Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 12:19   #76
BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Mysore - Via Chamraj nagar or Bandipur?

Went through Kollegala-Chamarajanagar-Hasanur-Bannari-Coimbatore route on Thursday (31st Oct).
Pam81's observations are spot-on. In its present state, CMNagar-Punjanur-Hasanur is pathetic. Met many folks who said they had underbody hits.
Deep potholes and craters filled with slush and muddy water making you uncertain about the depth of the pothole.
I was lucky to follow a carefully driven Skoda-Rapid and could gauge the depth from his/her actions. A Santro followed me using the same tactic.
Still this road is used/preferred compared to Germalam route. I wonder why!
Any update on the Germalam route will be nice.
Roads become awesome the moment you enter TN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Mysore to Chamrajnagar roads are good. Some diversions and some sections are being worked out for expansion but in very much drivable state. After Chamrajnagar, when the mountains start, roads are bad in many sections, potholes and craters. You have to carefully navigate. This situation is not continuous but intermittent. Till you hit TN border roads are pretty bad but manageable with slow driving.
Dhimbam hairpin bends are very fabulous. 27 in total and neatly numbered. Tall trees and probably you get lucky as you plan to cross in day time to spot wildlife.
Slightly off-topic: Very surprised to see the state of the road from Chamrajnagar to TN border, especially when lots of trucks and buses use this as a main road. Usually KA has the reputation to maintain good roads, but this one seems to be left out or ignored for many years. Another surprise is that, TN ghat roads were super smooth which usually has the reputation to ignore ghat roads!
Old 20th November 2021, 22:20   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you take the Mysore - CRNagar - Dhimbam Ghats - Bannari - Sathy - Annur - Mettupalyam - Coimbatore route, you shall reach in 5 hours from Mysore.....
Mysore -Bandipur - Ooty - Kothagiri - Mettupalyam is equally scenic. It will take about 6-7 hours to reach coimbatore in this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest choosing Dimbam anyday to Ooty. Too much traffic on the Ooty-Conoor-Mettupalayam section.
Bumping up an old thread for any guidance on which route to take from Coimbatore to Mysore with respect to road conditions and time expected to be taken.

1. Coimbatore - Annur - Charamrajnagar - Mysore

2. Coimbatore - Conoor - Ooty - Masinagudi - Bandipur - Mysore

I am really keen on the 2nd option and plan to leave Coimbatore tomorrow, Sunday, hoping to get lesser traffic.
Old 20th November 2021, 22:44   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Bumping up an old thread for any guidance on which route to take from Coimbatore to Mysore with respect to road conditions and time expected to be taken.

1. Coimbatore - Annur - Charamrajnagar - Mysore

Would still suggest Dimbam as you clearly avoid going via Ooty/Conoor. But yes sometimes you may get stuck in Dimbam. But otherwise its good.

Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 07:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Would still suggest Dimbam as you clearly avoid going via Ooty/Conoor. But yes sometimes you may get stuck in Dimbam. But otherwise its good.

Thanks Ampere. Any idea about the road conditions on either of the routes? We may still risk Ooty - Bandipur - Mysore traffic if the road conditions are good!
Old 21st November 2021, 12:32   #80

I travelled from Sathyamangalam to Mysore on Saturday, Nov 20. The entire Hasanur-Punajanur-Chamarajanagar stretch is completely asphalted and it is a smooth drive. It was a nightmare till 3 weeks ago.. Now it's is alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Went through Kollegala-Chamarajanagar-Hasanur-Bannari-Coimbatore route on Thursday (31st Oct).
Pam81's observations are spot-on. In its present state, CMNagar-Punjanur-Hasanur is pathetic. Met many folks who said they had underbody hits.
Deep potholes and craters filled with slush and muddy water making you uncertain about the depth of the pothole.
I was lucky to follow a carefully driven Skoda-Rapid and could gauge the depth from his/her actions. A Santro followed me using the same tactic.
Still this road is used/preferred compared to Germalam route. I wonder why!
Any update on the Germalam route will be nice.
Roads become awesome the moment you enter TN!
sateeshg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. Any idea about the road conditions on either of the routes? We may still risk Ooty - Bandipur - Mysore traffic if the road conditions are good!
Coimbatore to Bannari via Annur is the standard curvy twisty state highway. Good surface.

Bannari to Dhimbam ghats - Good roads. Smoot surface. Slow because of the several
Hair pins

Dhimbam to C’R Nagar - Good roads. A bit patchy is some small stretches. Speed breakers in thr jungle section. Very doable and clear

CR Nagar to Mysore- Good state highway again. Slows you in places where you cross villages. But good surface. Bandipur to Nanjangud and further to Mysore is 4 lanes.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 17:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Coimbatore to Bannari via Annur is the standard curvy twisty state highway. Good surface.

Bannari to Dhimbam ghats - Good roads. Smoot surface. Slow because of the several
Hair pins

Dhimbam to C’R Nagar - Good roads. A bit patchy is some small stretches. Speed breakers in thr jungle section. Very doable and clear

CR Nagar to Mysore- Good state highway again. Slows you in places where you cross villages. But good surface. Bandipur to Nanjangud and further to Mysore is 4 lanes.
Thanks for the advice and in the end we did take the above suggested routes only. Also can attest that the road conditions are exactly as described above with some slow moving traffic only encountered at Dhimbam Ghats. I guess the Ooty, Conoor and Masinagudi will have to wait till our next road trip!
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 12:51   #83

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and in the end we did take the above suggested routes only. Also can attest that the road conditions are exactly as described above with some slow moving traffic only encountered at Dhimbam Ghats. I guess the Ooty, Conoor and Masinagudi will have to wait till our next road trip!
I am planning to take this route (Coimbatore to Bangalore actually). Planning to leave Coimbatore around 3-4 PM on a weekday afternoon, so hoping for lesser traffic on the ghats.

Any suggestions for rest stops / tea breaks or snack en route? Assuming I want to make a stop after a 3 hour drive?
Old 13th June 2022, 21:14   #84
BHPian

Hi,

Any latest update in 2022?
How is the road condition from Mysore till Coimbatore?

I have a low slung hatchback, will I be able to completely and easily traverse the section?

Any potholes or worst road surfaces to watch out for?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 19th June 2022, 09:49   #85

Hi
Mysore-Chamarajanagara-Sathymangalam-Coimbatore stretch is very good. No potholes. Recently metalled. I travel every week on this entire stretch in my Swift and its is a smooth ride.Watchout for trucks/busses on the Dhimbam ghat road up to Bannari temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Hi,

Any latest update in 2022?
How is the road condition from Mysore till Coimbatore?

I have a low slung hatchback, will I be able to completely and easily traverse the section?

Any potholes or worst road surfaces to watch out for?

Any advice is much appreciated.
sateeshg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 20:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sateeshg View Post
Hi
Mysore-Chamarajanagara-Sathymangalam-Coimbatore stretch is very good. No potholes. Recently metalled. I travel every week on this entire stretch in my Swift and its is a smooth ride.Watchout for trucks/busses on the Dhimbam ghat road up to Bannari temple.
I am hoping that the route - Coimbatore - Annur - Sathyamangalam - Bannari - Dhibham - Chamrajangar - Mysore is good and is do able in about 6 hours with breaks. The return journey is also planned for the same route.

I am planning for a 7 AM star from Coimbatore. I would be travelling with a 10month old and a 65 and a 68 year old. All of the elderly are able-bodied, so I am not too worried. I am planning to carry extra food and water for all abroad.

What are the food and rest options in this route?
Any rest room options?
Is the route safe?
Anything that I should be careful about?
Old 18th October 2022, 23:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What are the food and rest options in this route?
Any rest room options?
Is the route safe?
Anything that I should be careful about?
Food and Rest room option in Chamarajanagara : you can try the Kings resort and Spa, its a decent property that you can consider.
Is the route safe: Yes, have traveled in that route many times when we were in India and my FIL was posted to Kollegalla ..never faced any issues , but be wary of the private buses who can be rash.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks