Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 00:22   #706
BANNED

I am travelling to Europe in June second week. Can we get a self drive rental car with a non smart card license for driving in Netherlands, Switzerland and Iceland.

I have a Haryana state license issued in 2004. It is in English but has only my first and middle name with my photograph and address. My passport does have my last name also.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th June 2019 at 16:44. Reason: Formatted for proper punctuation
Old 25th May 2019, 01:55   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I am travelling to Europe in June second week .Can we get a self drive rental car with a non smart card license for driving in Netherlands , Switzerland and Iceland .I have a Haryana state license issued in 2004 .It is in English but has only my first and middle name with my photograph and address .My passport does have my last name also .
I doubt this. Though the Swiss police accept a licence in English, I am not sure of handwritten licence if that is the case with yours. Even in Germany, one of my colleague was refused entry to a driving event by the ADAC since he had a booklet licence which was also hand written. Better check with the agency in advance about this.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 11:11   #708
Senior - BHPian

I just returned from a 15-day tour of Italy and Greece.
Just be very cautious in the big citites about pickpocketing/stealing/mugging.

My brand new Galaxy S10 was stolen in Athens almost in front of my eyes as I was having lunch at an outdoor cafe and kept my phone on the table. I went to the tourist police in Athens but of no use. As I was there, I noticed several people who had either been mugged or pickpocketed etc. I have heard similar things about ROme as well. So, be extra cautious.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 13:08   #709
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I doubt this. Though the Swiss police accept a licence in English, I am not sure of handwritten licence if that is the case with yours. Even in Germany, one of my colleague was refused entry to a driving event by the ADAC since he had a booklet licence which was also hand written. Better check with the agency in advance about this.

My license of type as attached . It is clear but i have edited to hide the photo .It only has my first and middle name . My passport has my last name also .The address on passport matches with emergency contact address on back of license.I have sent a copy of license to few rental agencies along with passport copy for confirmation .
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling to Europe. Need advice-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 25th May 2019 at 13:10.
Old 25th May 2019, 17:09   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My brand new Galaxy S10 was stolen in Athens almost in front of my eyes as I was having lunch at an outdoor cafe
Warning to everyone. You just don't do that in Europe. You don't even keep a phone in a visible pocket. You don't Take it out of your pocket to make a phone call just as you come out of a railway/etc station. Or make it obvious which pocket you wallet is in.

Having said that, it is important to take the necessary local precautions, but not to be too negative. I lived in London for over thirty years, but, on my last visit (first in a few years), having read of scooter-pavement-theft gangs etc (Yes, it is a thing, and there was even a police warning notice at one underground station), I found myself uncomfortably nervousness in a place that had once been home.

Over-reaction; not necessary! And I got over it in a few days. There was no need for any more than the above-mentioned ordinary street wisdom, which I had habitually practised twenty years before.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 18:46   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelling to Europe. Need advice

Knock wood, but I have never had anything stolen/pickpocketed ever in any of the many, many countries I visited and toured.

Just take the normal precautions. Don't leave stuff lying around and be a little sensible. Many years ago I was given a good tip by a police officer at a London venue. They were approaching members of the public to caution them for pickpockets. So they would for instance talk to a lady who had her handbag wide open. They told me to put my wallet in my front pocket of my jeans not my back pocket. Since I always keep my wallet and my phone in my front Jean pockets. Nobody is getting them out from there without me noticing.

You really do not need to be over cautious in Europe at all. Just a little bit more than the total ignorant tourists. Pickpockets/thieves will always go for the easy option. And in busy touristy place there are plenty of those.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:18   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Not putting wallet in back pocket is something that a London friend advised me in 1970s. Obvious, when you think about it... which I hadn't!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 23:21   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Do you mean to say, you were able to get visa without booking / buying air tickets?
Nope. Confirmed return ticket/confirmed hotel booking or itinerary/overseas travel insurance/3 years ITR/6 months latest bank statement minimum requirements.

Belated response because of other preoccupation/s
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 16:25   #714
BHPian

Travelling to Italy end of July, my first trip out of India.Will be visiting Bologna and Modena. Have planned to rent a car to go around these places, can you guys give me some help on driving and things to follow in Italy.How should i prepare myself and things to lookout for.
Sunrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 16:16   #715
BHPian

I'm travelling to Switzerland in the 3rd week of June, and have a free day.

I can't decide whether I should take a day trip to Jungfraujach or Zermatt (Matterhorn) from Interlaken. My relatives too are divided between the two. Need your advice between the two.

PS : I'm going to Mt. Titlis the next day, and have been on the Leh/Ladakh circuit earlier.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 09:57   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

I can't decide whether I should take a day trip to Jungfraujach or Zermatt (Matterhorn) from Interlaken. My relatives too are divided between the two. Need your advice between the two.

PS : I'm going to Mt. Titlis the next day, and have been on the Leh/Ladakh circuit earlier.
I have been to Switzerland in 2017 and will give you my view. Mt. Titlis and Jungfraujach are very touristy and will be crowded. On the other hand, there were hardly any people when we went to Matterhorn. One of the reasons is that the journey from Interlaken (where majority of the people stay) to Zermatt is easily more than 3 hours one way by train. Plus you will need to walk from the Zermatt train station to the base of Matterhorn which is not very difficult for young people. If you are doing Titlis, then you can skip Jungfraujach in my opinion. I enjoyed Matterhorn more than Jungfraujach. Also search about Glacier 3000 and see if that interests you.

Last edited by Saanil : 7th June 2019 at 09:59.
Saanil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 10:16   #717
BHPian

How is Paris in November end ? Is it too cold,planning a week there with my wife.
Old 7th June 2019, 10:22   #718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Alternatively, you can also visit Lucerne/Zurich, if they're not part of your itinerary already.
Old 15th June 2019, 18:38   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Mum's back in India after their 15 day Europe tour. Good feedback for the organizing by Veena World through the tour, and they had got a very good guide too. The staff managed things very well - including luggage when getting on to trains/ferry etc.

She's used about 250 EU in cash and some on the travel card.

Some points she's shared:
1. Be prepared to walk, walk, walk.

2. Dont stray from the points that the guides tell you. Else easy to get lost and that would be a big problem.
3. As an exception if you want to deviate, they would give you the next stop point and you could join there. But when one is in a new country, this kind of detours are not advisable.

4. Time for shopping would be less.

5. And in places, the vendors would crowd around try pressure you.
6. Bargain only if you want to buy. Once you bargain - do Not back-off. They dont take it lightly if you back-off
7. Shopping can be tricky - often, too many choices like at Swarowski.

Note:
1. Careful if buying cuckoo clocks - you'd need to carry it carefully.

2.One of the group members missed their grouping point in London. They had to contact the cops and managed to get a cab to the next visit point.

But like anyone can guess - 15 days is Nothing when visiting an area as large as Europe. More like viewing a travelogue film / seeing a tourist catalog, but in person.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 12:32   #720
BHPian

Quote:

We did Jungfrau and Titlis in 2017. I found Titlis has more to see and do but the train journey Jungfrau is a unique experience in itself (not that Titlis is bad though). Having said that, we enjoyed smaller peaks like Hardum Klum, Pilatus, Rigi even more. The experience was unique with each trip and they were shorter, less exhausting and had significantly fewer people to share the views with. If you plan well, you can do Harder Klum in Interlaken and leave for Lucerne the same day and visit Pilatus and Rigi and then do Titlis the next day along with a boat cruise on the lake.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed