Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 02:33   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

For Czech, I found the same as tsk. They don't deal via VFS, you have to apply via the consulate. Apart from application you need the following:

1. Confirmed return tickets.
2. Hotel bookings.
3. Proof of employment of you and your wife
4. Bank statements
5. Foreign exchange
6. Travel insurance (can be done online).

You really don't need agents, all these can very well be done yourself. Generally if you have a confirmed return ticket with strong proof of return (hence employment letter) and enough finances to sustain yourselves. You should breeze through.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Another update which is making this complicated. Spoke to two of the Visa agents and as per both of them there have been cases where the Embassy was not convinced with the in and out entry timings due to car rentals and visa was rejected.

Both suggested that its better to book a flight/train from Prague to Switzerland (since my entry to Switzerland is via rental car) and then cancel it once the Visa is approved. I'm not sure how much would be cancellation charges though.

Getting work done through a Visa agent is better for me as I don't really have the time to visit embassies but if it makes sense to go to Czech Republic myself as I might be able to explain my plan better then I can. Do those guys really speak to you after you've submitted the documents or give approval/rejection based on documents only?

Suggestions? Or maybe contact details of reputed Visa agents in Delhi.

EDIT: @narayans80: Just saw your post, Czech Republic seems like the way out here but confused due to what Visa agents are telling me.

Last edited by fine69 : 14th July 2015 at 13:46.
Old 14th July 2015, 14:02   #258
Team-BHP Support

There are certain train tickets which are expensive but offer almost free cancellation. Book those and they apply for Swiss visa.
You can show train tickets and hotel bookings.
Once Visa comes, cancel train tickets.

This way you just have to to go VFS office, that's it
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 14:16   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Both suggested that its better to book a flight/train from Prague to Switzerland (since my entry to Switzerland is via rental car) and then cancel it once the Visa is approved. I'm not sure how much would be cancellation charges though.
Hi

Please use the below website of rail Europe to book tickets all across Europe.

http://www.raileurope-world.com/?cmp...FdHItAodsgQESw

I have used this in the past to book and cancel the tickets. Cancellation is not very expensive.
If you are planning to do the special Panoramic trains in Swiss, this website cannot be used.

Enjoy the up-coming trip
Renjith_Mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 17:45   #260
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, I am planning a road trip in Europe from 6th Oct to 13th Oct, starting and ending at Amsterdam. What would be the most optimal route in terms of seeing the best possible of Europe and in the least amount of money?

Is Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Zurich - Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam - a good choice to explore over 6 days?

or is exploring a single country or at max 2 a better choice? - say Amsterdam - Rotterdam - Dusseldorf - Cologne - Dortmund - Amsterdam?
Old 14th July 2015, 17:56   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are certain train tickets which are expensive but offer almost free cancellation. Book those and they apply for Swiss visa.
Unable to find any options that offer free cancellation, a little help please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Please use the below website of rail Europe to book tickets all across Europe.

http://www.raileurope-world.com/?cmp...FdHItAodsgQESw
Cancellation here ranges from 15% to 25% which is going to be a little heavy on the pocket.
Old 14th July 2015, 18:12   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unable to find any options that offer free cancellation, a little help please!

Cancellation here ranges from 15% to 25% which is going to be a little heavy on the pocket.
Try getting flexible fare
http://www.raileurope.com/rail-help/...explained.html

It will be more expensive, but will be almost free refund.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th July 2015 at 18:13.
Old 14th July 2015, 18:28   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Try getting flexible fare
http://www.raileurope.com/rail-help/...explained.html

It will be more expensive, but will be almost free refund.
I did read this page earlier. Most tickets didn't have the % refund listed and Live Chat guy told me that refund was 80% or 85% in some cases.

E.g. I tried booking Prague to Zurich and the refund % in Flexi fare is 80%, which is a loss of 5k if I book and cancel.

EDIT: Zurich to Amsterdam is 75% refundable, definitely not my day to be booking train tickets!

EDIT 2: How about I simply book hotels for 10 days in Prague and book a train ticket from Prague to Amsterdam. Later on I cancel the train tickets and follow my original itinerary? This way I apply in Czech Embassy for Visa and all papers should be in order here.

Last edited by fine69 : 14th July 2015 at 18:44.
Old 14th July 2015, 20:49   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EDIT 2: How about I simply book hotels for 10 days in Prague and book a train ticket from Prague to Amsterdam. Later on I cancel the train tickets and follow my original itinerary? This way I apply in Czech Embassy for Visa and all papers should be in order here.
Even if you are 3 days in Prague, as long as its your first port of entry, its fine if you go to Czech embassy
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:52   #265
Senior - BHPian

Update: I've booked Bus tickets from Prague to Zurich, then from Zurich to Munich, a train from Munich to Amsterdam.

So based on the tickets the itinerary looks like I'll be in Czech Republic for the first 3 days, then catch a bus and go to Zurich, spend 8 days here, then catch a bus and reach Munich, spend 1 night here, then catch a train to Amsterdam and spend last 3 days there before returning back.

I've got all bus tickets, train and air tickets with me. Plan is to now go ahead based on these tickets. I've rebooked all hotels based on this plan and have confirmation from booking.com

Question:
The Visa isn't going to state which all countries I'd be visiting so would it be safe to modify my travel plan while I'm there? I mean I'd actually rent a car from Munich so its all safe I hope? As per the agent its safe and people do it all the time, what are you guys' thoughts?
Old 15th July 2015, 14:52   #266
Team-BHP Support

Yes, your visa is for entire Schengen area. So do not worry. Just go to VFS and they will do it for you if you are going for swiss visa, otherwise, go through agent to Czech republic embassy
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 21:57   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Visa isn't going to state which all countries I'd be visiting so would it be safe to modify my travel plan while I'm there? I mean I'd actually rent a car from Munich so its all safe I hope? As per the agent its safe and people do it all the time, what are you guys' thoughts?
Mostly all scrutiny happens at consulate, and to a very minor extent at Schengen passport control. Once you cross it, you are free to do whatever you like. You'll not even see passport control unless you have a flight out of Schengen region. The flight gates are assigned that way.

For Schengen, there is nothing much our travel agents can do. All work, like filling the application and all supporting documentation has to be done by you anyway. They are just looking to get some comission from the flight, hotel bookings et al. Agents are just one more layer of courier like VFS.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 22:06   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Agents are just one more layer of courier like VFS.
I didn't know this all along and I was also surprised why Tanveer was pushing me to go to VFS directly. Yesterday when I spoke to the Agent is when I realized that they would also present my documents to VFS only!

That was when I decided that I'll simply go to VFS directly as I'd be in a much better position to answer if they'd have any questions.
Old 17th July 2015, 00:34   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd be in a much better position to answer if they'd have any questions.
VFS too just does the front office work for the consulate. They verify if the documentation required by consulate are there according to a checklist like this. If you submit to VFS, you'll get the receipt number which you can verify the status online. If you submit by cutoff time (IIRC 1430 IST) your application will be at the consulate next business day morning. Decisions are swift, mostly the day your application reaches the consulate or at the most the day later.

If you are asked to come to the consulate, you sometimes get called up directly too. The passport too gets shipped to the address you specify at the time of applying.

Agents are just a layer of bureaucracy on top of this. They sit on your application, take time to pass on your information, take a day or 2 to pass on the passport returned from consulate.

VFS themselves are mostly clueless to consulate queries needless to say how useful agents are in that case.
Old 18th February 2016, 23:35   #270
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has done a Europe trip via Kesari Tours in the recent past? Was planning a 14day Europe trip in the month of May, its costing us less than 3lakh per person. Seems slightly hectic, not sure how my Mom is going to cope with all the travelling. This would be the first time we'll be going through a tour, before this we've travelled on our own. Below is the link to the itinerary.

http://www.kesari.in/tourIti/Group-T...BEST-OF-EUROPE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks