Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th July 2019, 15:58   #751
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
My least favourite country was Italy
FWIW, I didn't enjoy Venice & Pisa that much. But Rome & Vatican was out of the world. My favourite places in the World. The tour guide for the Vatican was a local - a history teacher kind of woman who was outstanding. Even walking around in the evenings in residential areas of Rome was an experience. Just enter any random/unknown local church (where there no tourists, but only local residents who have come to pray) and it's more beautiful than anything I have seen before.

Leaning Tower of Pisa was a wasted day. In Venice, traveling by their Vaperetto (it's their local public transport on water) was more enjoyable than gondola ride. Of course, I am not sure if you could travel by a Vaperetto in a group tour kind of setting.

Last edited by carboy : 13th July 2019 at 16:03.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2019, 16:28   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
FWIW, I didn't enjoy Venice & Pisa that much. But Rome & Vatican was out of the world. My favourite places in the World.
Rome/Vatican was definitely better than Venice and Pisa for me too. The guide in Rome was pretty knowledgeable and I could connect with the scenes I had read in The Bible during my schooldays. But, just that I didn't feel the same way about Italy as a country after visiting than before in my dreams.

I guess the major issue with us that happened was, the heatwave had struck whilst we were approaching Italy in 4th week of June. So the temperatures were hovering around 38-40 degrees for a major part of the day, draining all enthusiasm.
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2019, 19:49   #753
Senior - BHPian

I enjoyed Venice a lot. I did not take Gondola but we spent the evening getting lost in the narrow lanes of Venice and bar hopping. One of the most memorable nights in Europe for me. Also, the views from the top of the tower and the mosaics of St Marks Cathedral were great as well. Apart from that, I enjoyed Rome and Vatican a lot. Florence and Pisa was kind of waste for me. However, roaming around the countryside and small medieval towns in Tuscany, Umbira regions like - Montecatini, Orvieto, Sienna, Assisi, Sam Gimigano was the best part of my Italy trip covering vineyards, olive plantations, wine tasting sessions. I will probably go there once more to cover the Amalfi coast or the Italian lakes in the north.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote