Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 14:14   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

^^ Never been to Madrid, so can not compare. However I have felt its cheaper and options more in Frankfurt / Copenhagen / Amsterdam airports compared to Dubai. So guess Madrid will also be the same.
Unless you are specific about any brand check out once in any local hyper markets also, though it doesnt come under 'duty free' tag, have found few goods cheaper in big super market chains compared to duty free shops.

Regarding the money you need to carry, sorry not sure about the site. However just search for Spain tourism site and check in their FAQ's it should be there, also I feel the amount mentioned by your travel agent a bit high.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

Also, to buy some scotch...which port is better? Dubai or Madrid?
Buy the scotch in Dubai now they should have lots of offers like Buy 1 Get 1 free or buy 2 get 1 free.

Last time when i travelled from Dubai to Prague i picked up Jonie Walker(Buy 1 get 1 free) and Bushmills(Buy 2 get 1 free) so you have more offers in dubai

also i meant the Credit and Debit cards which are international(some doesnt work) so be careful in getting them.

and if you have time visit prague we can have a drink
Old 12th April 2012, 16:27   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Buy the scotch in Dubai now they should have lots of offers like Buy 1 Get 1 free or buy 2 get 1 free.

Last time when i travelled from Dubai to Prague i picked up Jonie Walker(Buy 1 get 1 free) and Bushmills(Buy 2 get 1 free) so you have more offers in dubai

also i meant the Credit and Debit cards which are international(some doesnt work) so be careful in getting them.

and if you have time visit prague we can have a drink
I wish I could visit. Tight schedule. But I might be coming to Amsterdam next month and have a few days free after work. So might meet up my friend in Prague and probably catch up for a drink or two with you.

And yeah...the flight have been changed to Bangalore-Paris-Madrid-Paris-Bangalore. So Dubai is out! (Good only it is. My GF had given me a list of things to buy from Dubai. )

I'm just taking some 1000 Euros in cash now for 5 days. I hope that should be good.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could visit. Tight schedule. But I might be coming to Amsterdam next month and have a few days free after work. So might meet up my friend in Prague and probably catch up for a drink or two with you.

And yeah...the flight have been changed to Bangalore-Paris-Madrid-Paris-Bangalore. So Dubai is out! (Good only it is. My GF had given me a list of things to buy from Dubai. )

I'm just taking some 1000 Euros in cash now for 5 days. I hope that should be good.

also on a lighter note please don't exchange the euros in the airport exchange.

they give very little money, so go out of airport and near your hotel you might see exchange center which would take no commission so get it exchanged there you might get bit higher than airport.

will pm you my no.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:43   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
also on a lighter note please don't exchange the euros in the airport exchange.

they give very little money, so go out of airport and near your hotel you might see exchange center which would take no commission so get it exchanged there you might get bit higher than airport.

will pm you my no.
Sure things. I was advised to do the same during my trip to Thailand and it was a good piece of advice. Saved a whole lot of money.

But tell me, why would I have to exchange any money? Their currency is Euro, right?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:46   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Sure things. I was advised to do the same during my trip to Thailand and it was a good piece of advice. Saved a whole lot of money.

But tell me, why would I have to exchange any money? Their currency is Euro, right?
i am not sure about the currency, but its on a lighter note so when ever you want to exhange. then it would be applicable.
Old 12th April 2012, 17:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Paris airport is good for your pocket, there is not much you can buy!
No exchange required, Spain & France both use Euros.

As for the airport itself, be careful:
- Transfer between terminals is not as simple as say Frankfurt or Dubai. So try to reach your gate a bit ahead of time.
- there are some people who act as deaf/ dumb and ask for donations. Do not fall for this trap. In fact it is mentioned at some places in the airport too.

If you have some time and have not been to Paris before, see if you can take a later connection during your return trip. If you are interested and this can be done, let me know if you want any tips on the city
Have a pleasant trip!

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th April 2012 at 17:46.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:04   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No exchange required, Spain & France both use Euros.

As for the airport itself, be careful:
- Transfer between terminals is not as simple as say Frankfurt or Dubai. So try to reach your gate a bit ahead of time.
- there are some people who act as deaf/ dumb and ask for donations. Do not fall for this trap. In fact it is mentioned at some places in the airport too.

If you have some time and have not been to Paris before, see if you can take a later connection during your return trip. If you are interested and this can be done, let me know if you want any tips on the city
Have a pleasant trip!
Thanks for all the tips! I've heard Madrid is quite a notorious city (courtesy wikitravels)

I can't take a later flight as I have to be back in India and attend some wedding. Hopefully I'll be in Europe again next month and this time around I'll include my holiday in too.
Old 12th April 2012, 18:30   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Hmm - I have been to Paris airport but long back (15 years back). At that time at least they had all the duty free shops just like other airports. What's changed now?
Old 13th April 2012, 06:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Hmm - I have been to Paris airport but long back (15 years back). At that time at least they had all the duty free shops just like other airports. What's changed now?
not much has changed at Paris perhaps, while a lot has changed in Dubai! No idea how it was 15 years ago though. Just that I found more variety and better offers in Dubai than in Paris.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

I will have to travel to Italy sometime in July and need help with Visa. I have been told that getting the Italy - Schengen Visa is difficult and traveldesk recommended that i get Belgium - Schengen Visa and then can travel to Italy.

On the net i read that one should apply for Schengen Visa for the country's consulate were one is expected to stay the longest. In that case applying for Schengen Visa in Belgium consulate will not help as i am only going to stay in Italy.

Anyone has any experience, in this regard?
Old 15th May 2013, 11:14   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
On the net i read that one should apply for Schengen Visa for the country's consulate were one is expected to stay the longest.
Schengen Visa need to be applied to the country where you have the invitation letter ( incase you are visiting many EU countries)

Cheers!
Old 15th May 2013, 11:28   #118
BHPian

Wanted to know if any fellow TBHPians has been to Amalfi Coast in Italy. I'm planning to go there in Oct 2013. Wanted to know how they went about their booking stay itinerary as Amalfi is an amalgamation of of 6 to 7 places and each has various vantage points, scene, restaurants, stay options etc. I also want to visit Pompeii. Also wanted to know if Naples and Amalfi can be clubbed to gather for a 10 day visit. Any feedback, suggestions would be most welcomed. Will be traveling with my family and a 1+ yrs daughter.

Await inputs from all.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:29   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
where you have the invitation letter
What if one is traveling as a tourist and there is no Invitation letter?
Old 15th May 2013, 11:32   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
What if one is traveling as a tourist and there is no Invitation letter?
Then you need to have the visa of the country you would be visiting first.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks