Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 11:22   #1
BHPian

Mumbai sight seeing in a Day

Hi,

I'll be in Mumbai on official Trip for a month. and i get only Sundays :( to freak out. I checked out in Google and found one day Mumbai Darshan which i felft, not that fascinating.
Please suggest me the places which i can cover in one day. I'm not interested in visiting Planetorium and Muscium.
I'm also interested to visit Mahabaleshwaram.
Kindly Advice.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th April 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Please post in the relevant sub forums. Thanks
Old 26th April 2009, 22:04   #2
BHPian

Sowmya the best way to see bombay is after 4 pm sit around marine drive, wait for the sun to go down, around 6.30 pm walk around Nariman Point, Fort, Churchgate station, Colaba, the city was built here. Once the office crowds move out to their homes, the best time to take a walk around here (psst avoid isolated lanes). BTW which part of Bombay are you staying?
Old 26th April 2009, 23:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Hi,

I'll be in Mumbai on official Trip for a month. and i get only Sundays :( to freak out. I checked out in Google and found one day Mumbai Darshan which i felft, not that fascinating.
Please suggest me the places which i can cover in one day. I'm not interested in visiting Planetorium and Muscium.
I'm also interested to visit Mahabaleshwaram.
Kindly Advice.
Hi Sowmya

There are quite a few places in and arround Mumbai for one day trips

1. Sanjay Gandhi National Park at Borivili, there are some caves atop the hill.
2. Alibag Beach + fort ruins, you can go via the boat from
Gateway of India
3. Kashid Beach (some 120KM, White sand, not crowded beach),
if you have couple of friends, you can hire a car and travel. Kashid is
some 1 hour+ drive from Alibag.
4. There is an island with caves on it. (i am sorry, i forgot the name),
you can go via the boat from Gateway of India.
5. You can go to Matheran, it is a hill station, you can travel there by train, do some googling to understand more
6. You can go to Lonavala, which is famous for its "Chikkis" as well as India's first Expressway (Mumbai-Pune wxpressway), there is a dam, plus some waterfalls (would be dry during summar), some Caves near Karla.
7. You can go to Pune, travel in the morning by Train and return by night.
8. Mount Mary Church in Bandra, Mahakali Caves in Andheri, Chatrpati Shivaji Railway Station (former Victoria Terminus), Nariman Point + Queen's Necklace, Gateway of India, Some of the Studios of Bollywood in Kandivili, Hare Rama Hare Krishna Temple at Juhu, Juhu beach, Dome theator near Sion are some attractions you must see / visit in mumbai
9. a Trip by Western, Central and Harbour Railways (end to end and return) is an absolute must for anyone to expereince the real mumbai.
10, etc, etc.. Mumbai is the financial capital of India, plenty to see, plenty to experience, you must have time, money and willingness.

enjoy your stay, experience mumbai and its Speed.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

... and since you are from Bangalore .. .take care you're gonna hate the heat and humidity of Bombay at this part of the year
Old 27th April 2009, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
4. There is an island with caves on it. (i am sorry, i forgot the name),
you can go via the boat from Gateway of India.
Its Elephanta Caves (Elephanta Caves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Old 27th April 2009, 18:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, first head to the Gateway of India, go early, take a launch to Elephanta Caves, its got some amazing sculptures. Watch out for the pesky monkeys though, they tend to snatch any eatables that you might be carrying.

Once you're done with that, you might be feeling a lil hungry, so head on over to Colaba Causeway and sample some of the restaurants there. Check out Leopold or Mondegar if you want a drink or two.

Then head on over to Marine Drive, watch the sun set, and try some of the restaurants on that end. Perhaps a pizza at Pizzeria Uno, or a Chinese meal at the Ambassador revolving restaurant, which gives you a great view of the city.

Incase you have some time in between, head on over to Chowpatty beach or check out Hanging Gardens, some good views of the Queens Necklace from there.
There's also some good bookstores in the Colaba area, with Nalanda at the Taj, Oxford near Churchgate, and a small yet amazing place near Metro for old out of print books.

You can also look at Cottage Industries near the Gateway for handicrafts etc...
If you're looking at art, then head to the Jehangir Art Gallery near Kalaghoda.

Hope that helps. Though I've only spoken about South Bombay, however depending on where you're staying, theres so much more to see in Bombay. Bandra and Juhu have some amazing party places.

Have fun!!!
Old 30th April 2009, 18:12   #7
BHPian

Yea..
True already experienced too muc humidity. other than the weather city seems to be good. one more think since company provides transportation never got experience croweded local train.
any how Thanks

yup went to Nariman point but could not go in the evening. went around 3PM.
may be as you told evening it will be wonderful. if i get time i'll try to land again.
Thanks 4 the advice

Thanks for all inputs and advice. I explored Elephanta Caves, Nariman point, chowpatty beach, Siddhi Vinayak temple etc. will try to explore as much as possible.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th April 2009 at 18:32. Reason: see note in post
Old 16th March 2024, 06:11   #8
BHPian

Re: Mumbai sight seeing in a Day

Bumping this very old thread after 15 years. Can any mumbaikars suggest, what would be a good place to park the car for the day - I intend to drive down with family in my Safari from Pune and was thinking of parking in some mall to have piece of mind for my 6 month old car. I will be taking the trans harbour link into South Bombay and would spend day around going in cabs. Is Atria mall worli a good option? What would be the parking charges for about 10 hrs?
Old 16th March 2024, 08:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Can any mumbaikars suggest, what would be a good place to park the car for the day
Phoenix mall also has good parking, i normally park over there if i want to visit SOBO while coming from Pune. It maybe a bit far from SOBO but I normally hail one of those Kaali Peeli cabs or Uber, distance doesn't matter.
There is an open parking at Kaala Ghoda but am a bit vary on the availability and safety. One of my other favourite parking spaces in Mumbai is at the Jio World drive or Nita Ambani cultural centre at BKC as both can comfortably accommodate my Gurkha.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 16th March 2024 at 08:25.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 09:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Bumping this very old thread after 15 years. Can any mumbaikars suggest, what would be a good place to park the car for the day - I intend to drive down with family in my Safari from Pune and was thinking of parking in some mall to have piece of mind for my 6 month old car. I will be taking the trans harbour link into South Bombay and would spend day around going in cabs. Is Atria mall worli a good option? What would be the parking charges for about 10 hrs?
Atria used to charge 70Rs for 4 hours, but I have not been there in the last couple of years. May I suggest giving it to the Valet at any 5 star hotel, like say the Taj. You can park the car, go to the lobby, and then head out on foot. Cheaper than pay & park and your car will be safe.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 20:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I used to park my car at Panvel Railway Station, and take the local to VT for SOBO work. The parking in front of the railway station (for long distance trains) was spacious, and was manned 24 hours. Only problem was bird poop.... alternately, some of my friends used the parking at Vashi station - it was more closer to the Pune Highway (for Panvel, you have to take the first exit & then drive into Panvel; sometimes, the traffic was bad)

Last edited by vrprabhu : 16th March 2024 at 20:39. Reason: Details added
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions but I was already in Mumbai before I could read these. I parked in Atria and was very convenient to reach when coming from Atal Setu. I parked for 9 hrs and was prepared to pay up to thousand bucks but to my surprise they charged just 300 for 9 hrs - pretty cheap I would say. Was very convenient to go around SOBO from there in kaali peelis. Parking was also good and spacious. Atria mall by itself is nothing to write about but we did spend some time there and had some refreshments at McD there.

I would recommend this (Atria) to anyone planning a SOBO trip with peace of mind of parking own car.

The idea of using a 5star valet for free without using any service somehow may be a great hack but doesn't feel ethically right to me - better to pay up and park.

On a side note, the evening was marred with heavy traffic jams from marine drive, girgaum to worli and other adjoining areas - heard there was a political rally and Ed Shiran concert at Mahalakshmi behind the chaos.
Absolute mess it was and we had to walk 4 kms to Atria ditching the taxi. Most people resorted to same, ambulances stuck, even cops for that matter. Are these events worth the trouble they create for lacs of common citizen?

Most Viewed