Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 15:57   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
From UK flying to Vienna and drive around-flt to Paris onto Lourdes (fly)-Train to Milan-Train to Rome and fly back.-was dissuade from driving anywhere in Italy???
Arent you kind of wasting money here.
Where is your return flight booked from. Your itenary is sub optimal.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From UK flying to Vienna and drive around-flt to Paris onto Lourdes (fly)-Train to Milan-Train to Rome and fly back.-was dissuade from driving anywhere in Italy???
How about this if its not too late?
Eurostar from London to Paris.
Paris - Lourdes (TGV)
Lourdes - Milan - Rome (train)
Rome - Austria train/ drive
return from Vienna

Edit (just seen tsk1979's response): Ooh, yes I highly recommend the Black Forest. You can get into Bavaria from Salzburg and drive across the Lake Konstanz shores towards the Black Forest. Triberg/ Baden Baden/ Stuttgart are really beautiful. Moreover if you are interested you can also see Strasbourg on your way back to Paris. Now its more a choice of what to drop!
Now its a choice you have to make

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th December 2011 at 16:22.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 16:17   #93
Team-BHP Support

I second selfdrives suggestion.
If you are flying out of Paris

1. Train to Paris
2. Drive the alps, and drive back to paris through black forest.

You get to see Salzburg/Vienna, see the alps, drive the Autobahn and save a lot of train money
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 00:37   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

England in May...

Weather could be anything, from snow to a heatwave!

But is it supposed to be the beginning of summer. Or what Brit's call summer!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 16:04   #95
BHPian

Please explain how the rail passes work in Europe-for example I obtain a 4days/2months (validity) France/Italy pass-can I travel from Paris to Lourdes (1 Day), Then from Lourdes/Toulouse to Milan (2nd day) then use the third day from Milan to Pisa and 4th journey/day from Pisa to Rome?? as per today's cost its RS 14000+ for two for a 4 day/2 months validity which is pretty good??
Please advice. Thank you
Old 14th December 2011, 18:48   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please explain how the rail passes work in Europe-for example I obtain a 4days/2months (validity) France/Italy pass-can I travel from Paris to Lourdes (1 Day), Then from Lourdes/Toulouse to Milan (2nd day) then use the third day from Milan to Pisa and 4th journey/day from Pisa to Rome?? as per today's cost its RS 14000+ for two for a 4 day/2 months validity which is pretty good??
Please advice. Thank you
Be sure to read the fine print. Often there are special trains in some sections where you cannot use your pass.
Moreover, eurorail passes do not cover seat reservation, and you have to pay extra for that (10 EU/PP approx)
Some links for your reference
European Rail Travel

sometimes, you cannot reserve your seat till 1AM in the morning for a 7am train. Not fun to hang out at 1am to book your tickets.

So read all the fine print.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:48   #97
BHPian

Someone help me please.

I have to go to Madrid on a shoot for 3 days. Now my company's travel agent has asked for IT returns of last 3 years. Is it really required? On the visahq website, it doesn't mention that you need to sumbit your IT return. Neither does it mention the same in the Schengen Visa application form.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

For my Schengen, I gave only 1 years return, supported by letter form my company saying I am going on holidays, specifying the number of days the company has granted leave / on official travel.

As far as I know, many of my colleagues who cover global markets use this letter to get visas quickly, this ensures the person would come back to India or has valid reasons to come back.

AMR / T&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Someone help me please.
I have to go to Madrid on a shoot for 3 days. Now my company's travel agent has asked for IT returns of last 3 years. Is it really required? On the visahq website, it doesn't mention that you need to sumbit your IT return. Neither does it mention the same in the Schengen Visa application form.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd March 2012 at 17:24.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:33   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone help me please.

Yeah, I had to give the IT returns for 3 years for the Schengen as well when i had to travel a couple of years ago.
Edit: This was in addition to the letter I had given from my company that i would be going on a holiday.

Last edited by sammyboy : 23rd March 2012 at 17:34.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 11:44   #100
BHPian

Finally got my visa for Spain. Now what I need to know from you guys is how much cash (euro or dollars) should a person carry to spain as per norms? My travel agent is saying 3000 Euros (2.02 lakhs!).
Old 12th April 2012, 13:27   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got my visa for Spain. Now what I need to know from you guys is how much cash (euro or dollars) should a person carry to spain as per norms? My travel agent is saying 3000 Euros (2.02 lakhs!).

Hi,

If you are going there on a holiday, then you can carry around 500 euros, but ensure that you have international debit cards/ Credit cards which might solve the problem.

at the Port of entry they would not ask any thing about the money to carry.

even when we went on business visits to Europe we hardly carried 200 euros in cash & 500 Euros in card.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi,

If you are going there on a holiday, then you can carry around 500 euros, but ensure that you have international debit cards/ Credit cards which might solve the problem.

at the Port of entry they would not ask any thing about the money to carry.

even when we went on business visits to Europe we hardly carried 200 euros in cash & 500 Euros in card.
Thanks. This is a business visit. And now my travel agent is saying I need to carry 2000 Euros.

Also, when you say card...do you mean traveller's cheque or credit card?
Old 12th April 2012, 13:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. This is a business visit. And now my travel agent is saying I need to carry 2000 Euros.

Also, when you say card...do you mean traveller's cheque or credit card?
It depends on who is paying for your accomodation. If you are paying for it yourself, then you need to have that much more amount with you. If your accomodation is paid for, do carry some letter/ bookings to prove that.
If asked at immigration (unlikely but possible), be clear that you have cash and cards (as appropriate).

I think he intends to say debit or credit cards. Travelers cheques would not be included in cards category.
Have a great trip and bring back some pics for us here!

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th April 2012 at 13:39.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:56   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the accomodation (which I guess will be already booked and proof submitted for visa application) you need to carry cash to show that you have enough money for personal use during your stay.
Its not that they will ask you always (I was asked amount of cash Iam carrying once out of three times), however incase they ask you for showing proof have recepit / entry in last page of your passport done by forex agent.

The amount you need to carry changes based on the country you travelling to. For Denmark it was around 58 Euro or so per day. So if your travel for 10 days, you need to carry 580 Euros. You can get information about that on checking tourism website of the country you planning to visit.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It depends on who is paying for your accomodation. If you are paying for it yourself, then you need to have that much more amount with you. If your accomodation is paid for, do carry some letter/ bookings to prove that.
If asked at immigration (unlikely but possible), be clear that you have cash and cards (as appropriate).

I think he intends to say debit or credit cards. Travelers cheques would not be included in cards category.
Have a great trip and bring back some pics for us here!
Aah! Accomodation has been taken care of and I have a copy of that. I already had 500 euros, will ask my office people to arrange for some more. And yeah, I sure will get some pics of beauties (Read: Cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Apart from the accomodation (which I guess will be already booked and proof submitted for visa application) you need to carry cash to show that you have enough money for personal use during your stay.
Its not that they will ask you always (I was asked amount of cash Iam carrying once out of three times), however incase they ask you for showing proof have recepit / entry in last page of your passport done by forex agent.

The amount you need to carry changes based on the country you travelling to. For Denmark it was around 58 Euro or so per day. So if your travel for 10 days, you need to carry 580 Euros. You can get information about that on checking tourism website of the country you planning to visit.
Where can i find out how much money is good for a day in Madrid?

Also, to buy some scotch...which port is better? Dubai or Madrid?

Most Viewed