Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 21:58   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess it should be fine. Because most traffic which starts by 4/5AM from Bangalore should be around here by 10-11 (on the ghats) and around 7/8 around Mysore. But again thats my rough assessment. So mostly you should be able to clear Ooty-Gudalur stretch easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I think Ooty-Mysore stretch (whether via Gudalur or Masinagudi) shouldn't be too bad in the mornings because the tourist traffic from Ooty towards Bangalore typically starts only from around 12/1PM (No one would generally want to get up very early to start back after a vacation and the checkout times of most hotels / resorts is noon)

And the fact that you'd be travelling on a Friday would help as well. The high traffic day for the Ooty to Bangalore sector is Sunday.

Thanks ampere and kala. I will then try this route this Friday morning. I will be returning from Mysore on Sunday. So, maybe Sathyamangalam route would be a safe bet for the return journey.
Old 16th June 2016, 21:12   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coimbatore to Mysore - Via Chamraj nagar or Bandipur?

One last question before I leave tomorrow morning through Coimbatore - Gudalur - Bandipur - Mysore route. Is there any timing restrictions for Bandipur route? Google maps gives me a warning "This route has restricted usage".
Old 16th June 2016, 21:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
One last question before I leave tomorrow morning through Coimbatore - Gudalur - Bandipur - Mysore route. Is there any timing restrictions for Bandipur route? Google maps gives me a warning "This route has restricted usage".
Road through Bandipur is closed at night. Please ensure that you cross Theppekadu (forest entrance on the Mudumalai side) before sunset.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 21:36   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Road through Bandipur is closed at night. Please ensure that you cross Theppekadu (forest entrance on the Mudumalai side) before sunset.
Thanks a lot for the heads up. For the onward journey tomorrow, I am leaving Coimbatore at 4:30 in the morning. So I will be crossing Bandipur after 7AM. For return, as I will be leaving Mysore at around 4 in the evening, I think I will not be able to make it to Bandipur entrance before sunset. So, I will take the Ch.Nagar - Dimbam - Sathyamangalam route.
Old 16th June 2016, 22:07   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For return, as I will be leaving Mysore at around 4 in the evening, I think I will not be able to make it to Bandipur entrance before sunset. So, I will take the Ch.Nagar - Dimbam - Sathyamangalam route.
Bandipur is closed from 9PM to 6AM. So if you leave at 4, you will be comfortably able to take the same route on the return (if you prefer to)
Old 25th October 2019, 01:34   #66
BHPian

Hi,

Bumping up this old thread. Can some one please tell me which is the scenic route to take if I start from Mysore early morning at say 3 or 4 am to Coimbatore ?

Any inputs on this will be of big help. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2019, 02:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Take Chamarajanagar-Banneri route from Mysore, roads are good.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 07:45   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Take Chamarajanagar-Banneri route from Mysore, roads are good.
How is the direct route to T-Narasipura ? (The old NH212)
Old 25th October 2019, 09:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

You mean CR Nagar to TN pura, it is in decent condition. This stretch was asphalted 2 years ago, good option to bypass Yalandur and Kollegala. I always take Maddur-Malavalli-TN Pura-CR Nagar for my travel.

Last edited by deehunk : 25th October 2019 at 09:44.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Hi,

Bumping up this old thread. Can some one please tell me which is the scenic route to take if I start from Mysore early morning at say 3 or 4 am to Coimbatore ?

Any inputs on this will be of big help. Thanks.

If you have time on your hand and if you indeed manage to leave that early , I'll do the Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Ooty- Kothagiri - Mettupalyam- Annur - Coimbatore. It'll be scenic and enjoyable.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you have time on your hand and if you indeed manage to leave that early , I'll do the Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Ooty- Kothagiri - Mettupalyam- Annur - Coimbatore. It'll be scenic and enjoyable.
Hey,

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I was actually planning, Mysore - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore.

How do these 2 routes compare considering a 4 am start from Mysuru viz. road conditions, wild life spotting, scenic beauty and all.

Also is the total distance the same comparing both routes?

Planning to reach Coimbatore by late morning.

Will decide on one based on your inputs I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I was actually planning, Mysore - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore.

How do these 2 routes compare considering a 4 am start from Mysuru viz. road conditions, wild life spotting, scenic beauty and all.

Thanks in advance.
For wildlife spotting and scenic beauty Bandipur-Ooty-Kothagiri-Mettuppalayam would be better. But it is the longer route
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

aswin - If you take the Mysore - CRNagar - Dhimbam Ghats - Bannari - Sathy - Annur - Mettupalyam - Coimbatore route, you shall reach in 5 hours from Mysore.

If you are lucky, you might spot wild life ( Deer, Elephants, Gaur ) after Chamarjnagar and before you start the descend from Dhimbam.

The drive through those hairpin bends are fabulous.

If you happen to reach Sathy around 8 am or so, try the breakfast at Sri RamVilas at Sathy. A very old place and its enroute and is exactly opposite the Sathy Police station.

Mysore -Bandipur - Ooty - Kothagiri - Mettupalyam is equally scenic. It will take about 6-7 hours to reach coimbatore in this route.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 16:17   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Mysore -Bandipur - Ooty - Kothagiri - Mettupalyam is equally scenic. It will take about 6-7 hours to reach coimbatore in this route.
I would suggest choosing Dimbam anyday to Ooty. Too much traffic on the Ooty-Conoor-Mettupalayam section.
Old 28th October 2019, 23:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

Mysore to Chamrajnagar roads are good. Some diversions and some sections are being worked out for expansion but in very much drivable state. After Chamrajnagar, when the mountains start, roads are bad in many sections, potholes and craters. You have to carefully navigate. This situation is not continuous but intermittent. Till you hit TN border roads are pretty bad but manageable with slow driving.

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I never drive through Bandipur - Ooty and hence leaving that comparison part to other experienced people to comment. Initially, I was planning to do that stretch but rains and landslides news kept me away. Please check news and decide.

If you start at 4am, you could comfortably reach Chamrajnagar by 6am or earlier. You will be perfect situation to enter that road at sunrise or just after that. You may get lucky to spot elephants. I saw lots of boards and signs alerting drivers to drive dead slow if they spot elephant herds just to be sure not to disturb or cause any distractions to them.

My family spotted lots of deers in Bannari just besides the road. Unfortunately we could not enjoy the complete scenery as I came through this route after sunset on last Wednesday. Left Mysore at 4pm and reached Ganapathy in Coimbatore by 10pm with one hour stop for dinner at Annur.

Dhimbam hairpin bends are very fabulous. 27 in total and neatly numbered. Tall trees and probably you get lucky as you plan to cross in day time to spot wildlife.

Slightly off-topic: Very surprised to see the state of the road from Chamrajnagar to TN border, especially when lots of trucks and buses use this as a main road. Usually KA has the reputation to maintain good roads, but this one seems to be left out or ignored for many years. Another surprise is that, TN ghat roads were super smooth which usually has the reputation to ignore ghat roads!
Pam81 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed