Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 22:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renting a Car In USA

Flying to USA in the 28th of this month. Planning a long road trip from Atlanta to New York and back. One of the cars belogns to my friend in the USA (Indian green card holder) while the other one will be rented. Need a few tips regarding my eligibility and driving permits.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1266619

Please also refer to the above post that I've created in the IDP thread.

I'm wondering if all states that I'm driving through will accept my Indian licence.

Also, we've booked a full-size class vehicle with enterprise for the week 2-9 May. Any way we can get a discount on what we've already paid? I know we can still downgrade, but wondering about the discounts.

I'm 21 years old, carrying a card type licence.
Old 19th April 2009, 07:57   #2
BHPian

Try for a corporate rate plan. Depending on the company you work, there will be different rate plans
Old 19th April 2009, 08:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Won't really work out. Right now I'm interning at M&M as a trainee!
Old 19th April 2009, 08:08   #4
BHPian

In the state of South Carolina, you can use your Indian DL for the first 3 months. IDP is not required. Beyond 3 months, you need to get a US DL. Try looking up the rules at the Georgia DMV site.

Most rental companies have corporate rates, as joe mentioned. Depending on the company you work for, try looking up for tie ups. Moreover, you may also save on the LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) cost from the rental price.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

tight.

Check up the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) websites in the states you'll be driving through.

Google them and they'll come up. They usually have a FAQ section, which'll tell you what's valid where.

You're renting via Enterprise - they usually have a maximum mileage limit. Get that confirmed before hand. Over mileage charge usually is 25c/mile.

You can drive in New York (NY) using your Indian license. Indian license wasn't valid in New Jersey (NJ) last I heard.

You should be ok in Delaware (DE), Virginia (VA) and Maryland (MD), but don't quote me on that.

If you're stopped, many times the police officer won't be aware if an international driving license is valid in his state, so better get that confirmed before hand. Each state has it's own rule and many times there are grey areas.

Read through the IDP thread rather than waiting for replies on a weekend. It's got a lot of information in.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:37   #6
BHPian

I haven’t lived in US but the many times I have been there always used rental vehicles. I have had a different experience as I work for the US government I have never had to pay for insurance as I am covered by them but I have always used my Bahraini Driving license. I believe it’s only recognized as much as the Indian driving license.

I was in GA in Jan this year but had rented the vehicle from Jacksonville, FL and didn’t have any problems; also last year when driving from Norfolk, VA to New York and back, I used the same license with no problems. I have also rented vehicles from CA, NC, NV, and TN with the same license and have driven from one to state to the other with no problems.

The first couple of times I gave the rental car company my international permit and then at CA they asked for a local license from then I have only used my locally issued license with no problems till date.

From what I know if there is a possibility to get a discount, you can always redeem it at the time of checkout/vehicle return as I usually give my credit card during renting and on return pay it in cash and they have given me discounted rates at times when checking out.

Usually your driving license should not be a problem unless you are pulled over fortunately I have not had that happen to me. If you are just passing through and keep to the speed limits and drive safely the chances of you getting pulled over is unlikely but I guess guys who live in US would be able to say this one better.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Check up the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) websites in the states you'll be driving through.

Read through the IDP thread rather than waiting for replies on a weekend. It's got a lot of information in.
Thanks man. I suppose that's what I'll have to do.
Old 19th April 2009, 10:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I'm 21 years old, carrying a card type licence.
In some states, (I know first hand about California) there is a hefty surcharge
for car rentals to people who are under the age of 25 if its not a corporate rental.

I was asked to shell out an additional 25$/day(was renting on the monthly rate) until I showed them my company ID and explained that it was a "business trip". This is applicable if you are renting from Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc. Not sure about other rental agencies.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
for car rentals to people who are under the age of 25 if its not a corporate rental. ...
This is true. Infact, from my experience, most rental agencies will NOT rent a car to anyone under the age of 21!! There are a few exceptions around the tri-state area.

Also, if your friend (US licence holder) rents the car, in order for the insurance (very important!!!) to cover you as well, you need to be signed up as an additional driver - so theres no real way to circumvent that possible extra charge, atleast if you plan to have insurance (very necessary!).

I don't know if things have changed in the last few years, but when i tried renting a car @ 20yrs w/ IDP (in CA) it was close to impossible. I had to settle with a U-haul truck

Another option - get your friend who owns the car to call his insurance agency and ask/inform them about an additional driver for those few days. Usually they will ask for driver details and then okay it, and there probably wont be any charge as welll - then you can drive his car.

Also take a look at this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...iving-usa.html

cya
R
Old 19th April 2009, 21:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
for car rentals to people who are under the age of 25 if its not a corporate rental.

I was asked to shell out an additional 25$/day(was renting on the monthly rate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This is true. Infact, from my experience, most rental agencies will NOT rent a car to anyone under the age of 21!! There are a few exceptions around the tri-state area.
I'm aware of these things. The rental car is being split amongst five people. The surcharge is not hurting us much.

Quote:
I don't know if things have changed in the last few years, but when i tried renting a car @ 20yrs w/ IDP (in CA) it was close to impossible.
They simply don't. Atleast the reputed ones don't. We know someone who does, but not going to do anything illegal.

Quote:
Another option - get your friend who owns the car to call his insurance agency and ask/inform them about an additional driver for those few days. Usually they will ask for driver details and then okay it, and there probably wont be any charge as welll - then you can drive his car.
I really hope this works. We might have TWO resident-owned cars instead of one owned and one rented, but this is tentative. We'll have to drop the fancy rental car but it'll save us all a bunch of money.

Quote:
Thanks R !!
Old 19th April 2009, 21:43   #11
BHPian

Enterprise coupons are available online, I found one for a 50% off weekends

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Everyday Low Rates[SITE.CODE]&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-LinkShare-_-TEXT-_-50WES&cm_mmc=LinkShare-_-text-_-50offweekends-_-NULL&arc=CPqWkHwkNyo-zQc5Q5T%2FYc0sAIpew%2FNNUQ

They usually have a daily 10% -15% etc. If you cant find them, pm me and I will send you some leads.

Also they have their own insurance for very cheap. Its a zero deductible and protects your driving record incase of a problem. This is better than the credit card insurance which usually has a $500 deductible and incase of a mishap it shows on your record. I would recommend getting a friend over 25 to rent signing you as a co driver and getting the enterprise insurance.

For IDP I totally agree with aah79

I one more small piece of advise which I learnt the hard way. Please check the car very carefully taking delivery and returning. Make sure they note all scratches and dents and dinks. Best to make sure the car is washed when taking delivery.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Re: Renting a Car In USA

I am traveling to Baltimore, MD for a month and a half. Which is the best agency to rent a car? Best balance between cheap and reliable. I have always rented a car from Hertz (company paid), but this time I'm on my own, so need to find cheaper alternatives. Most likely, I'll be renting car only for weekends.

TIA.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nt-car-us.html (Rent a car in the US)

Maybe these threads can be merged?
Old 19th January 2011, 13:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Thread closed, please continue in
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nt-car-us.html (Rent a car in the US)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks