Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 14:07   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Bhopal : Route Queries

I have a query, I am planning to go to Bhopal from Mumbai via road this thursday in my car (honda civic), please can some one advice me on the road map and how the roads are, I dont want to damage my car.

Please help Bhpains.

thanks,

Saint
Old 28th April 2009, 14:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

You can either take the Mumbai Agra Highway or take the route from Pune which is As following

Pune- Aurangabad- Ahmednagar - Burhanpur - Indore - Bhopal.

All the roads till Indore are good. The Indore Bhopal route is under construction & is in quite bad shape at some spots.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:25   #3
BHPian

Thanks Techno, appreciate.

Will the Pune route be longer for me, though Pune is not too far from Mumbai, waht will be the total kms for the route you have suggested, do I go to pune via express and enter the city or old highway.

Are you not recommending the other route, which is Nashik-Malegaon-Dhule-Indore-Bhopal, just got to know of this route.

Is this highway safe for night driving.

Thanks,

Saint
Old 28th April 2009, 16:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nashik-Malegaon-Dhule-Indore-Bhopal
Thats the AB road(Agra Bombay). This is shorter route than what I suggested but this road is narrow & has bad patches once you reach MP plus a dacoit zone.

The route I suggest is a 4 lane road (lots of toll to pay ) & is also longer than AB road. most of the travel operators now use this road.

In a car like Aveo my friend used to reach Indore by 1 pm if he leaves at 5 am from. Even in a spark & i10 i could reach Indore from Pune by 2-2:30 starting around 5 am.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:18   #5
BHPian

Thanks, I have got the main directions from you and the city names, could you please help me whether I need to drive to Pune all the way through express highway or shall I take the old pune highway and from where exactly I will get the Aurangabad road.

I plan to leave around 1:30pm on thursday as I have half day work. I want to reach bhopal the same day, hope night driving is not unsafe on the route that you have suggested, though I will have a friend once I reach Indore.

By the calculation it takes around 9-91/2 hours from Indore, Bhopal is further 150-180 kms so another 3 hours I guess.

I will go with your route as it sounds better and safer.

Thanks,

Saint
Old 28th April 2009, 16:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

slight correction

Pune- Ahmednagar - Aurangabad- Sillod - Ajanta - Burhanpur - Indore - Bhopal

Hmm The timing isnt very apt. As you wont get much eating options. Besides the time that you are choosing you wold take more than 10 hours from Pune - Indore.

The city traffic in Pune-Ahemadnagar-Aurangabad would be a time killer. Also like I said Indore Bhopal is in bad shape in major patches right now

I did Bhopal - Pune this month it took us 16 hours due to various reasons. Even if you dont face these conditions you would still take around 14 hours

I would recommend that you take a halt somewhere in Aurangabad or Ahmadnager this way your journey would be much more relaxed.

p.s where in Bhopal are you going?

Expressway would be better as you would need to pass through the city for Nagar road

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th April 2009 at 16:42.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:54   #7
BHPian

Are you referring as per this map, click the link

Does not look like a main highway though, but kms is 578 from Pune...

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2013 at 13:20. Reason: Removing dead link. Thanks
Old 28th April 2009, 17:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Array thats the route to avoid. Sendhwa is the dacoit zone & Dhamnod is a terrible patch.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:42   #9
BHPian

OK. So Aurangabad is what I will go with, Old Pune highway or Express and enter pune then get directions for Ahmednagar etc?
Old 28th April 2009, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like I said it wont matter whether you choose expressway or old Highway as you have to cross the Pune city for Ahmadnagar road (commonly known as Nagar road)So I think E-way would be better.

Are you still planning for a a direct trip? I wouldnt recommend that becasue as you enter MP there are not many places where you can ask for directions same near the end of Maharashtra border.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Thanks mate, yes I am planning a direct trip if not wrong and with your calculation.

-Leave by 1pm from Andheri West.
- if not too much traffic but election day lets say I hit express by 2-2:15pm
-Pune I should hit by I mean Hijawadi chowk by 3:15pm.
-then Need to find Nagar Road for Ahmednagar, dont know how much time will that take, so keeping 10 hrs from there I should be in Indore by 1:15 am or latest 2am.
- Indore to Bhopal should be a straight road another 3-3.5 hrs.
-Should be in the hotel by 06:30 am latest.

What say? hope its safe to drive in night on the route I am following & especially MP?
Old 28th April 2009, 18:19   #12
BHPian

Thanks, Eating and stopping is not a worry with me, I do delhi-mumbai once in a year single handed, have done it 4 times until now, I take 19-20 hrs in civic, but then the highway is sweet man, really even the express way to pune is nothing, you pay Rs 800+ for toll.

My only worry is that I have not been from this side to Bhopal (only worried about the road that will come my way and how safe it it), I will pick up my friend from Indore (maybe can stop there but then I believe in finishing my target in one go as it will be late for a sleep and then get up early so neither here or there) I have gone from Delhi couple of times but that 2 its been more than a decade.

I have a house in Shapura after Arera colony, though I will be staying in a hotel.

What do you reckon?
Old 28th April 2009, 18:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Trying to track these routes:

from:Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (mumbai) to:Pune, Pune, Maharashtra, India to:Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India to:Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India to:Sillod to:Bhopal - Google Maps

This route is VIA Sillod, Burhanpur, Khandwa.

Instead of Going toward Indore, Head towards Harda and Take Hoshangabad road to Bhopal.

Total 944 KM

Not sure abut road from Khandwa to Harda.

Hoshngabad onwards Road it good to Bhopal.

EDIT : This is the route Technocrat mentioned.

from:Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (mumbai) to:Pune, Pune, Maharashtra, India to:Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India to:Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India to:Sillod to:Khandwa to:Indore toewas, Dewas, Madhya Pradesh, India to:Bhopal - Google Maps

Khandwa -> Indore road used to be quite decent and was a toll road couple of years back. Not sure hos it is now.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 28th April 2009 at 18:33.
Old 28th April 2009, 18:26   #14
BHPian

By the way I have just bought a Blackberry 8900 and downloaded google maps, which shows me the map but with no voice assist.
Old 28th April 2009, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

See my only worry is that if you miss a turn you may not find any soul to ask for directions.

Besides the Burhanpur stretch is heard to be notorious at night. I have traveled as late as 11pm there & it was fine but if its like more late then doubtful.

Also it will take you roughly an hour to cross Pune on a weekday

EDIT

Quote:
Instead of Going toward Indore, Head towards Harda and Take Hoshangabad road to Bhopal.

Total 944 KM
this route is good too but a bit narrow & again deserted, besides he needs to pick his friend from Indore

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th April 2009 at 18:34.

Most Viewed