Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:26   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

In addition to my earlier post, I forgot to add one important thing.

I presume this Euro tour is a couch tour. So normally the coach stops every few hours for meals and breaks. All along the highways of Europe you have to pay cash (small amount of Euros) for using the washroom. After entering Europe it is advisable to exchange and carry some Euros in small denomination of coins for using the washrooms. Reason is, at some places you need a coin to enter the washroom and at that very spot you may not have someone for change.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 20:18   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Our travel agent suggested picking up a prepaid SIM (at Bombay for us) from Matrix. 15 day cards, with 2GB data. However, use Wi-fi at the hotels and call via Whatsapp.

thanks - will do GBP + Travel Card for Euro's.

I would strongly suggest not to buy Matrix SIM card - its a ripoff. Just buy a prepaid card once you land in London - free roaming across EU and much cheaper as well.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 20:44   #663
Senior - BHPian

Agree on that, it is better to buy a sim card once you reach the UK and same would work across Europe as well.
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:30   #664
Senior - BHPian

A quick query to Bhpians here who have travelled on Schengen Visa and applied through German Embassy. Is there any reliable website / agent, which can be used to get dummy tickets? This is required for Visa application. Since there are total 5 travelers, all first timers, I do not want to take any risk with visa rejection. Thank you !

Spike
Old 8th May 2019, 20:34   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A quick query to Bhpians here who have travelled on Schengen Visa and applied through German Embassy. Is there any reliable website / agent, which can be used to get dummy tickets? This is required for Visa application. Since there are total 5 travelers, all first timers, I do not want to take any risk with visa rejection. Thank you !
Spike
Hey Spike, long time
Just for curiosity, do they still ask for flight tickets now for Schengen Visa? At least for the Business and Training Visas they arent asking for the last one year or so. Work permits they were never asking. Do they only ask tickets for Tourist visas now?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 20:38   #666
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
It's very easy for the embassy to check if you tickets are fake or real. Just take the PNR from your ticket copy & enter it in the airlines website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hey Spike, long time
Just for curiosity, do they still ask for flight tickets now for Schengen Visa? At least for the Business and Training Visas they arent asking for the last one year or so. Work permits they were never asking. Do they only ask tickets for Tourist visas now?
As per the website, they do ask for tickets even for business visas.

Last edited by carboy : 8th May 2019 at 20:42.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 20:56   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As per the website, they do ask for tickets even for business visas.
Currently on my third work permit and fifth business visa. I stopped providing air tickets and proof of accommodation more than a year back and there haven't been any issues lately except for a higher turnaround time.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:10   #668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A quick query to Bhpians here who have travelled on Schengen Visa and applied through German Embassy. Is there any reliable website / agent, which can be used to get dummy tickets?
Agents can hold the tickets but only for a certain days which may not cover the processing time. You should look at fully flexible fares, though expensive will be good for Visa processing. Only issue can be credit card limits will get held up or if you have a known travel agent, take his help. Same way, you can book hotels. Most of the Accor hotels have a higher but flexible rates and they don’t even charge/ block the limits.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 23:27   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Spike
Dummy tickets are history.
It is irrelevant when there is a plan to travel with an itinerary on hand and tickets are bought accordingly.

Have travelled on Schengen visas from different Schengen countries for tourism only with a structured itinerary.

This itinerary determines validity viz. the duration of the visa. It usually commences from the date of arrival into port of issuing country and expiry up to a couple of days to max of a month or thereabouts from the date of departure.

Visa rejection happens when prescribed documents are not furnished or incomplete.

Also if unemployed, risk of rejection is high unless one can furnish compelling evidence of intention to return.

In any case you will be required to submit your application through the offices of VFS and they are pretty thorough scrutinizing applications before forwarding to Embassy.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/ind/en/deu/apply-visa

All the best.

Quote:
Currently on my third work permit and fifth business visa. I stopped providing air tickets and proof of accommodation more than a year back and there haven't been any issues lately except for a higher turnaround time.
Perhaps, because:

a. of your travel history
b. your Company is applying on your behalf

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2019 at 01:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 00:43   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Spike, long time
Just for curiosity, do they still ask for flight tickets now for Schengen Visa?
Yes man, long time no see.

I am made to understand that travel insurance and flight tickets are needed.

https://india.diplo.de/blob/1833286/...urism-data.pdf

https://india.diplo.de/blob/1867852/...visit-data.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It's very easy for the embassy to check if you tickets are fake or real. Just take the PNR from your ticket copy & enter it in the airlines website.
Agree, I've never applied for Schengen Visa personally, so I'm not sure on getting a ticket without Visa confirmation, in this case for 5 passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Agents can hold the tickets but only for a certain days which may not cover the processing time. You should look at fully flexible fares, though expensive will be good for Visa processing. Only issue can be credit card limits will get held up or if you have a known travel agent, take his help.
Thanks for the tip, will look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post

In any case you will be required to submit your application through the offices of VFS and they are pretty thorough scrutinizing applications before forwarding to Embassy.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/ind/en/deu/apply-visa

All the best.
Thank you, applying through VFS only.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 01:28   #671
BHPian

Quote:

Spike

What you can do it get a refundable booking from Emirates etc directly. The cost of that ticket is obviously high. As soon as visa is processed, cancel the tickets and purchase the cheap ones on which you will actually travel. That's what the agent will also do.

On quick search, fully refundable fares on Emirates are 2.5 times the cheapest ones.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 07:25   #672
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Sure. But why risk it? I am on my 5th Schengen Business Visa & I always provide everything on the list & even a few things unasked for. I usually end up going for the Visa a couple of weeks before my trip so I don't want any delays.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 17:23   #673
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip to France with my wife and need help in shaping up my itinerary. The duration of the trip will be 12-14 days and will be done towards end of July till beginning of August. I am keen to do Paris although I have heard many different opinions on it. People have told me that it is crowded, dirty and overrated. But in spite of all this, I feel like doing Paris. I do not mind doing touristy stuff. We are planning to allocate 4-5 nights to Paris. I need help regarding planning the remainder 8-9 days. The issue is that France is such a huge country and has tons of things to do. I am sure you would want to ask me what kind of things I am interested in. I do not have a definitive answer to it but I guess I want a mix of everything. Last year when we did Italy, we went to three places (Naples, Rome and Florence) and it was a great trip which included a bit of arts, culture, hiking, touristy stuff (Leaning tower of Pisa) and natural landscapes (Capri, Amalfi). I think I need a trip similar to Italy.

For the remainder of the trip, my wife tells me that we can go to South of France where there are several regions we can explore. These include Provence, French Riviera and the Alps. If I have to cover these areas, which cities can I use as a base? I am thinking of two bases apart from Paris. I would appreciate any advice with regards to selecting the cities in Southern France.
Old 14th May 2019, 18:33   #674
BHPian

Quote:

Spike
Hi Spike
You would not need a ticket as such. What they are looking for is a confirmed booking. For every booking there is a ticketing deadline. Most likely (if the travel date is not very close) these bookings can be renewed for another ticketing date. So talk to any decent travel agency to get you a confirmed booking. Its not going to cost them a penny except few minutes of their staff's time.
Once you have the confirmed booking (not paid for) you will have to show financial source such as a bank statement to show that if the Visa is issued you have enough funds to ticket the booking. Just make sure with the travel agency, if they renew the booking the booking reference remain the same.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 18:43   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Our travel agent suggested picking up a prepaid SIM (at Bombay for us) from Matrix. 15 day cards, with 2GB data. However, use Wi-fi at the hotels and call via Whatsapp.
I recently completed Switzerland trip (April-May 2019) and I used Travelerswifi - pocket WIFI and I must say, the internet speeds (even on SWISS mountain tops) were excellent.
I never needed a mobile connection as I used whatsapp extensively to connect to folks back home.
I also used google maps, google translate apps - thanks to internet availability on move.

Check it out if you are interested :https://www.travelerswifi.com/#global

I used the WIFI for 8 days and paid approx 6K.
Pick up and drop at Airport.

Disclaimer: I do not have any affiliations to the product and the experience is purely based on my usage.
nimbleguru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed