Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:23   #286
BHPian

re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Can someone tell me what is the realistic time frame for getting a Schenghen Visa (Swiss entry)?
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:42   #287
PPS
Senior - BHPian

What sort of weather can i expect in Europe in next 2 weeks? I am carrying 1 sweater & 1 jacket. I will spend 2 days in London, 3 days in Switzerland & 1 day each in Austria,Italy & a few other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Can someone tell me what is the realistic time frame for getting a Schenghen Visa (Swiss entry)?
I got mine in less than 12 days earlier this month.
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:47   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
What sort of weather can i expect in Europe in next 2 weeks? I am carrying 1 sweater & 1 jacket. I will spend 2 days in London, 3 days in Switzerland & 1 day each in Austria,Italy & a few other cities.

Expect Max. temperatures in Germany and Italy would be in mid 20's . A light jacket would suffice. Expect rain at times.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 20:14   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I am in a dilemma where I have a fixed window of leaves (4 weeks) and I am contemplating travelling to Switzerland for a week in the 4 weeks I get.

Should I take a chance and go for the holiday or is the time-frame too close to call?
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:01   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest that you keep an eye on the BBC Weather pages of its website.

London could be fairly pleasant late May and early June. Rain stops play is always a hazard!
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:46   #291
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I take a chance and go for the holiday or is the time-frame too close to call?
We are travelling to Europe day after tomorrow & we got our passports back with Swiss visa last Wednesday, we had submitted our application on 9th May.
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:44   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A normal jacket would do the job in Italy and London during this time.

I haven't visited Austria.

For Switzerland, carry good shoes if you are planning to enter snow. Normal shoes are useless as the snow will enter the shoes easily and the socks will be damp within minutes. It will be a good idea to be more prepared for Switzerland.
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:12   #293
BHPian

Quote:

If you're going for sightseeing, please note its off season in switzerland and you may not encounter much snow in most parts(and might be pleasantly sunny) , plus switzerland doesn't have high speed rails and most of their attractions(for example Mt Titlus or the Nestle Factories are a bit far so you may spend a lot of time commuting ). France will be erratic at this point (unpredictable rains). But Italy,Spain will be pleasant i suppose due to mediterranean climate in general. And TBF , 1 day in Italy is a travesty, Pictures don't do justice to what a brilliant country Italy is and you can easily spend like 2 weeks there and still there will be places left which you can go to.
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:48   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am carrying 1 sweater & 1 jacket. I will spend 2 days in London, 3 days in Switzerland & 1 day each in Austria,Italy
I guess you are fine taking a jacket and sweater. If it rains Swiss and UK should be in the teens.

In Italy, you'd see high teens, low 20s if there is cloudy/rainy day and high 20s low 30s if its sunny. This May has been particularly unpredictable in terms of rains, usually it rains in April and sunny in May. This year has been the other way around.

Make sure you take sunglasses.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:59   #295
BHPian

Quote:
We got our Schengen Visa (Italy) in exactly 5 working days from the date of application at BLR. (Feb 2016). Ideally apply a month in advance, keeping in mind additional weeks time for any corrections if required.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:29   #296
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
For Switzerland, carry good shoes if you are planning to enter snow.
At present, i only have 1 set of shoes(see the link below) which i bought last week. Other pair of shoes are in bad condition which i'm going to use in monsoon & then throw them away!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3973828

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
If you're going for sightseeing, please note its off season in switzerland and you may not encounter much snow in most parts(and might be pleasantly sunny) ,
Snow or no snow, as long as its cold its fine with me. I'm sweating buckets here in the Mumbai heat! My travel is very hectic as i've documented earlier in the thread since we are going through a tour.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:42   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At present, i only have 1 set of shoes
My shoe travel kit for UK (which is my native place)...

Sandals, much as I wear in India. Perfectly good for many weathers, and even dry out quickly after a shower. Also the best thing for wearing on the plane.

Shoes, ideally waterproof. Gortex lining or similar is great but expensive.

Quote:
Snow or no snow, as long as its cold its fine with me. I'm sweating buckets here in the Mumbai heat!
This old Brit has become a tropical baby and I shiver at 20C or less. My tropical-born wife says she wants cold, but the only time she experienced snow/frost cold, she went a funny colour and got back in the car
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:34   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Snow or no snow, as long as its cold its fine with me. I'm sweating buckets here in the Mumbai heat! My travel is very hectic as i've documented earlier in the thread since we are going through a tour.
This (Late spring) is actually the ideal time. Its not cold, most places tempratures are in teens or better. Nor is it hot. mid-July to mid-September its hotter here than it is in India. I've seen 41 here in north Italy and it can get as bad as 46-47 in South Spain. We don't even take kids to the park until 6 or 7 pm in the evening, it can be that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This old Brit has become a tropical baby and I shiver at 20C or less. My tropical-born wife says she wants cold, but the only time she experienced snow/frost cold, she went a funny colour and got back in the car
I guess tropical borns long for such experiences. As a fellow Madrasi, I prefer snow and cold than summers here, let alone Madras' kathiri veyyil.

Quote:
In reality, if you have done the paperwork right and submit your application by 1430 IST today in a VFS office. You should get your passport to the mailing address on the second or maximum third business day. That is the real time it takes. You can add 3-4 days extra if you are using an agent, but its really not needed as most paperwork has to be done by the applicant.
Old 10th June 2016, 17:14   #299
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has done a Europe trip via Kesari Tours

http://www.kesari.in/tourIti/Group-T...BEST-OF-EUROPE
Just returned from my Europe holiday. Must say it was worth it & total vfm. It was a bit hectic on certain days but everything was well managed. The weather was nice & cold in most countries except Italy.
Old 10th June 2016, 17:36   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
In reality, if you have done the paperwork right and submit your application by 1430 IST today in a VFS office. You should get your passport to the mailing address on the second or maximum third business day. That is the real time it takes. You can add 3-4 days extra if you are using an agent, but its really not needed as most paperwork has to be done by the applicant.
Nopes, that is not the case.

I submitted all docs to VFS on 1st June. The status changed to "Submitted to the Embassy" on 3rd June.

And it's status quo till now. Maybe it is the holiday rush...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks