Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th February 2020, 09:24   #766
BHPian

Default Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Hi guys,

I had planned to visit Italy May 2020, but due to the coranavirus news I am having second thoughts now. I have taken out travel insurance for VISA purpose (Bajaj Allianz) and it has one cancellation clause. Can someone help me with the conditions (based on their experience) in which we could claim the cancellation?
My flights are non-cancellable and I am not sure if the airlines will cancel those flights and provide me full refund.
I just looking for options to recover the money. I am yet to apply for VISA and holding off just because of this news.
Old 24th March 2020, 19:48   #767
BHPian

I had planned for a visitor to visit us in NL, flying out on 28th March.

With current condition and all airlines shutdown, the plan is obviously dropped for good.

However, I am struggling to get the travel insurance cancelled.

I know that since the risk will not come to exist (travel), the policy can be returned. However, the policy was bought online at policybazaar. THey acknowledged the receipt of request for cancellation. However, not heard anything beyond that.

The insurer is Religare.

Anyone with some advices please.
Old 24th March 2020, 20:07   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Can someone help me with the conditions (based on their experience) in which we could claim the cancellation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
However, I am struggling to get the travel insurance cancelled.
We were supposed to be in Italy this week! Of course we cancelled everything at the beginning of this month itself. Travel insurance was easy to cancel actually, Tata AIG, just sent them the request with details and they refunded the full amount. But we had bought directly from Tata AIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
My flights are non-cancellable and I am not sure if the airlines will cancel those flights and provide me full refund.
We booked Emirates, they said they will process the full refund, again no issues and again we booked directly with the airline.

The only parts of the trip where we are not getting a refund are the inter-city trains in Italy, the hostels we booked, and of course the visa processing fees. For the hostels, they say they can shift our booking to anywhere in 2020. But I don't think that's going to happen. Which is fair enough.

Last edited by am1m : 24th March 2020 at 20:13.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 02:43   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
We were supposed to be in Italy this week! Of course we cancelled everything at the beginning of this month itself. Travel insurance was easy to cancel actually, Tata AIG, just sent them the request with details and they refunded the full amount. But we had bought directly from Tata AIG.

We booked Emirates, they said they will process the full refund, again no issues and again we booked directly with the airline.

The only parts of the trip where we are not getting a refund are the inter-city trains in Italy, the hostels we booked, and of course the visa processing fees. For the hostels, they say they can shift our booking to anywhere in 2020. But I don't think that's going to happen. Which is fair enough.
Some progress now. Travel insurance is cancelled.

Now the next struggle is with airline. The airline issued booking with only Booking reference, asking to download ticket using My bookings menu. Now to cancel, I need 13 digit ticket number and every time I try, I get a message booking doesn't exist.

However all airlines (using more than 1) have mentioned on website not to bother cancelling in time. They would issue refund voucher instead of refund money. After 1 year if these vouchers couldnt be used, these can be exchanged for refund amount.

Thanks anyways
Old 26th March 2020, 12:24   #770
BHPian

Many of these airlines may not have sufficient money to fully refund against cancellation, instead offer refund voucher to be used against other bookings in future.
I am not surprised, if some of airlines even go bankrupt.

Most Viewed