Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2018, 21:00   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you are on Vodafone you can ask the Vodafone service in India to activate a 10 day I Roam Free pack for you - it costs Rs 3500/- for ten days. Alternatively you can just activate it using your Vodafone app.
Or you can opt for a Rs 500 per day I ROAM FREE pack which becomes active only on any day that you use it. So if you use your phone while there on any given day, you will be charged 500. If you dont use your phone on any day, you will not be charged.
For Europe you get unlimited calls but only 3GB of data for the 10 days period.
Thanks for the info.

I already had the 500 plan. However, got it deactivated and got the 2500 for 7days plan. It has everything unlimited - calls, Internet, everything.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 29th December 2018, 08:36   #617
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Guys, need some advice on Greece and Italy.
I have already booked a trip to Italy for 8N/9D covering Rome, Venice and Tuscany area including Siena, Florence, San Gimignano.

SInce I am planning to take a 2-week holiday, I have 2 options.
1> Extend the stay in Italy and cover the Southern coastline - Naples, Amalfi, Capri etc along with Sicily/Pompei

2> Fly from Rome to Greece and spend time in SAantorini/Athens.

After some research, I am tempted to take the 2nd option as the coastal island of Greece look amazingly beautiful and out of the world. Also, Athens and surroundings have so much ancient history.

Let me know what you guys think.
Also, if going for Greece, please suggest an itinerary. I am thinking 3 nights in Santorini and 3 nights in Athens including 1-day trip to Delphi
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:33   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Turkey - self drive car rental

- Any pointers for reliable car rentals in Turkey?
- Has anyone booked through turkey car

They are showing cheaper options, however it is an aggregator site.
Old 30th January 2019, 16:06   #619
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks, am travelling to Europe (Munich mostly, and Belgium/Netherlands as a second stop) next week on a business trip.

Will be having the weekend off, so requesting for few suggestions to spend some quality time.

From what I looked up, BMW Welt/Museum in Munich is an outright winner
There seem to some good reviews for the "English Garden" also. Is this worth visiting?

Any other places, that folks staying in/around Munich can suggest please?
Old 30th January 2019, 16:36   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Hi Folks, am travelling to Europe (Munich mostly, and Belgium/Netherlands as a second stop) next week on a business trip.

Will be having the weekend off, so requesting for few suggestions to spend some quality time.

There seem to some good reviews for the "English Garden" also. Is this worth visiting?

English Garden is very nice, but if the weather is snow or cold you may not enjoy. Also depends on what your interests are; there are some very good museums in Munich. Some places I have been to are
Marienplatz Square
Munich Residenz
Viktualienmarkt-
Hofbräuhaus - Most touristy place; best way to experience the local culture.
Try one of the walking tours
Asam Church

How many days do you have in Netherlands/ Belgium? Typically Amsterdam can be done in 1-2 days(without museums)
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:24   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
English Garden is very nice, but if the weather is snow or cold you may not enjoy
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Will check out the English Garden, time and weather permitting. It seems to be a humongous place to roam around.

Quote:
Also depends on what your interests are; there are some very good museums in Munich. Some places I have been to are
Marienplatz Square
Munich Residenz
Viktualienmarkt-
Hofbräuhaus - Most touristy place; best way to experience the local culture.
Try one of the walking tours
Asam Church
My general interests are about knowing more about the local culture, cuisines, architecture etc. So, all the places that you suggested probably fall into that category, thanks for calling them out .
Will try to visit as much as possible over the available weekend.

On a related note, would you know about the best possible way to travel around in Munich - is the public transport good enough (online reviews say so)? How do you get a local transport pass, covering bus + metro + train etc. if such a mechanism exists there?
I would be staying in a hotel around Friedrichshafener Strasse, if that rings any bell.

Quote:
How many days do you have in Netherlands/ Belgium? Typically Amsterdam can be done in 1-2 days(without museums)
Plans for Netherlands/Belgium are slightly fluid as of now and will get confirmed only by the turn of the week. But I would be there mostly on a weekday or so. That means anything to be visited only after office hours.
Old 31st January 2019, 13:24   #622
BHPian

Quote:

Hi. English garden is actually huge. Please check the weather before visiting though. You can definitely visit BMW Welt and museum. The olympic stadium is close to BMW Welt as well.

Hofbrauhaus is absolutely must. You can cover Marienplatz, Viktualienmarkt, English garden,Odeonsplatz etc on foot. It is all very close to each other. Also, you can visit Nymphenburg, Residenz (again walking distance from Marienplatz towards Odeonsplatz and English garden). If you are a science buff, the Deutsches Museum is a must visit (though needs a lot of time to see everything - whole day atleast). You can also visit Dachau concentration camp if time permits, though this will take half a day for sure.

One important thing to not miss is to head from the Viktualienmarkt to the Bugatti store. I just ran into it and to my surprise they had a Chiron over there. I will be putting up pictures in my travelogue (which is taking so much time btw).

As regards transportation, you can use the day tickets in Munich or if its a weekend go for the Bayern ticket. It will enable you to travel upto Salzburg or anywhere in the state of Bavaria for the day (all public transport included except ICE). If you want to roam within the city, the day tickets are the best bet.
AdiSolEn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 17:33   #623
BHPian

Quote:
On a related note, would you know about the best possible way to travel around in Munich - is the public transport good enough (online reviews say so)? How do you get a local transport pass, covering bus + metro + train etc. if such a mechanism exists there?
Most of the places are walking distance from each other. But you can always buy a day pass for the trams/metros/bus from the MVV for the zones you will be covering.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 16:12   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
Hi. English garden is actually huge. Please check the weather before visiting though. You can definitely visit BMW Welt and museum.
You can cover Marienplatz, Viktualienmarkt, English garden,Odeonsplatz etc on foot. It is all very close to each other. You can also visit Dachau concentration camp if time permits, though this will take half a day for sure.
Thanks mate for your suggestions.
I couldn't make it to the English Garden due to very inclement weather.
However, I could manage a quick visit to the BMW Museum and Welt, and spent some time at the Dachau Concentration camp (photologue in the assembly line ). Some good time spent at Marienplatz as well.

Quote:
As regards transportation, you can use the day tickets in Munich or if its a weekend go for the Bayern ticket. It will enable you to travel upto Salzburg or anywhere in the state of Bavaria for the day (all public transport included except ICE). If you want to roam within the city, the day tickets are the best bet.
Yes, I did buy the single-day ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Most of the places are walking distance from each other. But you can always buy a day pass for the trams/metros/bus from the MVV for the zones you will be covering.
Thanks for the tip. The MVV app/network is quite good actually for planning the various routes etc. in the city.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 15:13   #625
BHPian

Hello members,

My extended family of 10+ adults have zeroed in on an Europe Tour for the Summer of 2019.
We have opted for the package tour of SOTC, as they are "supposedly" best rated for Euro-tours .

Also, some of the family members are Jains by dietery preference. I'd be humbled if one could share any known/under-known Veg-friendly Indian restaurants for the following Locations. (Cheaper eats preferred than Fine Dining) :

1. London
2. Paris
3. Cham ( in Switzerland )
4. Innsbruck
5. Venice
6. Rome

This will help us in negotiating the hotel neighbourhood further on with the agent.

I am attaching the Google Drive link of the package : Euro Trip SOTC 2019

Looking for suggestions, as to what to do & see, AVOID and recommended eateries (Any cuisine). I understand that a lot of blogs are available on the internet, but I am unable to devour myself into research atm.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th March 2019, 12:02   #626
BHPian

Hi,

Do you have a confirmation on exactly which hotels you will be staying in? All the cities have quite a few Indian restaurants, so narrowing it based on location is necessary.

Once you have that, the best way is to Google based on map location. Then check TripAdvisor for reviews. If you still need help, let me know.

Generally, group tours include meals, so ideally you wouldn't need any additional restaurants I also think.

Thanks
Vikram
Old 15th March 2019, 16:07   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hi,

Do you have a confirmation on exactly which hotels you will be staying in? All the cities have quite a few Indian restaurants, so narrowing it based on location is necessary.
We had not confirmed the tour as we had been waiting for the election dates. This shall happen over this week, now that the dates are out.

I do understand there's many restaurants serving Indian fare. Any location / neighbourhood preferences where we should take the hotel for the respective cities? I'll negotiate with the agent accordingly.
Old 15th March 2019, 16:27   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

I do understand there's many restaurants serving Indian fare. Any location / neighbourhood preferences where we should take the hotel for the respective cities? I'll negotiate with the agent accordingly.
City centre or near tourist places would be ideal, but if it's a group tour then you wouldn't have that choice generally.
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:53   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
City centre or near tourist places would be ideal, but if it's a group tour then you wouldn't have that choice generally.
Yes. We're not being able to modify our Hotels, though we're willing to pay extra.

My father is keen on making treating this as a "drive-by" trip, ticking-off important places and wants to stick to the group tour.

So now I shall need suggestions on where to shop in London & Paris.
I am looking for deal / outlet store suggestions, where I can buy good brands at a cheaper rate, mostly apparel.

The only brand shops I'm entering is UniQlo and Nike.
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:59   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

So now I shall need suggestions on where to shop in London & Paris.
I am looking for deal / outlet store suggestions, where I can buy good brands at a cheaper rate, mostly apparel.

The only brand shops I'm entering is UniQlo and Nike.
Generally speaking Europe is not the place to shop ideally.. from a lesser price perspective.. US is much better.. you can check out Oxford St in London but again, not sure about it being inexpensive though.
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed