Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 18:28   #166
BANNED

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Am talking about something like this.
I also have a similar thing - but my question is that the plug (at the top of the photo) should fit a European plug point.

Quote:
In Paris, the museum and attraction tickets are pretty expensive. I'd budget 100 bucks a day just for that. Heck even Metro Pass for Zone 1-3 is 38 bucks/adult. You can explore Paris Pass depending on how much you are planning to cover. Budget another 100-150 bucks for food (you might end up spending lesser, but just to be on the safer side).

In Rome, tickets are on much lower side. Probably you'd spend 50 bucks on tickets and another 50 on food. Metro Pass is 16.5 bucks/adult.

Florence is on par with Rome. Pisa was a day trip, transportation use was minimal in FLR and PSA.

All amounts I mention are for 2 people. We travelled Rome as 2.5 tickets and similar budget for Paris as well.
So overall, 2000 bucks for a 10 day trip for 2 people? And is the bucks here $ or Euro?
Old 28th June 2014, 18:46   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I also have a similar thing - but my question is that the plug (at the top of the photo) should fit a European plug point.
The normal two pin plugs you have here in India will fit fine in most of Europe. So for instance the iPhone charger and camera charger I bought here in India are just identical to the ones in regular use in most of Europe. With the exception of the UK.

The UK has a different three point plug/socket. You can actually get your normal two point India/European plug into a UK socket as well. You just need to push, say the tip of pencil, into the earth connect. Which is the middle flat one. It's also a safety protection. Once the plug is pulled out little protector rotate in from of the two pin openings. Mainly for child safety. They can't poke anything into the live socket But you push a pencil into the earth connection you simply push away that protection and you can safely insert your regular Indian (or European) plug.

I'm not so familiar with east and south east Europe. Easiest way is to check on their respective tourist sites. They usually list that sort of information.

The two plug shown in the photograph is as far as I can make out an USA plug and it won't fit anywhere in Europe or the UK for that matter. You need to get an adapter.

Jeroen
Old 28th June 2014, 18:51   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In Paris, the museum and attraction tickets are pretty expensive. I'd budget 100 bucks a day just for that. Heck even Metro Pass for Zone 1-3 is 38 bucks/adult. You can explore Paris Pass depending on how much you are planning to cover. Budget another 100-150 bucks for food (you might end up spending lesser, but just to be on the safer side).

In Rome, tickets are on much lower side. Probably you'd spend 50 bucks on tickets and another 50 on food. Metro Pass is 16.5 bucks/adult.

Florence is on par with Rome. Pisa was a day trip, transportation use was minimal in FLR and PSA.

All amounts I mention are for 2 people. We travelled Rome as 2.5 tickets and similar budget for Paris as well.
Quote:
So overall, 2000 bucks for a 10 day trip for 2 people? And is the bucks here $ or Euro?
Request. Especially in an international thread, please use actual currency names.

As far as I understand it, 'bucks' is a slang word for US Dollars. It has been emulated in India as slang for Rupees, which in itself is confusing.

Even common local slang can confuse. Would people who have never travelled there know that if I say fifty quid it is UK pounds?
Old 28th June 2014, 19:16   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The two plug shown in the photograph is as far as I can make out an USA plug and it won't fit anywhere in Europe or the UK for that matter. You need to get an adapter.
Jeroen
No, no. My pin doesn't look like that - I think what the OP was saying is that the USB charger consists of Plug and a USB charger.

This is what my charger's PIN looks like - http://imshopping.rediff.com/imgshop...htc-phones.jpg
Old 28th June 2014, 21:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All are in EUR not USD. Take about 2500 to be on the safer side, taxi and souvenirs, gifts might add some overhead.

Quote:
This is what my charger's PIN looks like - http://imshopping.rediff.com/imgshop...htc-phones.jpg
The European pin is actually slightly smaller than India. You should be able to find a travel charger where you get the different plug and play. Otherwise you might be able to find one in Paris, I found a similar charger myself in Frankfurt a year back.
Old 28th June 2014, 21:22   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, no. My pin doesn't look like that - I think what the OP was saying is that the USB charger consists of Plug and a USB charger.

That looks fine for Europe!
Old 29th June 2014, 04:54   #172
BHPian

Carboy

The budget of 2000 euros after your flight and accommodation is quite good for 2 people, a few pointers though , look for combined passes for attractions as they are mostly available in Europe , for example in Paris you can go for Paris Pass which gives you entry for most of the attractions such as Louvre Museum , Notre Dam Cathedral , Siene River Cruise , Hop on Hop off Tour bus to name a few , the pass costs 117 euros per adult for two days and also includes metro travel , available for 112 euros per adult if bought a bit in advance ( I think the offer is available till 30th June ) , most importantly the pass gives you priority entry at attractions which is a huge plus , you can earmark places whilst on the hop on and off bus and visit them at leisure as per your time considerations , please refer to www.parispass.com which gives detailed info , alternatively you can always get Paris Visite pass for your metro travel which are quite famous for tourists and is considerably cheaper than the normal metro pass , please note most of the tourist attractions are within zones 1-3 and you only have to take an additional ticket if you are going out of these zones which costs approximately 3.70 euros / adult , please check http://rtw-travel-guide.com/paris-metro-cost-2014/ for additional info on travel costs in Paris. Again in London you have combined tickets for most of the tourist attractions and they come highly recommended , when you land up in London please get an oyster card which is a touch in/ touch out card used at all train and tube (underground ) stations which will significantly reduce your journey costs , please note only Oyster cards will be accepted on London buses from 6/07/14 and cash will not be accepted , you can obtain oyster in any underground / train station or news agents shop which have a blue oyster sticker ( the stickers are quite large and you wont miss them ) for £3 fee , you then top up your oyster card as per your travel needs . If you need any further info regarding these 2 cities then please feel free to contact me , happy to pass my phone number if you require a point of reference for anything whilst in London, wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip.

Regards
Vickzkool
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 09:23   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
Carboy

The budget of 2000 euros after your flight and accommodation is quite good for 2 people,
Thank you.

How much of the 2000 Euro should I carry in cash and how much in Forex Cards?

Also, I assume I can use my International Credit Card for Swipe and International Debit Card for ATM withdrawal in case of an emergency. Is there hefty fees on these as compared to Forex Card?

Also is forex card from any bank better or cheaper than other?

Also, what about laundary facilities - do hotels in Italy, Paris (dropped plans for London) have laundromats like in the US?

Last edited by carboy : 29th June 2014 at 09:48.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:59   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Also, I assume I can use my International Credit Card for Swipe and International Debit Card for ATM withdrawal in case of an emergency. Is there hefty fees on these as compared to Forex Card?

Also is forex card from any bank better or cheaper than other?

Also, what about laundary facilities - do hotels in Italy, Paris (dropped plans for London) have laundromats like in the US?
I gather it is two of you travelling together , best advised to split about 300-400 euros cash between the both of you ( remember cash lost cannot be claimed back whilst most of the forex cards provide you with free blocking and replacement service ) and the rest on the forex card , also remember to get some part say about 100 euros in smaller currency denomination such as 5 and 10 euros which will be mighty useful as general folks in Europe hardly use the higher denominations , I have never used forex cards issued in India so cannot comment on which one is better , I'm sure in a competitive market like India you would get many options so just compare and contrast , just ensure that the card you finally go for is accepted widely across the major cities that you plan to visit . I would strongly advise that you keep the usage of debit and credit cards as the life saver option i.e. only in extreme emergency as there will be a decent chunk of fees added on every transaction and the exchange rates given is absolute poor value at the best of times, most of the decent hotels provide laundry services which are not so heavy on the pocket but you can always look for a laundrette nearby if you find them prohibitively expensive.
Old 29th June 2014, 14:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can take the majority in forex card in EUR, you can either withdraw from ATM or pay using the forex card itself (works like a credit card). ATM will charge 1.5-2 EUR as I mentioned earlier. If you spend from India credit cards the exchange rate is variable. I've avoided cash withdrawal from credit card, mostly used where I could directly swipe.

Quote:
Mostly Italian hotels don't have laundromats, there are private coin operated laundromats. But you got to be waiting for the laundry to be complete. I doubt you'll have time to spend on it on a tour like this.
Old 29th June 2014, 15:12   #176
Senior - BHPian

A word of caution : Try to withdraw cash from ATMs and use at outlets rather than swiping the forex card. Specially at smaller joints/shops.

My colleague recently did that and next day he found the card to be out of cash. He had 6000Euros the day before on the card. Happened in germany. Seeing his experience I preferred ATM withdrawls and using as much cash as possible. Forgery like this is rampant in Europe and sort of increasing by the day.

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th June 2014 at 15:14. Reason: spell-check
Old 30th June 2014, 10:14   #177
BANNED

Thanks everyone - couple of more questions - can Forex cards be used in any ATM?
Also what's the best place to buy Euros in cash before leaving India. I am currently thinking 1500 in forex cards and 500 in Cash.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:17   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks everyone - couple of more questions - can Forex cards be used in any ATM?
Also what's the best place to buy Euros in cash before leaving India. I am currently thinking 1500 in forex cards and 500 in Cash.
None.
Do not buy Forex cards or forex or whatever except for some cash for emergencies.

Use your credit card for payment and your regular debit card for cash(but mostly you never need cash)

Inter bank rate is always less than the rip off rates of buying forex.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:34   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
None.
Do not buy Forex cards or forex or whatever except for some cash for emergencies.

Use your credit card for payment and your regular debit card for cash(but mostly you never need cash)

Inter bank rate is always less than the rip off rates of buying forex.
Your advice seems contrary to every other advice given in this thread!!!
Also international ATM charges on my debit card are higher than that for my forex card.

Check this also - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/12896336.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/20979472.cms

Both say that conversion charges are higher with credit cards.

Last edited by carboy : 30th June 2014 at 10:40.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:59   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your advice seems contrary to every other advice given in this thread!!!
Also international ATM charges on my debit card are higher than that for my forex card.

Check this also - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/12896336.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/20979472.cms

Both say that conversion charges are higher with credit cards.
Whenever I have done an international purchase on my credit card, I have always seen that the bank selling rate is about 3-4% higher than what the credit card charged.

For cash withdrawal there is a fixed fees + some conversion extra charge(~3%) and if you are not withdrawing petty sums, it still works out cheaper.

Okay do this
Buy a forex card, On one day use your credit card to buy something and note down the charge on your statement. Just compare how much you pay.

Only thing forex cards protect you against is currency fluctuation(eg falling Rupee), but then, this very statement shows the stupidity of the article. You are not doing currency trading. You are going on a vacation. Currency up downs keep happening

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks