Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 11:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I think I made a small mistake when reading the map. The route I intended to take was Coimbatore-Karamadai-Velliangadu-Mulli-Kunda dam-Emerald-Ooty. This route doesn't touch Kottathara.

Any idea about this route? Thanks!

The Mulli road is quite good. You can take it.

There was a BHP drive planned from Bangalore to Ooty via this alternate route!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3167326
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 13:32   #17
BHPian

Hi, Did you finally make the trip. I just drove down that way from Ooty to Coimbatore last Sunday. It is a good road till Mulli. Between Mulli and Karamadai it is bad in patches but drivable. Please do get in touch if you need more info.

Rajesh
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Hi, Did you finally make the trip. I just drove down that way from Ooty to Coimbatore last Sunday. It is a good road till Mulli. Between Mulli and Karamadai it is bad in patches but drivable. Please do get in touch if you need more info.

Rajesh
Thanks a lot Rajesh. Doing it next week. Will update this thread on the latest condition after that.

BTW, there seems to be another route on google maps - Mulli-Velliangadu-Anaikatti-Coimbatore (Thadagam road). Any idea about that road condition, and if its better than the Mulli-Velliangadu-Karamadai-Coimbatore? Thanks!

Last edited by PearlJam : 23rd September 2014 at 16:09.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:48   #19
BHPian

For me, the route would have been through Mannarkad, Silent Valley, Mulli but I had to abort that plan because my son was unwell. We drove through the aforementioned route on our return.

It is a rather winding trip uphill, with 43 hairpins between Geddai and the top. There there are 34 more from Kundah! If you have someone with a queasy stomach distaste for hairpins, it would be very taxing. The 43 hairpins is in a stretch of some 15 kilometers (not in 8 kilometers as mentioned somewhere).

The stretch from Karamadai to Velliangadu is excellent. The next 15 kilometers upto Mulli is bad in patches but motorable even with a hatchback.

The route through Thadgam road, Anaikatti passes through Kerala. It goes through Sholayur and Kottathara, finally ending up in the Agali- Mulli road. The last 3-4 kilometers is an unpaved stretch till Mulli check post. It joins the road from Karamadai at the check post. I have plans to explore that stretch later in October, so I'll wait for your feedback!
Old 28th September 2014, 10:04   #20
BHPian

Just thought you might want some pics of the route. I drove down from Ooty as I already mentioned. The photos start from Kundah (Pics 1& 2), Annamalai temple road (Pic-3) Kundah-Mulli downhill (Pics 4-7,12 &13), Geddai & Thompson town (Pics 8-11), Mulli check post (Pic 14) and the Mulli-Karmadai road after that.

Have a nice trip
Attached Thumbnails
Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140326.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140329.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140334.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140342.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140343.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9120039bhp.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140358.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140363.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140364.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140386.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140390.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140399.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140402.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140408.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140411.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140417.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140419.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140421.jpg  

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.-p9140424.jpg  

woodcrawler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 10:55   #21
BHPian

Thanks a lot, woodcrawler. I just did this last week, but from the Karamadai side. As you mentioned, the stretch from Karamadai to Velliangadu is excellent.

From Velliangadu to the start of the 43 hairpin bends (it actually comes much after Mulli) is bad, with very bad patches in between. If you have an SUV, you could just glide over the bad patches, but if you have a smaller sedan or love your car, then the patches will break your heart.

The hairpin bends were actually not bad at all, just like any other hair pin bends

As a side offtopic, my original route was Palani-Pollachi-Coimbatore-Karamadai, but due to the Jayalalitha verdict, Coimbatore was advised to be avoided. The alternate route of Palani-Dharapuram-Palladam-Annur-Karamadai was simply excellent state highways. I would suggest that route even in normal cases.

Quote:
The route through Thadgam road, Anaikatti passes through Kerala. It goes through Sholayur and Kottathara, finally ending up in the Agali- Mulli road. The last 3-4 kilometers is an unpaved stretch till Mulli check post. It joins the road from Karamadai at the check post. I have plans to explore that stretch later in October, so I'll wait for your feedback!
Unfortunately, I couldn't take it due to lack of time in experimenting. Would definately try that next time!
Old 8th October 2014, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Thanks a lot, woodcrawler. ....

From Velliangadu ......very bad[/b] patches in between. If you have an SUV, you could just glide over the bad patches, but if you have a smaller sedan or love your car, then the patches will break your heart.

..... The alternate route of Palani-Dharapuram-Palladam-Annur-Karamadai was simply excellent state highways. I would suggest that route even in normal cases....
You are welcome PearlJam, my pleasure.

I love my car, definitely, and even though I go on my adventures with my'trusty Dusty I don't rattle over the potholes, I let her take them gently! I really love my Dusty

For me that route you suggested would be a long, round about route from Palakkad. It is easier for me to drive through Mannarkad, Silent Valley / Agali and thereon to Mulli. It is a more picturesque route which my Dusty will cover with elan. If you plan to drive down this way let me know. I'll see if I can join you. Always good to travel with company!
Old 25th August 2016, 14:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did you take this road finally? Any feedback?
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Did you take this road finally? Any feedback?
Nope, never got to do that trip.
Old 27th March 2018, 11:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning a trip from Bangalore to Manjoor and thereabouts. This is my route plan: https://goo.gl/maps/4JRx5iDmsvF2

Are these roads good to go? Or would you suggest alternatives?

Mode of transport: Motorcycle.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 22:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning a trip from Bangalore to Manjoor and thereabouts. This is my route plan: https://goo.gl/maps/4JRx5iDmsvF2

Mode of transport: Motorcycle.
Have not taken the Bangalore to Manjoor road. Coimbatore to Bangalore via Erode/Salem is amazing highway. One could cruise in a relaxed way. Since you are going on Motorcycle, you would probably be interested in the drive than the destination. An year before had a drive between Bangalore <-> Mysore, though road looked fine, didn't enjoyed it due to traffic. Mysore -> Mulli have zero experience.
gunsho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 22:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
H
Conoor to Manjoor road via Chamraj tea estate is decent. No issues there.

The road toward Kinnakorai from Manjoor progressively deteriorates. I was there a couple of years back.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2018 at 07:40. Reason: Fixed Typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks