as possible (target time being around 4am) and then stop for the night somewhere in betwween udaipur and surat. I know this much that I can very easily cover the distance till udaipur in a day w/o any problems. Day 2 night halt I would keep for bombay so that i can rest a bit, meet up with some frnds and then start early on day 3 from bombay and head for bangalore.

My normal method of driving on the highway is to get a rough idea of the route that will be taken to reach the destination and then to make a list of major points on the route. Then I typically just follow the road signs to reach the next town/crossing point. Is there any particullar road sign indicated route I should avoid on this route and take some other alternative route?

-- no1lives4ever

Yeah...that should be possible...
1.Be sure to use the Mahatma Gandhi Expressway between Ahmedabad and Baroda (its not the actual NH-8)....
2. Use the Bombay-Pune Expressway.
3. NH-4 in KA will take you much longer than in MH coz of the road conditions.
When approaching Blore,Tumkur Road is in a bad shape coz of construction work, and it might be a good idea to use NICE road and hit Mysore road and then enter Bangalore (NICE road would come perpendiuclar to Tumkur Road i.e NH4 , just after you cross TCIL etc ... around 40 Kms away from Bangalore).
It depends on where you need to go. If its South/South East Bangalore NICE road might be a good choice.

See HVK;s excel sheet from his GQ drive - its has well documented details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danish_c (Post 1260352)
Yeah...that should be possible...
1.Be sure to use the Mahatma Gandhi Expressway between Ahmedabad and Baroda (its not the actual NH-8)....

I Suppose this is the NE1.. Is there any indication around ahmedabad on how to take this route in place of the regular NH8?

Also to add to the list, to take the kishangarh expressway to go to udaipur in place of regular NH8 (this is NH76 or something similar, i suppose...)

Quote:

2. Use the Bombay-Pune Expressway.

Is there any problem driving fast on the Bombay-Pune expressway? Also any place on the expressway where I may need to be careful?

Quote:

3. NH-4 in KA will take you much longer than in MH coz of the road conditions.
When approaching Blore,Tumkur Road is in a bad shape coz of construction work, and it might be a good idea to use NICE road and hit Mysore road and then enter Bangalore (NICE road would come perpendiuclar to Tumkur Road i.e NH4 , just after you cross TCIL etc ... around 40 Kms away from Bangalore).
It depends on where you need to go. If its South/South East Bangalore NICE road might be a good choice.

I do not know what route we will use to enter bangalore, as the person who would be accompanying me lives in a pretty different part of town from me, But this does sound good..

Is there any portion of NICE road that is still under construction, which I may need to be careful about?

Quote:

See HVK;s excel sheet from his GQ drive - its has well documented details.

I guess I will need to study it a bit more.. HVK has used a lot of code words, but I agree, pretty comprehensive and very useful..

-- no1lives4ever

Quick update:

We did the trip in 2 days,
Day 1 - Sat 18th Apr 2009 - Start 4:15am from home in delhi to vapi at around 10:30pm.
Day 2 - Sun 19th Apr 2009 - Start 9:30am from vapi to bangalore at around 3:30am

I had typed a detailed road condition report here, but due to some reason, my browser took me a page back and that report is now gone.. I will type it outside this window and post it here in a while. I have also posted the mumbai-bangalore report on the bangalore to mumbai roadtrip thread. I will copy/paste the contents of that here once mods approve that message.

I also logged the locations of all toll plazas and some other imp locations along with time and odo readings. I will be putting up a excel file with the logs in a few days.

The biggest time killers we had on us were the toll plazas :-( I think we spent around an hour each day to cross all the toll plazas. At some toll plazas we did spend > 5 mins.

Another thing I noticed was that a large number of petrol pumps on the way did not have normal petrol. Most of them only had premium petrol :(

-- no1lives4ever

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1lives4ever (Post 1270674)
Quick update:

Day 1 - Sat 18th Apr 2009 - Start 4:15am from home in delhi to vapi at around 10:30pm.
Day 2 - Sun 19th Apr 2009 - Start 9:30am from vapi to bangalore at around 3:30am

Thats great Maan. Eager to see your travelogue / logs soon.

Abhi

So you did this trip in about 36 hrs... You really had your tail on fire..

Quote:

Quick update:

The biggest time killers we had on us were the toll plazas :-( I think we spent around an hour each day to cross all the toll plazas. At some toll plazas we did spend > 5 mins.

Another thing I noticed was that a large number of petrol pumps on the way did not have normal petrol. Most of them only had premium petrol :(

-- no1lives4ever

Wow! So, you did that distance in 36 hours? Eager to read the travelogue. I have been planning a drive to northern part of India from Bangalore and this is awesome.

Yes, Toll plazas are real killers. I think they have plazas every 70-80 kilometers and that takes away easily 1-5 minutes depending on the time. I dont understand why they cant have a one toll to be paid from starting point till destination, have a lane dedicated for such travellers.

And that is true as well. Highway petrol pumps dont sell normal petrol or diesel or accept cards. Always carry enough cash to buy fuel.

Nainar

Quote:

Quick update:

I had typed a detailed road condition report here, but due to some reason, my browser took me a page back and that report is now gone.. I will type it outside this window and post it here in a while. I have also posted the mumbai-bangalore report on the bangalore to mumbai roadtrip thread. I will copy/paste the contents of that here once mods approve that message.

I also logged the locations of all toll plazas and some other imp locations along with time and odo readings. I will be putting up a excel file with the logs in a few days.

-- no1lives4ever

Still waiting for the travelogue with the details, coz am planning a similar drive to bangalore. Please include the total fuel cost one way as well. Will give me a rough idea of how much cash to carry