Team-BHP - The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5765-international-driving-license-idl-international-driving-permit-idp-thread-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1085193)
Guys, despite what you say, my BIL was in Scotland for a year in 2006, and he said he could not get cars on rent because he did not have an IDP. His license was in English, but I believe that was not enough.

Different countries, different people, different interpretations. FYI, in the US, I was able to rent cars with just the Indian license(card type) in TX as well as NY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1085193)
We still have one more question:- -should the passport be issued at Hyd too? His passport was re-issued at Chennai last year. Thanks in advance.

If the address in passport and license are not same, you will need an affidavit from a notary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raajks (Post 543174)
In Texas, you can drive rental cars with a valid Indian Original license (Not a xerox). For states like Washinton..you would require an International license even for driving rental cars.

Your best bet is to e-mail the state authority like what Ajo Joseph did or check with the state's website.

We trust each other here for posting the information that we are sure of. I trust team-bhp and my fellow members on anything on travel vehicles etc. and use this site for reference. I'm sure that many non-members also will be doing the same along with we- the members. Please do not post information on something which you don't know or haven't experienced.
You can drive for 1 year with your Indian license in washington state. See the website.
WA State Licensing: Moving? Get WA license
"If you are visiting Washington State from another country, you may use your out-of-country driver license for up to 1 year."

Be sure that IDL is only useful if the license is not in English.

Hey guys,

Can anyone throw a light on whether an IDP is required in the state of Tennessee ? A teammate of mine who had traveled there a while ago said that it is required.
But according to this : Tennessee New License Application Info - DMV.ORG , they would rather that we carry it.

Quote:

If you're a non-citizen who's simply visiting Tennessee, you can drive with your valid out-of-country license. Tennessee doesn't require you to also have an International Driver Permit, but the DOS does recommend it.
My Indian license is the non-credit card type (laminated printout). Will it suffice or will I have to change it to a credit card type thingy ?

*BUMP*

Any answers for the post below ? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 1084330)
In Germany, your Indian license along with a IDP will be valid for 6 months. Anything beyond that, you have to get a proper german license. Be prepared to shell out close to a 1000 Euros for that. And if you are moving to germany for long term, would suggest you start your process as soon as you land. It would take some 2-3 months as you would have to give both the exams - written and practical. Also, would suggest you do at least a few driving classes as well as the german examiners are very very tough !

I've mentioned this before. You don't need an IDP or IDL to drive in Germany. Your Indian license alone is sufficient for 6 months, but you must be carrying your passport along with you while driving.

Everything else, including the 1000+Euro:eek: is spot on.

please:

This question has probably been asked a hundred times over, but here's the situation. I'm really tight for time and can't really go through this thread from start to finish (I'm SORRY members, this sounds really bad but if you guys can paste links to posts here or repeat whatever's relevant in my case, it'll be a big help. My sincere apology to the mdos for behaving like this!)

Situation : Need an International Driving Permit ASAP.

Constraints : Flying to the USA on 28th early morning, going for a month, will be renting a car there. I'm told that an Indian licence is valid for the first 40 days but I'd like to have this document on hand even if for formality's sake.

Case Facts :

My residential address on every single official document I have ever got is the same. No hassles there.

I am NOT a member of WIAA as of now. If I have to become one, what is the procedure and how long will it take to do so? Will it make my route to the IDP quicker and more economical and more reliable?

I am above 21 years of age. No problem with legally renting a car in the USA.

My ticket and visa is obviously confirmed as of now, no problem providing copies.

The driving school is asking for INR 1600. Am I being ripped off? Even if so, is this my only choice?

I will be driving from Atlanta to New York City and back. Through quite a few states. May I generalize in saying that all the states I'm passing through will accept my Indian licence?

Edit: One more thing. I currently hold the new card-type driving licence. Both 2-wheeler and 4-wheeler on the same card. Got this done recently, very much valid for a long time.

I'm very grateful to this forum and everyone I know / anyone I don't and thank them in advance for taking time out to post here.

Awaiting replies.

In most US states IDP is invalid. They ask for IDP only if your host country license is not in English

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1266699)
In most US states IDP is invalid. They ask for IDP only if your host country license is not in English

Any states on the East Coast that you might want to mention in particular, which are known not to accept the Indian DL? From past instances or experiences.

IF a state does not accept a foreign driving license, most probably will not accept any non US license.
No idea about east coast, but in Nevada you need US driving license. I suggest you go to the DMV websites of the states you will visit, and they will have all the details.
As far as US is concerned, IDP has no value anywhere

Alright so here it is;

I'm going to be driving through South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, New Jersey and New York.

Any states in which my Indian licence won't be accepted?

I went to UK last year and had taken my international driving license with me as I wanted to drive my son's BMW there. To my surprise I was informed that I can drive only if I am accompnied by a UK driving license holder. Further my name and license details should also be added to the insurance policy (at a hefty premium).

The above was for a private car. I never tried to hire a 'self drive' taxi.

flyingspur, you need to check out DMV sites of those indvidual states. for Example in NY
From their website
Quote:

Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit. If you are not a resident of the US, you cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1267871)
flyingspur, you need to check out DMV sites of those indvidual states. for Example in NY
From their website

Thank you Sir, going through those DMV sites I've found out that I can, as a matter of fact, drive in the following states (bold) amongst the ones I'll tentatively be driving through.

South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Washington, New Jersey and New York.

Rest I'm not sure of, as of now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akj53 (Post 1267007)
I went to UK last year and had taken my international driving license with me as I wanted to drive my son's BMW there. To my surprise I was informed that I can drive only if I am accompnied by a UK driving license holder. Further my name and license details should also be added to the insurance policy (at a hefty premium).

The above was for a private car. I never tried to hire a 'self drive' taxi.

I am going to UK for 10 days from next week. I was all excited about my BIL's 320i and now read this:Frustrati. BIL says it is alright if a UK license holder is not accompanied, payment of premium is good enough. He also says IDL is goog to have and is not mandatory to drive in UK.

Any expert inputsplease:

Thiyags

I have extensively driven on my Indian DL for an year in the UK. Believe that if any continuous stay exceeds 1 year then an UK DL should be sought. But taking along an IDP is better.

IMHO, your BIL should be the expert. After all, he's the one living there and the 320 is insured in his name :-) Go by what he says; He can formally check with his insurers. UK insurers have myriad schemes and it's important to check with his specific insurer and specific policy.